DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to hear if anyone has opinions on Audiofrogs GB series? I recently picked up the GB10s and I was so excited to install them, and replace the tweeters from my Helix P235 set. I am not using the Helix crossover as the speakers are fully active driven by a Match DSP.

My first impressions were that the box was well packaged and came with a bunch of install gear. The speakers looked well built and girthy, but, I was immediately disappointed with the sticker that said Made in China, I think steam may have come out of my ears as I thought they were made in the USA.

I have had the GB10s installed for a week now, and I intend to remove them and put my Helix P235 tweeters back in. Maybe I was expecting results that were better than Audiotec Fischer since the cost was 2x, and the P235s came with 5.25" mids and crossovers.

Just curious to hear what others feel about the GB series. I may reuse my GB10s in another build or just throw them up on eBay. The relative value is just not there, and that damn Made in China sticker just irritates me as I know some 6 year old kid assembled the speaker in exchange for a bag of rocks.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just curious to hear if anyone has opinions on Audiofrogs GB series? I recently picked up the GB10s and I was so excited to install them, and replace the tweeters from my Helix P235 set. I am not using the Helix crossover as the speakers are fully active driven by a Match DSP.

My first impressions were that the box was well packaged and came with a bunch of install gear. The speakers looked well built and girthy, but, I was immediately disappointed with the sticker that said Made in China, I think steam may have come out of my ears as I thought they were made in the USA.

I have had the GB10s installed for a week now, and I intend to remove them and put my Helix P235 tweeters back in. Maybe I was expecting results that were better than Audiotec Fischer since the cost was 2x, and the P235s came with 5.25" mids and crossovers.

Just curious to hear what others feel about the GB series. I may reuse my GB10s in another build or just throw them up on eBay. The relative value is just not there, and that damn Made in China sticker just irritates me as I know some 6 year old kid assembled the speaker in exchange for a bag of rocks.
You should have said....

"Bag of rice"
Lmao

·
Registered
18,418 Posts
I'm gunna just say it.. you're an idiot if you think being made in china is a problem. Audiofrog uses a very high quality factory with some vigorous quality control.

Origin of manufacturer isnt the issue. It's the quality control standards that are put in place. I know of us based amp companies that have much high defective rates than Chinese made ones, same goes for italian, german, etc. Doesnt matter where it's made.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm gunna just say it.. you're an idiot if you think being made in china is a problem. Audiofrog uses a very high quality factory with some vigorous quality control.

Origin of manufacturer isnt the issue. It's the quality control standards that are put in place. I know of us based amp companies that have much high defective rates than Chinese made ones, same goes for italian, german, etc. Doesnt matter where it's made.

I second this.
No one pays any mind that your newest IPhone or Galaxy is made in Asia, but grab the pitchforks if your speaker was produced there. Silly to the nth degree

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

You misread my entire post. Relative value, the Chinese stuff should be cheaper since that is why manufacturing has shifted there. I'm not even arguing this topic as the topic was your opinion on Audiofrogs GB series, do you have one? How do you comp them with similar priced speakers?

I second this.
No one pays any mind that your newest IPhone or Galaxy is made in Asia, but grab the pitchforks if your speaker was produced there. Silly to the nth degree
No iPhone or Galaxy here - like Skize you MISSED the entire point of the thread...which was what is your opinion on AFs GB series? Do you have one?

If neither of you had comments I just assume you both agree that AF is way overpriced.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Come on man, you searched AF audio frog, the holy grail of car speakers. You may get lynched for talking bad about them here. I dont own them and have no plans to unless you give me yours. I just find it hard to believe you cant find a current review

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Come on man, you searched AF audio frog, the holy grail of car speakers. You may get lynched for talking bad about them here. I dont own them and have no plans to unless you give me yours. I just find it hard to believe you cant find a current review
I guess this was the wrong forum to inquire about this. I do realize forums tend to have alpha members that control the sheep members, and it sounds like Audiofrog is just that. No different than Rancho shocks on the Wrangler forum or a JB4 piggyback tune on the BMW forums. Glad I know that Audiofrog falls within that bucket on this forum.

·
Registered
18,418 Posts
You misread my entire post. Relative value, the Chinese stuff should be cheaper since that is why manufacturing has shifted there. I'm not even arguing this topic as the topic was your opinion on Audiofrogs GB series, do you have one? How do you comp them with similar priced speakers?

No iPhone or Galaxy here - like Skize you MISSED the entire point of the thread...which was what is your opinion on AFs GB series? Do you have one?

If neither of you had comments I just assume you both agree that AF is way overpriced.
And how would you know that they wouldnt be more if they were produced elsewhere? This entire post reeks of ignorance and absurdity. For the money, the GB line cannot be beat, period

·
Registered
389 Posts
I guess this was the wrong forum to inquire about this. I do realize forums tend to have alpha members that control the sheep members, and it sounds like Audiofrog is just that. No different than Rancho shocks on the Wrangler forum or a JB4 piggyback tune on the BMW forums. Glad I know that Audiofrog falls within that bucket on this forum.
If you tuned the system after you replaced the tweeters and didn't like it that's fine. I don't use or promote AF speakers. If you don't think they're worth the price that's also fine. Just silly to sound like you feel ripped off because they're made in China.
I've used speakers from all over. If it's a good design, made with quality materials, and has great qc control it does not matter where they are made.

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
I held off on responding last night, but...

You wouldn't have ruffled feathers if you didn't come off with prejudice statements based on where the speakers are made, "I was immediately disappointed with the sticker that said Made in China" and "that damn Made in China sticker just irritates me as I know some 6 year old kid assembled the speaker in exchange for a bag of rocks." Comments like this aren't a good look for anyone, they make you look really foolish.

Ignorant comments like this make discussion fruitless, since you've already made up your mind. There are a lot of great speakers that are being over looked today because of AF's popularity, but the truth is, they are popular for good reason. They are very well made speakers.

You can't be expected to know every member here, or their experience, but Skizer has probably installed, and tuned more cars with GB60's than you've had birthdays.

·
Registered
18,418 Posts

You wouldn't have ruffled feathers if you didn't come off with prejudice statements based on where the speakers are made, "I was immediately disappointed with the sticker that said Made in China" and "that damn Made in China sticker just irritates me as I know some 6 year old kid assembled the speaker in exchange for a bag of rocks." Comments like this aren't a good look for anyone, they make you look really foolish.

Ignorant comments like this make discussion fruitless, since you've already made up your mind. There are a lot of great speakers that are being over looked today because of AF's popularity, but the truth is, they are popular for good reason. They are very well made speakers.

You can't be expected to know every member here, or their experience, but Skizer has probably installed, and tuned more cars with GB60's than you've had birthdays.
Idk man, with him still spouting that shit these days hes had to have had a fuck ton of birthdays. He'll probably complain to his friends about this and how it used to be better back in their day lol

·
Registered
176 Posts
The only product from AF that I own is a GB12 and I love it. I like it so much that I've decided to try AF's GB60s over Dynaudio e650s (which I also have NIB). I'll happily update the post next week once they are installed.

To the country of manufacture comment, who knows how much the speakers would cost if they were made in the US with our higher priced labor. As long as the product is quality, I'm indifferent of where it's made and by who.

Andy the President of AF is also worth a shout out. When I was deciding on an enclosure for the GB12, he answered my questions. I cant imagine the owner of most car audio companies taking the time to do that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And how would you know that they wouldnt be more if they were produced elsewhere? This entire post reeks of ignorance and absurdity. For the money, the GB line cannot be beat, period

Audiotec Fischer all day, all day long. For the money, a cheap pair of Polks or Kicker is a better relative value than these GBs.

If you tuned the system after you replaced the tweeters and didn't like it that's fine. I don't use or promote AF speakers. If you don't think they're worth the price that's also fine. Just silly to sound like you feel ripped off because they're made in China.
I've used speakers from all over. If it's a good design, made with quality materials, and has great qc control it does not matter where they are made.
Correct, after tuning and all, I don't think they are worth the price.

I never said I felt ripped off because they were from China. This Skize dude is skewering my comments. I was disappointed to learn they were made in China. When I think high end electronics, I think Germany or a small local shop. I really though Audiofrog made their speakers in-house, my bad for thinking that.

To some degree I agree with you, if I refrained from using China would I have received honest feedback, IDK, hindsight 20/20.

Sounds like you gave a rationale and honest opinion, unlike Skize. Sounds like that Audiofrog is priced higher due to supply and demand.

Idk man, with him still spouting that shit these days hes had to have had a fuck ton of birthdays. He'll probably complain to his friends about this and how it used to be better back in their day lol

You are just a douche, plain and simple. Sorry that I hurt your feelings that I don't think Audiofrogs are anything to cheer about.

·
Registered
18,418 Posts
Audiotec Fischer all day, all day long. For the money, a cheap pair of Polks or Kicker is a better relative value than these GBs.
I said for THE money. Kickers and polks dont cost 1700 for a 3 way set. What I'm saying is you can damn well bet that there is nothing in the 1500 to 3000 dollar price point that will touch these things in sound quality, output for a sound quality based speaker, ease of install, install flexibility, support, and more.

Oh wait, they were made in china so nevermind. Get yourself some eminence speakers if that's how you feel about china lol

1 - 20 of 179 Posts