DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Bing, that is very awesome work and you're giving me new ideas..and that's Not Good - Not Good at all..lol

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Bing strikes again, looks like it just rolled off the factory assembly line

What is your impression of the tweeter-less front end, not sure if I have seen an install of yours without tweeters

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Fantastic job Bing! You did a superb job with those pillars - the XRs look incredible. I am really looking forward to getting mine installed. I'm also looking forward to reading your review in CAE. Great job once again!

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,355 Posts
Bing, LOVE the way you utilized the factory sub box and the integration. Way to think outside the box!! (HAHAHA get it outside the box.)

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Out of curiousity, since you used the Cleansweep (with Master Volume), couldn't you have just grabbed the signal before the factory amp?
I got the impression you grabbed it after, but I may have misunderstood.

Jay

Hey Jay,

on a data bus type of signal like this, i am fairly certain you cannot tap the signal before the amp, the signal arrives not in any kind of normal line level or speaker level or even optical line, but in some type of proprietary data bus signal that nothing can really interface with, think of it perhaps as optical interms of no volume control at the headunit, but at the same time, its not optical but a different kind of signal. I am not a tech guy so cant really explain it well...:)

perhaps there is more to it. but this is just how i was taught on this kind of stock systems.

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Erin hehe, from talking to Mark and Zach, and from looking at the rta on pink noise, i truly think these babies are meant for off axis or 60 degree off axis. the designed rise above 15-16khz seems to become more apparent as you turn it more on axis, which to me can result in fatigue. when you have it off axis or 60 degree like this, a few notches of eq, -5db q2.5 high shelving at 15khz toned it right now and it sounded beautifully balanced.

i would have done this car fully off axis, but i wanted it aim it up and out a bit to at least clear the instrument shroud a lil.

but it could also have to do with the car so i suggest doing some mock ups before you decide for yourself. :)

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,940 Posts
Bing, I really like those pillars. Great looking work there.

How are the mids aimed? Look to be about 60* off axis or so????
thoughts on how this setup sounds?

Edit: holy fail... I just re-read the OP and see where you said they're about 60* off axis. *smacks head*
So...that’s it...quite labor intensive but the end result was worth it for me. I will be posting a review of the XR DUO shortly, but to sum it up, they are AWESOME! Having this much of the frequency range (300 Hz and up) above the dash really makes a huge difference in an interior like this. The midbass is excellent, on par with the seas lotus reference I am used to, midrange resolution is SUPERB, and there is absolutely no lack of energy at the top end of the spectrum, in fact, there is a slight bump above 15khz built into the design...in other words, this is a two way system that sounds like a really good 3 way!

Anyway, that’s all for now...cheers! :)

Bing as always great build love the pillars and sub enclosure. Looking for to the CAE write-up.

Thanks for giving the Audible Physics line of drivers a chance.

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Bravo Mark on a great product, and thank you so much for your support in getting these to me in time and also helping with setup and tuning tips.

now i just wish more cars had big enough pillars that i can do them more often...as i usually dont get to do dash pods based on cosmetic factor from the customers :)

how about a set of 6.5" full range next Mark? :p i had a chance to listen to such a thing not too long ago in a car, and it was quite neat :)

21 - 40 of 113 Posts