DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just down loaded this app and wondered if anyone knows if its worth a poop?
Seems pretty usefull as far as tone generator but, I expect the mic is way off at least.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
only as good as the mic on your phone unless you can connect a calibrated mic to it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Is it Audio Tool or Audio Tools (by Studio Six; about $20)? The latter I've heard good things about from a friend that owns a HT company. He says it's really nice for a portable program. The calibrated microphone thing should be considered though. The program is limited because of that but, for $20, it doesn't seem too bad.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Is it Audio Tool or Audio Tools (by Studio Six; about $20)? The latter I've heard good things about from a friend that owns a HT company. He says it's really nice for a portable program. The calibrated microphone thing should be considered though. The program is limited because of that but, for $20, it doesn't seem too bad.
but for $20 you can get trueRTA for a laptop and use the mic in the laptop with the same results. but you can easily add a cal'd mic to a laptop for less than like $100

·
Registered
840 Posts
Excellent point. My answer was probably jaded by the fact that my laptop just fried. Certainly a better option for someone who is not sans laptop.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just got an iPhone 4s and was wondering about this too...Which app are you using? I'd like a free one ideally.

What about the JL Audio Tools app?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Unless you can use a calibrated mic or get software that lets you calibrate your phone's mic (using an already-calibrated audio source), this would be 100% useless.

·
Registered
840 Posts
(JL)--Don't know anything about it. I guess it doesn't cost anything to test it out.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The JL software does allow you to set a calibration value. It also has 'presets' for the specific iPhones. So I selected the iPhone4 filter.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
This has been covered before, but...

Is there an RTA app for Blackberry? I have a BB 9900, and I think it has enough processing power to handle a RTA application. I can't speak for the phone microphone, but I just need something basic and I can't seem to find it. Even my old Palm Centro had a RTA app, and that was on 4-5 year old hardware as of this writing.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I'm on the Android format and even though the rta isn't dead on, its not far off either. It'll at least get you in the ballpark. That's what I used to tune my setup and my wifes. It helped remedy the issues I was having. For a free app you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
the "RTA analyze" from radonsoft seem to work really well. you can download pink,white and sweep .wav files for calibration and if you buy the "pro" version is will allow you to see 1/24 oct and it will save the cal info.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ok, now that I have the tools, where can I read about what to do with them... <embarrassed>

It does look cool though when I go "LAA LAAA LAAAAA" in the mic though.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Ok, now that I have the tools, where can I read about what to do with them... <embarrassed>

It does look cool though when I go "LAA LAAA LAAAAA" in the mic though.
lol, that is actually all you have to do! ;)

to tune using an RTA, you basically play a pink noise track on your HU, measure the response and change your EQ until it is flat as you can get it. then make small changes to taste :p

·
Registered
269 Posts
So in my case with no EQ, then I'm just seeing how bad my system really is then...lol

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
So in my case with no EQ, then I'm just seeing how bad my system really is then...lol
lol, pretty much. if you HU has treble and bass where you can adjust the center freq, you can have some effect.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts