DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
i'd definitely like to hear a review, might grab a set for rear fill if you like them

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,367 Posts
I had these several, like 7 years ago in a car. They were a great deal then and an absolutely fantastic deal now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
For $55, these might be the leading economy component set. I would lay money they are much better than those Cadence comps. I might just try a pair out. No telling how many PE has in stock though.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The 5.25 mids look just like the Madisound mids minus the magnet cover, which are $10 each plus shipping. Aurasound NS525-355-8A 5.35" Poly Cone: Madisound Speaker Store

Getting the tweeters and crossovers for ~ $32 assuming similar shipping cost.

The published freq response is a little peaky from 1-3 KHz but may smooth out off axis.

·
Registered
148 Posts
FWIW, the woofers at Madisound are the 8 ohm versions. Not sure how much that matters. I'd bet the cone, spider, surround, basket, etc are all the same.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i just picked up a pair as an impulse buy. is there anything you can tell me about them?
They are blue!

Seriously, what info are you looking for? They are very nice quality for the price.
I think they will match up with other component sets that are 2-3 times the price. Just solid choice for someone doing a budget system. They are inexpensive but well built.

·
Registered
114 Posts
They are blue!

Seriously, what info are you looking for? They are very nice quality for the price.
I think they will match up with other component sets that are 2-3 times the price. Just solid choice for someone doing a budget system. They are inexpensive but well built.
after pulling the trigger on the cheapest audio purchase i've ever made, i guess i'm looking for someone to get me through some buyer's remorse (not really).

i bought them to play with positioning in my car and as it will be my first time running active, it won't be the end of the world if i fry a tweeter.

specs say 50 watts power handling? conservative rating?

·
Registered
148 Posts
after pulling the trigger on the cheapest audio purchase i've ever made, i guess i'm looking for someone to get me through some buyer's remorse (not really).

i bought them to play with positioning in my car and as it will be my first time running active, it won't be the end of the world if i fry a tweeter.

specs say 50 watts power handling? conservative rating?
You shouldn't have any remorse. They are a lot of speaker for the money. Remember the 50w rating is thermal. Good clean bursts of peak power will not hurt them whatsoever. Just remember, they are 90db efficient so I doubt they need more than 35-50w to come alive. I plan to run mine with an old Zed Hifonics 4x45w Eagle. I expect it to be plenty of power for my listening habits.

·
Registered
114 Posts
the package arrived and the reverse-buyer's remorse vanished. i haven't heard them yet, but just build quality wise, i would have expected these to cost a lot more. they look great. thanks to the original poster for bringing them to my attention

·
Registered
316 Posts
Bought a pair for my daily driver!

Was looking for a pair of tweeters to go with my HDS mids, but for the price, I figured I could use the tweeters from this set if needed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Running these active now. Didn't get to tune them yet .

Any ideas what the passive crossover's crossover point is? (looking for a good starting point)

They sound super bright out of the box/untined

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had them running for the first time less than 24 hours ago. My primary references are good 2 channel home speakers and a pair of Polk SR-6500's, which were the last pair of car speakers I'd lived with for a while.

Tweets are in the stock '08 Legacy/Outback location (upper door card near sail panel). Aimed across the cabin and up around 10-20%.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts