DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone attempted to build there own? From the only hi-res photos I found the board is fairly simple, and if I lose the led that gets rid of three components. Frankly AC has been useless, it's like they never built the thing and have given me zero info on it.

If someone has already done this, great, if not and you have a ESP-3 remote you be willing to pull and give me high res photos of both sides of the pcb I'd be very thankful, and willing to shoot 5 bucks to you through Paypal.

I did search but after about five pages I didn't see anything related.

Thanks!
Ryan

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
AudioControl is at fault for not helping you reverse engineer their product?

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
what are you trying to accomplish? reverse engineer it? (not surprised AC wont tell you how to build it)

do you have one? (assume not since you want pictures) if you are just looking to add a center channel, there are other solutions.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an ESP with no remote. And I am reverse engineering it, but i didn't ask AC to give me part numbers and pcb specs, I asked for the pinout ( 4 conductors) . Its not that they won't give it to me, they have no info on it anymore.

It's not like two pots, 3 resistors, a diode and an led are a trade secret, they aren't selling it anymore and it seems like they threw all the info on it in the trash.

I know there are other methods, I'm just looking to make a functional piece of equipment FULLY functional again with the addition of that remote.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I have an ESP with no remote. And I am reverse engineering it, but i didn't ask AC to give me part numbers and pcb specs, I asked for the pinout ( 4 conductors) . Its not that they won't give it to me, they have no info on it anymore.
That is what they told you to make you go away :p highly unlikely they have no info on it. most places I have worked keep documents indefinitely.

It's not like two pots, 3 resistors, a diode and an led are a trade secret, they aren't selling it anymore and it seems like they threw all the info on it in the trash.

I know there are other methods, I'm just looking to make a functional piece of equipment FULLY functional again with the addition of that remote.
hopefully you can find someone who has it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah perhaps I'm being a difficult customer, although it was through them I was able to find the unit with no remote as they have no parts or units in the back anymore.

With the picture I have already really just a few shots of the trace side so I know the phone connector pins and I could build it. I suppose trial and error would work as well.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I am in the process of having an electronics savy freind draw me a parts/wiring diagram from his so I can build one for one of the ESP3 units I have that does not have the knob. Should be done in a couple weeks (the drawing and parts list, not the new knob)...I'll let you know.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good, if anyone still has one they can snap hi res closeups of I could get it finished very quickly, it wouldn't need a PCB, the components are simple enough just to be wired together and pots mounted in a custom fashion.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Sounds good, if anyone still has one they can snap hi res closeups of I could get it finished very quickly, it wouldn't need a PCB, the components are simple enough just to be wired together and pots mounted in a custom fashion.
Thats exactly what my freind said...I'll let you know as soon as I get the drawing and the knob back. Can also send you hi res pics. Maybe I'll have you make me one as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
(2) 0.1 uF Capacitors. They show a tolerance of “Z” which I don’t see much. Can’t readily find it, normally caps are J,K or M from 5%-20%. Should be fine with Digikey P/N 399-9777-ND

(2) 1K resistors Digikey P/N 1.0KH-ND

(1) 2K resistor Digikey P/N CF12JA2K00-ND

(3) Diodes, unsure here because of the photos. Look like standard 1A, 1KV DO41 style diode, but markings are 002.

Potentiometers, who knows. From what I can make out the larger is 333F V10KBX2, the smaller 204F V10KBX2. Searching and trying to understand the P/N's I assume they are V10K. Volume, 10K resistance. Don't know how to tell if that is right, or what the range, so I'm guessing. Really need to measure the range, whether its linear or logarithmic, and whether they are detented.

Do the units turn on/off? With the knobs fully counterclockwise is the ESP-3 off, LED off, and when you rotate you have a detent to turn it "ON", then a log scale as you adjust? Things to find out.

If they are just on all the time, I'm planning on losing the LED as you'd lose one resistor, and the diodes.

If he has any pics that would be awesome. Here's what I've sourced from the internet so far:

Also, if anyone has pictures of an ESP-2 that would help as well, as they are the same Spatial Restoration setup. Only the ESP-3 adds the Image Restoration, and you can see on the pictures above, all PCB's starts out as ESP-3's and then they snap off the Image side to make the ESP-2 remote.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So on an electronics forum it was suggested the Pot is a 10K, linear, dual gang ( 10K - B is linear, X2 is dual gang ). If that helps your friend along its probably the hardest part to exactly replicate. I found one and it was $25!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still looking for anyone that can get me some pictures of a knob. I am willing to pay for good photos.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you emailed me as well, but the most important pic would be of the trace side of the PCB, square on in a resolution such that I can follow it all.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, its been a while, but first some thanks:

rich20730 - sent me a pdf scan of the proper ESP-3 Manual. (I'll post a link below soon)

HUGE THANKS - billymonter

Without him, I'd still be floundering hoping for something to pop up on Ebay. He took a ton of awesome photos, as well as answering dimensional, resistance and operational questions - all in the middle of the night I might add. Allowed me to get where I am today so huge props to him.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So here is the completed PCB in Pad2Pad. I'm trying a company called Futurlec to have the PCB made, the first run is 5pcs, with solder mask but no silk screening. From China so it may be a few weeks before I see anything, but only $50 shipped for 5 pcs is pretty awesome. Would allow me to assemble and sell some others if it comes to it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Parts list from Digikey for all that you need, should anyone want to make their own. Once the boards are here and I confirm it is working, I'll just sell the extra boards off most likely for $10 or $15 each, although I might throw a completed unit on Ebay as well to see how much I can get, I see so many System90's, ESP2's and 3's without remotes on there.

Total would be around $40 as I ordered some extra parts for prototyping. Also I spent $11 just on getting good knobs, which you could save $5-6 more if you went with plastic.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts