DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a new Audi RS5, last summer. Originally, I wasn't going to touch the stereo... but the bug got hold of me!
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Grille

As with all my previous builds, I have 3 main criteria:
  1. Sound Quality (the best I can get, with what I have to work with).
  2. Stealth Installation (I don't want to see any of the system).
  3. Full Integration with the Vehicle's System.
Sorry to say, that I did all the work over a couple days, and got so busy that I forgot to take pictures of a lot of the install.
Here's the components, along with the few install pictures I did take:

Integration into the Audi (MOST150) fibre optic MMI system is handled by a NAV-TV Zen-V unit:
Rectangle Electronic instrument Audio equipment Font Wood

The Zen-V then feeds a Toslink signal into a Helix DSP-Ultra:
Rectangle Grey Font Typesetting Publication

The Ultra then feeds 4 Audison amps. I'm using Class D amps for this build. My goal is: full stealth, and no heat.
  1. SR 4.500 feeds the front tweeters and the front midrange
  2. SR 4.500 feeds the front midbass (bridged)
  3. SR 4.500 feeds the rear door tweeters and midrange
  4. SR 1.500 feeds the sub
Automotive tire Bumper Rectangle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

• Front tweeters are: Audison Thesis Violino II
  • Front midrange are: Dynaudio Esotar 430
  • Front midbass are: Audio Development W800-NEO
Automotive lighting Gadget Audio equipment Output device Gas

Rear Doors (because I often have people in the back seat) are:
  • Sinfoni Tempo 10 tweeters
  • Dynaudio Esotar 650 midrange
Automotive tire Audio equipment Rim Synthetic rubber Gas

Sub is: Hertz Mille Legend ML2500.3
Camera accessory Automotive tire Audio equipment Carbon Electronic instrument

The full system, laid-out on my garage floor.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Asphalt Gas Auto part

·
Super Moderator
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The Thesis tweeters are mounted in the dash, facing upwards toward the windshield. This location originally had an OEM 3" midrange driver.
I was apprehensive about putting them in this location, but after firing the system up and tuning, I am absolutely stunned at how good they sound!
They're a magnificent tweeter, and I honestly don't feel like I'm losing much (if anything) by mounting them where they are.
I'm sure a set of custom pods would improve the sound slightly... but my goal was full stealth:
Hood Steering part Steering wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire

They were a pain to get in there... pretty sure I'll never get them out (without removing the dash).
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

It's pretty much never, that I can brag about stuffing 8 inches of anything into anything...
But I can happily report that my W800-NEO's fit perfectly into the Audi door's OEM location.
Extension rings were made from MDF, and then primed, and then painted with two coats of Plasti-Dip.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper

I didn't take any pictures of the Esotar 430's, but they are mounted onto the back-side of the door skin with custom brackets that I had a friend (with a shop) make for me.
Shoutout to: SoundsGood Auto Services Inc. Metro Vancouver, BC

This area (circled in red) is molded into the steel of the door, to accomadate the OEM midrange depth. It also is just deep enough to fit an Esotar driver!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Rim

The doors are all covered with Noico 80mil CLD sound deadener - yes, I used Noico. I had a pile of it leftover from previous builds.
The inner door skins are treated with Noico Closed-Cell PE foam deadener.

Factory integration was a nightmare in this car...
Typically, you would just unplug the fiber MOST cable from the factory amp in the trunk, and plug it into the Zen-V...
But Audi updated their MMI for 2021, and the brain unit (with the fibre access point) is located behind the glove box. So it all had to come out.
I also had to run a fiber line from the glove box, back to the rear of the car (where my Zen-V is located):
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Here's the splitter cable, coming from the feed and then going into the MMI brain unit, and also feeding out to the line going to my trunk:
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Computer hardware Automotive exterior Electronic device

The Helix DSP is located in the spot where the factory amp was (behind the driver's side rear wheel):
The Zen-V is also tucked in there... but you can't see it.
Electrical wiring Audio equipment Computer hardware Electronic engineering Electrical supply

On the passenger side rear wheel; is where the stealth sub enclosure is.
It's a custom enclosure, made by Basser (in Poland). He built it and shipped it cheaper than I could even buy the material for!
Wood Grey Flooring Floor Rectangle

I stuffed it with Poly-Fil to compensate for the fact that the enclosure is slightly undersized for the sub.
Street light Audio equipment Headgear Gas Helmet

·
Super Moderator
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Back doors have Sinfoni Tempo 10 Tweeters, and Dynaudio Esotar 650 mids.
Total overkill for rear fill... but I had them sitting around from a previous build, so I used them here.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Wheel Rim

I used Noico butyl sound deadener on the steel frame of the doors, and Noico foam on the inner door skins (the foam is mainly to eliminate rattles)
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

I also put quick disconnect plugs on the tweeter leads (dangling on the left-hand side), in case I need to pull the doorskins off - they can easily unplug.
Motor vehicle Bag Automotive exterior Gas Machine

Now back to the stealth sub;
I drilled holes into the steel chassis, and inserted Riv-Nuts to hold the sub in place.
Then cut 5" lengths of threaded rod, and inserted them into the Riv-Nuts:
Also ran a length of 12awg wire from the amp area, to feed the sub.
Automotive tire Trunk Steering wheel Gas Vehicle door

Slipped the threaded rod through the pre-drilled mounting holes:
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Grey

And secured it with Allen Cap Bolts:
Hand Finger Thumb Nail Button

Worked out great. That sucker is in there tight! Give it a tug... it's solid. Not going anywhere.
Also note that Basser has pre-cut a notch in the lower right corner, to retain the factory 12V power outlet.
Automotive design Automotive exterior Grey Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Then I built an amp rack...
This is not the finished product, but just a temporary rack to get the system going.

Thanks to Amazon for the cardboard... I used it to make a template:
Hood Trunk Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

Then cut a piece of 1/2" birch plywood to shape, and covered it with black carpet... didn't take a picture of this.

Then I started laying-out the amps and power distribution:
Hood Motor vehicle Trunk Bumper Car

Finally, got it all wired-up:
The circuit breaker is redundant. I just wanted a means to shut the power off quickly, if I needed to make adjustments or move something.
Gas Electrical wiring Machine Audio equipment Cable

I have plans to re-do this trunk area... but I'm waiting on parts to arrive. Probably in a couple weeks.
The current wiring is a mess, and a total rats nest underneath that amp rack... but it works, and got me going.

I want to give a huge shout-out to @AudioGal for tuning my system. She is an absolute Wizard!
Can't thank her enough... it sounds incredible! Way beyond what I was expecting. Tuning is what makes the system.

Here's the trunk, with the cover on. Totally stealth, just how I wanted it. Full use of the trunk, to fit my kid's hockey bag, etc.
The amps are very mildly loaded, so they barely even get warm. This is why I bridged the midbass amp.
(cable in the left pocket is the USB programming cable for the DSP... I was on my way to get the system tuned, when I took this pic)
Hood Car Automotive lighting Trunk Grille

OK... so I totally hated the way the amps were layed-out in the trunk, so I rippied it all out and re-did it.

First, I built a power distribution section, with a 200amp rated plug, so I could unplug and remove the entire amp rack, if I ever needed to.
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Hood Automotive exterior Gas

I got a new battery holder, that sits flush with the top of the battery. The old one was too bulky, and I had to cut around it to fit.
As you can see, everything fits flush now.
Hood Motor vehicle Car Trunk Vehicle

I also made my own RCA's. They are all cut to size, to fit the application:
White Electrical wiring Gas Technology Font

Much tidier now...
Luggage and bags Trunk Bag Gas Technology

·
Super Moderator
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wow this is outstanding! I've seen gut shots of those Audison amps they look pretty nice. The little compartments are really cool i cant believe you fit everything in there..
Class D amps have come a long way.
These Audison amps are VERY nice sounding. I give them THREE thumbs up!
They're solid too. The whole thing is aluminum. No plastic.

And before anyone asks... I would say; "yes, they sound as good as my old MMATS amps".

·
Registered
2016 GMC Sierra
359 Posts
Class D amps have come a long way.
These Audison amps are VERY nice sounding. I give them THREE thumbs up!
They're solid too. The whole thing is aluminum. No plastic.

And before anyone asks... I would say; "yes, they sound as good as my old MMATS amps".
I was intrigued by these as audison has seem to fall out of favor here on this forum

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Really, really impressive work! The rivnut/threaded rod combo is genius! Also, thanks for posting the effort needed for the Violino tweets, I just picked up a set and was considering putting them in the same location.

·
Registered
375 Posts
wonderful car,great components and a well thought out install, hope all turns out amazing for a fellow member.

just kindly wanted to ask though wont the 4.500 being bridged yielding +450rms on an already super efficient 8inch midbass going to be overpowering the 10inch subwoofer barely recieving 500rms?

why not go:

1 x 4.500 bridged to front midbasses
2 x 5.600 with the total 8 stereo channels powering rear mid+ tweeter,front midranges + tweeters and 2 sub channels powering a dual 2ohm subwoofer

that way you would actually cut down to 3 amps instead of 4,still have adequate power for stereo yet have 1100rms going to your sub duty instead of 500 with a more balanced front end/sub.

·
Super Moderator
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
why not go:
1 x 4.500 bridged to front midbasses
2 x 5.600 with the total 8 stereo channels powering rear mid+ tweeter,front midranges + tweeters and 2 sub channels powering a dual 2ohm subwoofer
For anyone who has followed me... I tend to try a lot of new gear, and swap-out equipment often.
Then I hate selling the used stuff afterward - based on bad experiences.
Sell a guy a 6 month old amp for half price, and he still finds something to complain about... pisses me off, so I don't do it anymore.
Then, I end-up with a basement full of high-end equipment, just sitting around. Which pisses my wife off...

I already owned all of the speakers (from previous builds) and wanted to use them on this vehicle.
I mean, let's be honest; an Esotar 650 and Tempo 10 tweeter is WAY overkill for rear fill... but I had them sitting around for years.

Ya, the bridged amp to the front midbass might also be overkill... but that's where proper tuning comes into play.
Everything is blended nicely. The sub gets plenty enough power from that 1.500 amp.
It's a crazy loud system. Crystal clear. And none of the amps barely even get warm... that's what I wanted.

I have a friend who is an Audison dealer, and he gave me a great deal on those amps.
Shoutout to: SoundsGood Auto Services Inc. Metro Vancouver, BC

·
Registered
309 Posts
I want to give a huge shout-out to @AudioGal for tuning my system. She is an absolute Wizard!
Can't thank her enough... it sounds incredible! Way beyond what I was expecting. Tuning is what makes the system.

My pleasure JimmyDee , it was awesome being able to enjoy the massaging seat while tuning!!!

I am super happy that the system met your expectations. It turned out very nice !!

·
Super Moderator
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have to love Audi for not making things easy.
They did seem to over-complicate it.
With that said; it's a massive upgrade over any of their previous MMI's... but not installer friendly.

But let's be honest; when they were designing it, I'm sure the last thing on their mind was: "how do make this easy for some chump to tap into, so he can beef-up the stereo..."

·
Registered
2003 Jetta Wagon
793 Posts
Sell a guy a 6 month old amp for half price, and he still finds something to complain about... pisses me off, so I don't do it anymore.
Then, I end-up with a basement full of high-end equipment, just sitting around. Which pisses my wife off...
I'll take that deal and you'll never hear from me again! Might hear the car though. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts