1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
18,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driver:
Audison TH 3.0 Voce

Mfg. Specs:
http://www.makeracesound.com/Sound/audison_TH_3.0_tech_EN.pdf

Thanks to SouthSyde for lending me his driver for testing.

Notes:
  • I've attached reports in pdf format. I have also provided pictures of the more popular type data.
  • FR Testing at 0, 30, and 60 degrees as well as the accompanying HD data in this graph is done at 1m. You can see an approximate sensitivity at 2.83v/1m of 90.5dB.
  • The more strenuous testing was done at 1/2m, 9.5vrms, which gives approximately 102dB output at this distance. Note, HD distortion is given as % of fundamental in a standalone. I like this. Makes it a bit easier to decipher. Keep in mind that this being an 8 ohm and therefore a lower sensitivity driver means that more voltage is required to get to X level.
  • IMD Voice sweep was done at 1/2m at the various voltages presented in the results.

• Windowing was approximately 9.5ms which provides useful data to just below 200hz.

·
18,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Large Signal:

Xmax Limiting Parameters at 10% distortion:
  • Bl @ 82% = 2.3mm
  • Cms @ 75% = 1.3mm
Bl symmetry shows coil in offset of 0.45mm at rest to 0.23mm at full xmax.

Kms symmetry shows coil out offset of 0.51mm at rest to 0.217mm at full xmax.

This driver uses a shorting ring (as judged by its symmetry in Le(x)) which gives a very low overall inductance delta of .036mH from excursion in/out to rest.

As always, see attached report for full data set.

Attachments

·
18,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Analysis
(later)

Now, feel free to discuss what's here. I'll post up an analysis later but knock yourselves out if you'd like to get the ball rolling (and maybe save me the trouble of doing the analysis ;)). Time to go play blocks with my daughter!

- Erin

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thanks Erin for doing these test. Ok I'm trying to get my head rapped around these numbers and graphs. If I'm looking at this right this driver has good not great xmax and should play up to about 7-8k hz with low distortion and the suspension is offset. Correct? This more of a question than a statement. Thanks for any feedback.

·
18,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The xmax of this driver is pretty minimal. To the point where it pretty much shows you not to expect much low end response. Of course, it's a 3" OD driver so...
Couple that with the rising HD; at 300hz you're near 3% THD and at 200hz you're at 7.5% THD. This is nasty. This is why crossing small drivers low is not a good idea. Most don't have the goods to pull it off.

Regarding FR, it depends on intended passband. I don't like it. Nearly +/-2dB throughout; certainly not great. Beaming at about 3khz. The best response looks to be 30* off axis. The peak at 7khz is a driver issue evidenced by the fact it shows up in all axes. Not going to be able to EQ that out effectively.

Yep, asymmetry in both Bl and Kms.

Good job (hope that doesn't sound patronizing)!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Ok thanks for your input, I'll keep doing my home work. BTW what would be good xmax for a 3 inch driver for future reference?

·
Registered
384 Posts
^^ "Good" would be dependent on the application of the driver.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Why's the THD much lower at the higher output level than it is @ the 2.83 volt setting? Switched graphs?

Also you have 90 and 85 sensitivity ratings for the same voltage/distance? :confused:

·
18,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll have to heck the graphs when I get home but it looks right. No idea why there's such an increase in the farfield unless thats really what is happening or I had some other sort of contributing noise during the test which shouldn't be the case.

·
18,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Frank, I tested the driver again at both distances (0.5 meter and 1.0 meters). The results are below.

The trends are the same. I'm not sure why the 1khz distortion is higher in the far field overall. I'll have to think about it a bit.

1 meter:

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Thanks for that. It'd be interested to see the effect that causes that. Could it be the extra time needed to take the reading further away allows more of the baffle effect to reach the mic for lower frequencies? Dunno just reaching here. :confused:

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I have the Audison Voce 3, standard series - not Thesis. Had success crossing them at [email protected], pretty high distortion below that. These seem alike in some aspects, almost same Fs. These doesn't seem to perform that good, high distortion below 1,5kHz according to plots.

The Voce 3 ain't the best speaker I've had, not by any means bad though. Gotta put them in a smallish sealed box since they have such limited Xmax. They have more warm than detailed sound, sound best placed onaxis imo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts