DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Audiofrog - Made in China?

I've been looking at some reviews and builds I noticed Audiofrog has made a name for themselves. I read up a bit on them and noticed the president of the company, Andy, comes around this forum (nice to see that). The only thing unappealing to me is that these speakers are made in China. The build quality looks great in pictures, but with most things in my life that are made in China, they tend to break (iPhones, iPods, etc.). I got some KRK studio monitors that are breaking too.

I love watching Youtube videos where they tour the Focal, Dynaudio, SEAS, plant. It seems that they're very into their trade and they charge the right price for their passion. I think we can all agree 90%+ of the crap that comes from China, is crap. Maybe my perception is flawed but I would love for someone on the inside help me understand how those speakers could still be well made even if it's done by China. Are they using their own plant over in China or going to a bigger manufacturer that they order parts from?

I would like to try some Audiofrog products in the near future, but something about that price and the made in China tag makes my mind worry. This is not a hate post. I just want to understand some things about the industry and spark a discussion.

·
2,103 Posts
It is all about quality control. Going to China because it's cheap, you get cheap. Going to China with proper tooling, and quality control, and development, there is nothing wrong with it. It doesn't matter where it's from.

·
Registered
18,963 Posts
the fact that you, or anyone else, would think the geographical location of manufacturing of a specific product determines its build quality is just downright silly

·
Premium Member
9,212 Posts
You've searched the forum. You know the location of the manufacturer has not affected the quality of the Audiofrog products.

Where a product is manufactured only affects the quality of the product as much as the company will allow it to. Seems Andy has strived to make sure that it is not an issue with his products. Now, if you have a political objection to purchasing a product made in China that is a different topic all together.

Reactions: 619Tundra

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
the fact that you, or anyone else, would think the geographical location of manufacturing of a specific product determines its build quality is just downright silly

Well, um, their is the whole human rights side of it too. As well as the environmental concerns......not to mention the whole currupt curency fixing, but can't blame anyone for thinking this because the early days of Chinese manufacturing built up quite the reputation. Most folks simply don't realize that a good part of china's manufacturing base has modernized and is using quality control that's up to par, if the customer will support it. I'd imagine that audiofrog is supporting that kind of qc with their prices. If you go back to the 60s, Japan faced the same uphill battle, and look where their manufacturing quality expectations have landed.

·
Registered
18,963 Posts
Well, um, their is the whole human rights side of it too. As well as the environmental concerns......not to mention the whole currupt curency fixing, but can't blame anyone for thinking this because the early days of Chinese manufacturing built up quite the reputation. Most folks simply don't realize that a good part of china's manufacturing base has modernized and is using quality control that's up to par, if the customer will support it. I'd imagine that audiofrog is supporting that kind of qc with their prices. If you go back to the 60s, Japan faced the same uphill battle, and look where their manufacturing quality expectations have landed.
come on now. i think anyone with common sense would know that the build quality would have nothing to do with where in the world it was made,

Reactions: Smdaniel-11

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
come on now. i think anyone with common sense would know that the build quality would have nothing to do with where in the world it was made,
Ok, would you want your next surgery's tools hermetically sealed in Turkmenistan?

Think about it a minute, don't answer too fast. I know it's an extreme example, but just trying to relate to a young man who hasn't seen how far china's manufacturing has come from years ago....

·
Premium Member
9,212 Posts
Ok, would you want your next surgery's tools hermetically sealed in Turkmenistan? I know it's an extreme example, but just trying to relate to a young man who hasn't seen how far china's manufacturing has come from years ago....
When was the last time someone getting wheeled into surgery A) insisted on knowing where his surgery tools were manufactured and B) refused surgery due to the response of item A?

·
Registered
18,963 Posts
Ok, would you want your next surgery's tools hermetically sealed in Turkmenistan?

Think about it a kinute, don't answer too fast. I know it's an extreme example, but just trying to relate to a young man who hasn't seen how far china's manufacturing has come from years ago....
but were not talking about years ago ;)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
iphone, ipods. lol
Seriously, I dont know why power and home buttons fail... Those damn audio jacks are crap too. I've had 2 that failed on me.

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
Just buy them from Crutchfield. If you determine they are built like crap then return them. Or if you prefer to buy something not made in China then buy some German stuff.

·
Premium Member
9,212 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Running Rainbow Profi Kickbass right now. I got some of that Hasselhoff tickling my ear drums. lol

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
The company I work for used to manufacture their metal chassis's in china. The QA was ok but not to standards of our products. They moved production locally and we now have less hardware failures cause of it.

Reactions: LBaudio

·
Registered
689 Posts
Let's not forget that the Danes make some of the the best built and sounding speakers in the world. But every country can make garbage to excellent quality products. America made some of the worst cars during 70's and 80's. It's all about how much the manufacturer is willing to spend for that quality. It's probably why Audio frog and other top end speakers cost what they do.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It is all about quality control. Going to China because it's cheap, you get cheap. Going to China with proper tooling, and quality control, and development, there is nothing wrong with it. It doesn't matter where it's from.
Just a simple question. If it wasn't cheaper what would be the motivation to outsource?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
When was the last time someone getting wheeled into surgery A) insisted on knowing where his surgery tools were manufactured and B) refused surgery due to the response of item A?

Lmao, you totally over analyzed my question and missed the point........just a general question, using surgery to grab attention, an unknown country to fathom, and surgical tools to bring home the importance. The actual circumstances of the question are unimportant.

·
Registered
18,963 Posts
when i had surgery on my eye i made sure the scalpel was made by Scandinavian virgins out of the purest titanium they could dig out of the depths of their local volcano

Reactions: clange2485
1 - 20 of 105 Posts