DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So other than seeing other DIY members post about the brand, I have no experience. Most seem to agree they have great sound quality. That said, I'm looking for amps capable of High Res frequencies. It appears their 4 channel is capable. Is anybody running one? Live listened to a system with them in it?

Second question. Suggestions on other brands of High Res capable amps besides Brax? I already have one kidney on an IOU....

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
From what I understand, those are capable of 40k. I have also seen a few at 35k.
Can you hear that high? Last I checked, humans can hear 20 hz to 20000 hz, and can feel lower frequencies, but can't hear or feel higher than 20000 hz, and that's with absolutely perfect hearing, which none of us have.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you hear that high? Last I checked, humans can hear 20 hz to 20000 hz, and can feel lower frequencies, but can't hear or feel higher than 20000 hz, and that's with absolutely perfect hearing, which none of us have.
No. But I have read that the existence of those frequencies makes the ones we can hear richer. Has to be a reason some high-end equipment is capable of it if there was no merit.

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
No. But I have read that the existence of those frequencies makes the ones we can hear richer. Has to be a reason some high-end equipment is capable of it if there was no merit.
i think thats a rabbit hole that is not worth going down. Unless you have unlimited funds, and the ability to understand it and tune it.

Reactions: tfunk182

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeah, marketing!
So any who, I'm getting my audiofrog amps installed with my focal utopia speakers next month. Should be ready by July.
I'm going to have @Samb have a listen in P.A. So we'll see how that goes 🤪

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
I think that really applies to the frequencies beyond our hearing loss up to 20000 hz (maybe 15000-20000). The thing to really take into consideration is the higher switching frequencies needed to play cleanly up to those higher frequencies really moves the possible noise far outside of our capability to hear. It's more a quality thing than a Hi-Res frequency thing, Hi-Res is just a marketing buzz word.
So, I'm not saying don't buy a Hi-Res amp, just don't buy one because of the Hi-Res tag.

·
Vendor
20,477 Posts
These ones should sound very, cough, similar to the Audiofrog amps

·
Registered
9,436 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Wow, I had really thought about the AF amps due to their size, but at half the cost of a pair... It looks like the only difference is the CNC aluminum crossover cover. What came first, the chicken or the egg?

·
Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,208 Posts
Same internals?

Reactions: bbfoto

·
Super Moderator
2,441 Posts
Same internals?
I've got a friend who's an AudioFrog Dealer... he's going to buy one of the Em-Phaser amps, so we can open them both up and compare guts.
I'll be interested to see if they are identical. If so, then you are paying 3X the price for the AudioFrog branded cover plate.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Very nice Skizer. I see this same thing occur a lot in subwoofers. When you go to China to actually manufacture the entire product there is nothing stopping them from producing the same design without the badging for others. Really the only power one might have is if they do enough volume to cause a lot of financial damage to the producer. Much larger brands would likely have that sort of capacity to deal with this or they could buy the manufactured pieces from a variety of businesses in China then assemble somewhere else where there is more control or a legal means to enforce something which is proprietary. I saw this when working at a car battery plant that produced roughly 1/3rd of the car batteries in the US. Same battery just different badging/cases. Interstate vs advanced auto same battery for example thou a car battery is far more simple than a circuit board with all the varieties of chips they have so not exactly a great comparison.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I've got a friend who's an AudioFrog Dealer... he's going to buy one of the Em-Phaser amps, so we can open them both up and compare guts.
I'll be interested to see if they are identical. If so, then you are paying 3X the price for the AudioFrog branded cover plate.
Playing the devil's advocate, one key difference is that with the Audiofrog amplifiers, you would have a USA warranty and support. But when the other amplifier in question is less than half the retail cost, if it turns out to have identical internals and specs, is that piece of mind with the AF worth the extra cost?

Probably not for most people on this DIY forum. But it may be worthwhile to a general consumer who is having a shop install the amp or system.

If there is a problem, a reputable shop would handle the repair or replacement.

How quickly would they be able to source a replacement from Germany, or have it repaired?

And how does that cost factor in to their overhead and operating costs?

Do the Em-Phaser amplifiers go through the same QC regimen, testing, and acceptable tolerances at the build house that Andy has specified in his contract?

And will that German seller or source still be around next year???

·
Registered
07 Accord GS9-Arc Audio dsp-Audison Voce 5.1K+Due-HAT Legatia SE 3 way + Clarus 15 in IB
278 Posts
LMAO! I knew there was a reason Andy got so defensive about his amps when he had his meltdown. I think I'll buy one of these knockoffs and rebrand it "Sound Salamander".

1 - 20 of 72 Posts