DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The issue got resolved by the seller. I am sure many have excellent success with Audio Frog however my experience was less than great.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Sub'd to see where this goes... Lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The photos above are of the GB25's. They speak for themself. The last two of the four pictures show how the magnet on one of them is not aligned correctly at all. You can even see the set screw isnt making contact with the basket. I have tried to remove the screws and realign, however it is glued in position.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I left the GB60's at the office so I will take pictures of those tomorrow. They are worse than the GB25's as far as glue construction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Me too. Have you contacted Audiofrog? The man behind the company is Andy Wehmeyer and he is very reachable and responsive. He also is a member here @GotFrogs.
I have not, however I am not interested in waiting a week or likely more for the replacement process. I don't have much hope for replacement sets to be much better. I should clarify that there are many speakers out there with similar build quality issues, however they also cost a fraction of what these do. It's hard to overlook that when spending this kind of money. The worst part is that I spent weeks making custom enclosures to specifically fit these speakers, only to receive them like this. I am sure I wont have much trouble finding replacements for the GB60's and GB10, however I am not sure where I will be able to find a speaker comparable to the GB25's (at least on paper). Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I also suggest contacting Andy directly. I would be surprised if he didn't take care of this immediately.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
what would you say when you see even worse glue work on Bewith drivers - 5" for 2,5kEUR
You would never see such poor glue work on ZR Speaker Lab drivers,.....

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I would ask why the OP didnt contact AF first? It is a mass produced speaker from overseas and things can happen depending on the manufacturing run. If AF cant make it right or make the OP whole, then move on to a different speaker. IMO if a second set of speakers came with the same build issues, blast away at AF.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you are going to spend that time looking for a newer driver, then you can wait a few days for AF to work to resolve the issue. Every manufacture has issues, some more than others. Should the price demand perfections, absolutely. Based on your pictures, i would reach out to the AF to get resolved. In most cases that Andy has been involved in resolving any issue is it is done immediately. I have an small issue with the Illusion Audio Carbon C3CX speakers. I have noticed that the mounting holes are not exact between drivers and even on the drivers themselves. I can rotate the driver on the mount and the holes will line up, rotate again and they are slightly off. This became an issue when I was tapping the acrylic to mount the speakers as a few of the screws would not line up. After redoing a few of the adapters I created, I noticed this flaw and I am working around it by drilling the hole slightly larger and using locking nuts. In you case, you may need replacements especially with the magnet misalignment. If AF doesn't know there is a problem, how can they fix it in the future.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I thought those bottom chrome covers came off? I’ve seen photos of them detached from the GB25’s. I would love to see more photos of all the items in question.

Like other have said, Andy has some of the best customer service in the business and can most likely make the situation right for you.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
OP, I totally get your disappointment, but you need to know that ANYONE here could DM member GotFrogs (ie Andy Wehmeyer aka CIC of Audio Frog) here on diyma and I'd imagine you would have contact with him within 24 hours and have replacement drivers in the mail within 48 hours after the actual explanation of your particular problem(s).

You could save yourself some hassle simply by contacting him yourself now that you know this.

·
Registered
18,651 Posts
The photos above are of the GB25's. They speak for themself. The last two of the four pictures show how the magnet on one of them is not aligned correctly at all. You can even see the set screw isnt making contact with the basket. I have tried to remove the screws and realign, however it is glued in position.
Just a heads up, that "magnet" that is not centered on the screws isn't the actual magnet. Its a cover. The cover doesn't need to be perfectly centered.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: mattjk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not trying to insult the OP, but have you ever owned speakers before? A little glue overspilling on the dust caps is perfectly normal, some may be more than others, but if you do a quick GIS, you'll see even $100,000 home speakers have glue exposed.

·
Listener of Music
3,427 Posts
Yeah I have had sets of Phass speakers in my hands that weren't much better. I think your expectation of every set arriving at your door perfect is a little to high. You probably could have paid $499 for good sound, no warranty, and no customer service. Use that extra money you spent wisely and shoot an email to the company.

Reactions: mattjk

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I thought buyers were supposed to contact the dealer who sold the drivers to them and if its not resolved then contact Audiofrog direct. I don’t think Andy wants to be the contact guy for every issue when he has a dealer network to handle it. I’ll be honest and say I have three vehicles with AF GB drivers and I love them.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Where did you buy them?

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
So, the OP joined the forum just to bash AudioFrog....seems a bit fishy to me.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts