DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gents,

I have been putting this off for ages but finally decided I'm sick of the terrible sound system in my Audi A5.
Some facts about my car and current mods that regard the audio system

1. I have an aftermarket head unit called RSNAV that is basically a full android system NOT CARPLAY and it can interface with most USB devices such as a USB DAC etc
2. I have replaced the rear subwoofer in the shelf with an Infinite Baffle setup and it's been working great for the past 3 years. INFO HERE on the system and I will add a picture here of its final state as it has been tidied up with better cable etc. The boot has been sealed airtight and sound deadened with dodo matt as in my head it would sandwich between the shelf and metal nicer than thinner materials.

My plan is to replace the current amp if possible with 1 amp that can drive the Infinite Baffle setup and the other speakers that will be replaced.
I will be going directly from the RSNAV into the AMP fully bypassing the Audi radio system and stock amp. If there's a way to keep the signal digital to the amp then id do that

I wish to keep the car looking OEM. I'm not looking to go insane or extreme with the setup I just want a nice audio experience. Anything is better than the stock system

Below is what Audi says is installed in my car but unfortunately, it doesn't give the sizes of the speaker units. I also don't have speaker number 23 on the rear shelf there are slots for them however, And obviously, the sub has been taken care of. so I count
7 tweeters
4 mids
Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tire Automotive tire

Attached is a rough pdf of what I'm planning to replace.

I basically just need what size speakers I can get away with fitting.
I have access to a 3D Printer and I do CAD for work so I'm not scared to make some baffles if that would improve the system

Below are pictures of Infinite Baffle setup
Hood Automotive tire Trunk Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Trunk Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
2,629 Posts
The depiction shows different than what I found online. It shows tweeters on the pillards. But online everywhere I've looked shows that the tweeters are on the corner dash. I'm sure the doors are 6.5s tweeters are probly 3/4" centre channel is probly a 3". Have you used the search function on this site to see if there is any other A5 here that has a build log.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey! yea I have crawled the site and there are a lot of other Audi builds but for the A5/S5 of my generation there's hardly anything.
I noticed a lot of posts starting to discuss upgrading this car but nothing bore fruit
My car 100% has tweeters in the front doors. see below. but it also has 3 tweeters in the dash two corners and one centre
and against the schematic that I posted there's only a sub in the rear shelf, not 2 tweeters but there were cutouts for them (that have been sealed but can easily be unsealed and added)

Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
Vehicle Hood Window Automotive lighting Car
Automotive lighting Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Car Motor vehicle White Light Automotive design

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
2,629 Posts
Tweeters in dash and tweeters in sail panels. That's a whole lot of top end. Are you consider going 3 way. Maybe a midrange in those corner dash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to do like for like just with better equipment and amp. but can you even get mids that are tweeter size?

Also was wondering about how many amps I'm currently pulling. My car has a 140A alternator, and a huge battery 80AH I have never seen it drop below 60% and it lives most of its life 80-90% according to the car's computer.

My subwoofer is a 700w and tbh I have to run it at the lowest settings otherwise it would blow my window out the back of the car. the amp's 1000w. I'm not sure how to calculate it I know 1000w divided by the batt voltage would be 76A. but I probably only ever run it at 20% power.... might be worth monitoring amps and checking or am I being paranoid lol I could probably downsize the amp and free some energy up?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I was going to do like for like just with better equipment and amp. but can you even get mids that are tweeter size?

Also was wondering about how many amps I'm currently pulling. My car has a 140A alternator, and a huge battery 80AH I have never seen it drop below 60% and it lives most of its life 80-90% according to the car's computer.

My subwoofer is a 700w and tbh I have to run it at the lowest settings otherwise it would blow my window out the back of the car. the amp's 1000w. I'm not sure how to calculate it I know 1000w divided by the batt voltage would be 76A. but I probably only ever run it at 20% power.... might be worth monitoring amps and checking or am I being paranoid lol I could probably downsize the amp and free some energy up?
You can fit a midrange in there maybe a 2.5. I wouldn't put 4 tweeters up front with you. Just the 2 at the sail panel. As far as battery. If you get a AGM for under the hood it will help. I have a 130 amp alternator with around 6k but I have an AGM in the front and 2 lithium batteries in the back. Component amps should not take alot of amperage to run. So I think k you'll be fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can fit a midrange in there maybe a 2.5. I wouldn't put 4 tweeters up front with you. Just the 2 at the sail panel. As far as battery. If you get a AGM for under the hood it will help. I have a 130 amp alternator with around 6k but I have an AGM in the front and 2 lithium batteries in the back. Component amps should not take alot of amperage to run. So I think k you'll be fine.
Might sound like a huge noob but whats a AGM?

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
1,660 Posts
You can fit 1” tweets in on the sails. It’s the same as my vw cc. I believe you also have 6.5” with same bolt pattern and molded speakers into the mounts as the vw cc. The upgraded Audi systems have 8” midbass. You can buy used dynaudio that are direct bolt in on eBay. And also Steg makes speakers molded into the moints just for vw audi

·
Premium Member
2014 Audi A6 3.0T stage 2.
461 Posts
If you have tweeters in the sail panels you have mid range in the dash corners and rear shelf. Probably 4”. You will have to make baffles for the front door mid base. 6.5” is standard but the audis can take an 8”. Changing speaker drivers will improve things but you are stuck with audis crap idea of tuning. The standard high end upgrade is 3 way active in front and the sub in rear. All those extra drivers are BS. I cant comment to much on the rsnav but I think it integrates into your mmi. Which sends MOST25 to amp. You need a unit that converts MOST25 to toslink to go into a dsp then rca into amps or a dsp/ amp combo. You will not believe the improvement.

·
Premium Member
2014 Audi A6 3.0T stage 2.
461 Posts
Selkec is right about the passat/audi dynaudio drivers. An easy bolt on for sure and sound great. I had a cc with dynaudio and it was awesome until the amp was destroyed by salt water because the amp is under the driver seat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts