DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Audiofrog - Made in China?

I've been looking at some reviews and builds I noticed Audiofrog has made a name for themselves. I read up a bit on them and noticed the president of the company, Andy, comes around this forum (nice to see that). The only thing unappealing to me is that these speakers are made in China. The build quality looks great in pictures, but with most things in my life that are made in China, they tend to break (iPhones, iPods, etc.). I got some KRK studio monitors that are breaking too.

I love watching Youtube videos where they tour the Focal, Dynaudio, SEAS, plant. It seems that they're very into their trade and they charge the right price for their passion. I think we can all agree 90%+ of the crap that comes from China, is crap. Maybe my perception is flawed but I would love for someone on the inside help me understand how those speakers could still be well made even if it's done by China. Are they using their own plant over in China or going to a bigger manufacturer that they order parts from?

I would like to try some Audiofrog products in the near future, but something about that price and the made in China tag makes my mind worry. This is not a hate post. I just want to understand some things about the industry and spark a discussion.
Oh ****. We have another one.

So, would your confidence in buying Audiofr0g products be more convincing if they were built in a van down by the river in Mayersvile Mississippi? Made in the USA right?

Ge0

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
when i had surgery on my eye i made sure the scalpel was made by Scandinavian virgins out of the purest titanium they could dig out of the depths of their local volcano
My surgeon used a rusty nail fished out of the sewers of Mogadishu...

Ge0

Reactions: Smdaniel-11

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Just a simple question. If it wasn't cheaper what would be the motivation to outsource?
The motivation is manufacturing lines are available in China. Not so much anywhere else. Why build your own facility locally and then pay to fill it with equipment when that already exists in some factory in China? You're spending millions of dollars to re-invent the wheel.

Ge0

Reactions: Smdaniel-11

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
This was in 2019. Finally?
It took me several trips to Shanghai before I trusted their high speed MAGLEV train. It's going to be a decade before I would consider hopping on one of their plains...

Ge0

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Everything is made in China, even your clothing and shoes, and you be surprised if you eat Chinese food from China!

This is a second time around of me having Audio Frog in my car.

I am extremely happy with AF!
Just because they are made in China, that doesn't mean it's a bad product!

AF is extremely well build and Andy will not let BS slip through his hands !

Support is also Phenomenal!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just a simple question. If it wasn't cheaper what would be the motivation to outsource?
Expertise. I interviewed several factories--in Asia, Europe and the US. Only two would agree to build and test according to our reliability and environmental test procedure. One in Indonesia and the one in China that I chose. All of the other ones asked us to eliminate or relax our test regimens.

In order for things to be "Made in the US", 70% of the content has to be sourced in the US. This rule is not the same in many European countries. In Italy, for example, there are two designations: Made in Italy and 100% Made in Italy. In some other countries, the country of origin designation is determined by "last substantive transformation". Those rules also vary a lot. In some countries, that can be a box or a sticker, in others a tax, in still others, it has to ACTUALLY be something substantive--like final assembly.

So, we follow the rules because defrauding USCBP is a massive fine and jailtime.

The people who build these speakers for us are also experts. They're a Tier-1 supplier.

And, they were more expensive than ANY of the other factories we talked to--because they have expertise.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Expertise. I interviewed several factories--in Asia, Europe and the US. Only two would agree to build and test according to our reliability and environmental test procedure. One in Indonesia and the one in China that I chose. All of the other ones asked us to eliminate or relax our test regimens.

In order for things to be "Made in the US", 70% of the content has to be sourced in the US. This rule is not the same in many European countries. In Italy, for example, there are two designations: Made in Italy and 100% Made in Italy. In some other countries, the country of origin designation is determined by "last substantive transformation". Those rules also vary a lot. In some countries, that can be a box or a sticker, in others a tax, in still others, it has to ACTUALLY be something substantive--like final assembly.

So, we follow the rules because defrauding USCBP is a massive fine and jailtime.

The people who build these speakers for us are also experts. They're a Tier-1 supplier.

And, they were more expensive than ANY of the other factories we talked to--because they have expertise.
Most of us understand all of that. How is it the US are leaders in the most complicated technologies but we don't have experts in making speakers? We can make the most complicated things on earth but can't do speakers. I'm also confused on the environmental aspect. China is well known for having very lax environmental restrictions. I'm most curious as to what percentage of your product costs go to the chinese gov't? I can't in good conscience give my money to the chinese communist regime unless there are no other options.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Most of us understand all of that. How is it the US are leaders in the most complicated technologies but we don't have experts in making speakers? We can make the most complicated things on earth but can't do speakers. I'm also confused on the environmental aspect. China is well known for having very lax environmental restrictions. I'm most curious as to what percentage of your product costs go to the chinese gov't? I can't in good conscience give my money to the chinese communist regime unless there are no other options.
We have lots of experts in MAKING speakers, but we don't have many factories that make car speakers. Some subwoofers and some that make home audio drivers. The environmental restrictions in China are not what they once were. Much more stringent now.

The factory that makes speakers for us is not state owned. But if speakers need to be political, then so be it. My job is to provide the best speakers I can.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
We have lots of experts in MAKING speakers, but we don't have many factories that make car speakers. Some subwoofers and some that make home audio drivers. The environmental restrictions in China are not what they once were. Much more stringent now.

The factory that makes speakers for us is not state owned. But if speakers need to be political, then so be it. My job is to provide the best speakers I can.
I would gladly give money to you for speakers but it would bother me knowing some of that cost went to the chinese gov't.

·
Premium Member
2015 VW Passat TDI w/ Stage-2 Tune
385 Posts
Where can you buy AF speakers in Canada?

edit; never mind I’ll check your website.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
You do realize probably 1/2 the stuff you own is made in China, right?? Probably the shirt on your back right now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is all about quality control. Going to China because it's cheap, you get cheap. Going to China with proper tooling, and quality control, and development, there is nothing wrong with it. It doesn't matter where it's from.
Welp, if you can't get employees that are passionate about what they are building, it DOES MATTER. and a work force paid peanuts, are not going to care, no matter if the raw materials, and design are top shelf.
Companies move to China for one reason, and that is almost no enviroment regs and cheap labor. You can do all the "quailty control" you want but when the folks putting it together don't care other than they need a job. you get CRAP.
I have yet to have anything last that was made in china. no matter what it was, or what brand it was. or the cost of the product, some being very costly. and their claimed Q/C dept. Why because the people getting paid peanuts don't care, and management only cares about numbers produced per hour/day/week/month. nothing more.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Welp, if you can't get employees that are passionate about what they are building, it DOES MATTER. and a work force paid peanuts, are not going to care, no matter if the raw materials, and design are top shelf.
Companies move to China for one reason, and that is almost no enviroment regs and cheap labor. You can do all the "quailty control" you want but when the folks putting it together don't care other than they need a job. you get CRAP.
I have yet to have anything last that was made in china. no matter what it was, or what brand it was. or the cost of the product, some being very costly. and their claimed Q/C dept. Why because the people getting paid peanuts don't care, and management only cares about numbers produced per hour/day/week/month. nothing more.
LOL.I know nothing about particle physics, but Ima write about particle physics here.

What makes you assume that the people who build Audiofrog speakers don't care about what they do?

·
Listener of Music
3,706 Posts
Most of the best stuff is now made or parts are sourced from outside the US.

My friend worked for one of America's favorite American tool companies. He made trips over seas several times a year on random pop-ups at their various factories. He said the only one he never had trouble with was the China one. It was the most well run with the most well trained workers. He liked going there. He said the difference was the management. The people actually cared about the product they put out. They weren't against random pop-ups or having environmental impact testing done on sight. All the workers were engaging and friendly, seemingly happy.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
It has nothing to do with quality as far as China goes in my opinion. JL, Minidsp, HAT and lots of others have been making top notch products in china for some time now. The Chinese factories manufacture the products specifically to the company owners specifications. Andy (AF owner) has stated why he went to China for his production. You can accept that or not and go with some other product. I'm sure AF products are awesome as everyone says. I just choose to buy products from anywhere other than China if possible. Has nothing to do with quality. I will not refute what a member on here said about his experience with Chinese products being faulty though. Faulty products are made everywhere.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts