DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to use the optical/SPDIF input in the Bit Ten with my iDevices, but I can not seem to find any devices that will take the digital out from the iDevice to the optical/SPDIF in on a Bit Ten.... any suggestions? Ideally, I would like to be able to control the iDevice remotely (like I do currently with my iPod in my glovebox, HU controlling it). I tried connecting the Apple HDMI adaptor to an iPad 2, but my HU got stuck on "searching", I tried the adaptor to my TV, using the optical out on the TV, that worked, but when I tried to use a small HDMI to optical adaptor (with HDMI passthrough), no audio came out of the optical out until I connected a TV to the HDMI out port on the device. Suggestions? Thanks!

Doug

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
The Pure works nicely, but it doesn't allow for remote navigation of the iDevice via head unit.

This is a very new topic and VERY dependent on EVERY piece of equipment use (ie iDevice (maybe even OS version), HDMI to S/PDIF (ie Toslink) extractor, specific head unit used.

Take a look toward the end of this thread. There are a few options that have worked.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/bikinpunks-product-review-forum/105710-alpine-h800-vs-h701-vs-audison-bitone-1-technical-comparison-9.html#post1428057

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yes, there is, but most devices like this are made for home use and manufactured for the European - AUS - Japanese market. Apple must have cut some kind of exclusivity deal in the US, since these products are not ever for sale here en mass. Another product just like the Pure is the Onkyo - ns-1 or something very close to that.

These both have bases - and iirc both use external power supplies - and could be operated from DC by the use of an adapter. I suspect noise would only be an issue if you mounted it in a henky location. If I do it, I'll likely mount the base unit under a seat and run an extention ipod cable from the base to a mount in the glovebox or someplace easily reached. At this point, I'm really most interested in finding out about the GUI of these two products and how easily they control the song selections - random - and the like. That makes a huge difference, since you can't really safely spend a lot of time looking at things while you're driving.

I'm looking at going this route after using a Sarotech digital media player and a 500gb hdd system for the past 3 or 4 years. Its really been a wonder for me and I've often wondered why more people haven't tried it. The only reason I"m looking at a change is that I now have two ipods - 160 and 120 and I can house enough media (video and audio) to make it worthwhile. Also, the Sarotech unit is a little shy of internal memory and sometimes the sound drops out for a few seconds as you shuffle through the menu... and that's just annoying.

Anyhow, I think that's all you'll see in terms of adapters at the moment. Still, people seem to say good things about those two products. I'm actually here searching for a review from a mobile user, but can't find one yet.

A few months late but hey....

·
Registered
946 Posts
Cool - that link is to the US store. I was pretty sure they couldn't sell them directly here - perhaps due to the high dollar Wadia transport and a potential contract with them and apple. The price is great at that link too - the European sellers on ebay always want 150+.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Cool - that link is to the US store. I was pretty sure they couldn't sell them directly here - perhaps due to the high dollar Wadia transport and a potential contract with them and apple. The price is great at that link too - the European sellers on ebay always want 150+.
-Yup, bought mine directly from the US site, no problems no issues what so ever.

-The GUI is exactly as it would be if you did not have the device in a dock, with the exception that the volume control slider goes away. It boots and syncs in less than 5 seconds, syncs in a couple if iirc. It is also compatible with other media players that use the idevices library. ie flictunes, leechtunes. As well as other media sources that stream or play from their own dir like MOG. I used leech tunes and like it a lot. You can use programmable gesturing, and make and edit queue/playlist. Something that is a little more involved in the ipod app. And some things that are REALLY cool like setting the device to bypass auto lock when in the app, that way you don't have to worry about it locking up in the car and can still autolock elsewhere when the app is in the background. And it will go directly to the song that is playing on the main screen when you switch to queue view, no need to fumble around looking to see where you left off.

-This guy might be the first to use one in the car and report how it works, might want to subscribe to it and see. The PS I recommended is pretty affordable and high quality and he is using the analog outs. So if it goes well for his application then a digital out with maybe even a better PS should work perfectly.

-There is also the option of using the head unit to control and display the ipod along with an apple digital av adapter and hdmi to spdif extractor into the bitone. no guarantee it will work but all you really need to spend is the cost of the av adapter dongle and test it out on any old home receiver with hdmi in (assuming you have one of course). If it puts out audio and navigate from the deck at the same time, then your set. Then you can buy all the other stuff and pretty much be guaranteed it will work. unless of course the home device you used to test enables something in the ipod hdmi out that an hdmi extractor would not. But I doubt because the quality pieces from startech, gefen, and kramer electronics have hdmi compliance certification.

HDMI® to DVI-D Video Converter with Audio

Side note: I don't know how long they take to boot up though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts