DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As everyone here knows by now, the Aura NS3 is an excellent-sounding driver with a cutting-edge motor at a wish-upon-a-star price. However, the NS3 has one major weakness: its cheap thin stamped steel frame. While it's easy to mass-load the arms of the basket, the rim remains a problem. It can vibrate audibly and is kind of ugly as well.

Does anyone have any ideas to tame it? My first thought is to rear mount it (the composite walls of the MLTL* enclosure I'm using are only about 3/16” thick)and attach a second thin but heavy baffle (maybe .25” HDF, Hardibacker, or ceramic tile, because I have each of those in my garage; 19mm MDF would be too thick I think) behind it to mass load the ring, but if someone has a better idea I’d love to read it.

*Mass-loaded transmission line. As you may have guessed, this question isn’t for a car install, but a new pair of nearfield monitors.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have only seen the pics on Madisound... do you, or anyone else have more detailed shots from diff angles?

I'd like to brain storm on the same since I am interested in the driver as well...

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I think flush mounting is still your best option. Rear loading with anything substantial is going to give you some bad diffraction off the edge of that driver.

Hmm whats that upgraded mounting package that Linkwitz charges way too much for with his Orions? An L bracket that holds the driver in place, and then you could set it flush with the front baffle and load the rear of the driver and mounting flange with clay?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.