DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Monday all. I am planning on adding a subwoofer/amp combo to my Ford Fusion. I don't want to replace the factory head unit, so I was planning on using an audiocontrol LC2i. Come to find out, the LC2i has an 18db/octave high pass filter set at 33hz. My first instinct was to return it and get the 7i version that does not have the filter -- but now I'm thinking otherwise. I have a vented box tuned to 30hz. The sub/box combo is modeled to have a bit of a spike - 6db or so - right around 33-35hz . Couple that with cabin gain [I do not know where this will 'start'] do you think it would be worthwhile to get the much more expensive LC7i? I am not planning on adding any additional amps.

Conversely, has anyone attempted to defeat the passive filter in the LC2i? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
that's strange/interesting. The manual/specs said 10 Hz to 100 kHz, +- 1dB. Where did you see this filter?

Edit: normally they say to use the Main Outputs (not the bass outputs, probably skips all those fancy features but just using it as a high-power converter)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is in the literature for the unit. The other models (lc6i, lc7i, lc8i) do have frequency response down to 10hz. A rep from audiocontrol replied to an email I sent about it. It is not bypass-able and the frequency isn't changeable with the PFM modules they sell.

I'm just wondering if I will get ANY response down low.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
If you have a ported box tuned to 30hz, you're not going to want to ask it to play anything below that anyway, so the HPF at 33hz isn't going to be a real problem. It's not ideal, and could get in the way in the event you want to build a sub to dig lower, but it's set right about where you'd want to add a subsonic filter anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts