DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driver:
Audible Physics xSoul4.
You can find more info in this thread:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/official-vendors-special-offer-forum/102419-audible-physics-transducer-info-specs-2.html

Mark sent me this driver to test out. So, I tested it on the Klippel with LPM & LSI to get the parameters and distortion values for Xmax. Then I used the omnimic, windowed the impulse to about 6.5ms which is just before the first reflection from the ceiling and took some measurements at 0, 30, and 60 degrees.*
Afterward, I moved the mic to 1/2m and did an HD sweep at ~100dB. Below is the data. Please see the attached forms for all Klippel analysis.

*NOTE: THE FR MEASUREMENTS WERE NOT TAKEN AT 2.83V AND THEREFORE ARE NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF SPL @ ANY CERTAIN VALUE. Use the Klippel LPM results to see measured sensitivity (86.75dB @ 1w/1m).

FREQUENCY RESPONSE at 0, 30, and 60 degrees:

HARMONIC DISTORTION 2/3/4/5TH ORDER @ 1/2M AND 100dB:

Klippel Sample data:

Xmax Values at 10% distortion:
Bl = 2.6mm (82%)
Cmin = 1.7mm (75%)

Cell Phone picture:

Attachments

·
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All in all, not bad. Xmax is a bit low but seemingly most affected by the suspension offset (constant at ~0.4mm). Bl offset is coil in at 0.2mm. Both of these offsets could be attributed to production variance or design as they remain symmetrical throughout.

2nd and 3rd order distortion look good; there is no overlap until nearly 100hz; otherwise you have nearly a steady 10dB delta between 2nd and 3rd order distortion.
Between most users' passband (ie: 200-5khz), the total harmonic distortion remains under 3% other than at 2300hz where you peak at 4.3% THD. Overall, not bad. I'm actually pretty happy with these results.
Keep in mind, this testing was done at 100dB whereas others (Zaph) does his at 96dB. 100dB @ 1/2m is roughly 94dB at 1m (3.3ft), and in the car this is typically the nearside driver distance. If you account for farside driver distance, these measurements come out to be close to 90dB (ballparking farside driver being about 5' away... too lazy to do the math here). This simply means that for every distance doubled, you lose 6dB.
When you consider you'll be listening to a stereo pair, this means you add 3dB. So, I figure at worst, this test represent farside listening at 93dB (which is pretty dang loud).

Regarding FR the driver behaves well on and off-axis. On-axis you have a response roughly about +3/-3dB from 300-10khz**. If you knock down the peak at 6khz via EQ (assuming you can) you have a pretty flat response to 8khz. If you limit the passband to 5khz up top you've got nearly a ruler flat response.
30 degrees off axis, this driver is good to roughly 6khz where the response falls below 3dB from average.

**NF plot not shown because, simply, the merging adds craziness to the plot and I'm too lazy to manipulate excel tonight to make it all pretty. In the NF you have a smooth response from 1khz down to around 200hz where the rolloff is introduced.

Bedtime.

- Erin

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Hmm, I expected just a little more throw out of the little guy.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Good deal. I'm fixing to get a pair in my grubby little hands:)

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I like all the testing choices. :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
354 Posts
My small dried up brain still doesn't understand all of this, but hey, the results still look good.

What I found most impressive is the multicolored distortion these speakers are capable of producing. Fascinating.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Could someone please post a link to the manufacturer's website and a link somewhere these can be purchased? (google returns no useful results whatsoever :confused:)

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
Could someone please post a link to the manufacturer's website and a link somewhere these can be purchased? (google returns no useful results whatsoever :confused:)
contact this member he is the guy you need to talk to:

Audible Physics

"Mark Brooks"

·
Registered
96 Posts
Anyone know what Mark's up to?
He's not been on the forums here for a week now.
I'm wanting to finalise something with him and have yet to receive a reply to my last email that was sent a few days ago now...

Cheers

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks Erin. I bought a set of these on impulse a little while back and am happy to see some real useable info on them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts