DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

· Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am friendly with a gentleman that has one of the last NS 18s that I knew to be brand new and he has it IB in a 3 series. May still lurk or post here, I'm not sure. I'm curious if anyone on here has the same experience or is possession of these beautiful subs? They're on my very short holy grail list next to the w15gti and Eclipse Titaniums

Automotive lighting Toy Automotive tire Bumper Hood

· Registered
314 Posts
They sound great bro ill never sell mine, don't run them to rms is my advise the design has issues with reliability when push

They we're too good and rare ill wished I got a second one and I took it out of the car its for home

· Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They sound great bro ill never sell mine, don't run them to rms is my advise the design has issues with reliability when push

They we're too good and rare ill wished I got a second one and I took it out of the car its for home
Lucky man right here. They're something special to see in person

· Registered
314 Posts
I own both ns12 and ns15
Ill be honest I couldn't tell the difference between the ns15 and exodus tempest x2 15

At those really low and deep home theatre "movie" frequencies on a really low distortion driver

I couldn't tell a difference at all between them if anything I simply like it more due the sexy looking neo motor and all that placebo

So before you spend your money...

The ns12 i love it more then and scanspeak sub or such

· Registered
1,744 Posts
I've ran both the little and big NS12's (2" and 3" coil) and the NS15 and they are by far my #1 favorite subs of all time. I used to be a huge Aurasound fanboy when they were still making their MR components and amps, which the components also used the same motor design just scaled down. What's not to love about a fully shorted underhung neo-radial? The only issue with them was the temp resistance of the neo grades and coating at the time so they could not handle much power before the magnet coating and the magnets themselves started disintegrating.

I've actually spent the last few months recreating the motor design of these Aura subs with the use of higher temp grade N42SH radial magnets that can withstand up to 150℃ instead of 70℃ like the neo of 20 years ago and bought a coil winding machine so I can make custom 3" 4-layer 22awg coils with 150℃ wire. Should be able to get the same sound with more power handling. Actually going to assemble the first 15" prototype in the next few weeks and send it off for Klippel testing. Simulated bl(x) and le(x) both within 80% at almost 20mm one way. (not the final revision pictured, just some development pics).
Colorfulness Rectangle Azure Font Slope

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern
Gas stove Kitchen appliance Kitchen utensil Kitchen stove Stove

· Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've ran both the little and big NS12's (2" and 3" coil) and the NS15 and they are by far my #1 favorite subs of all time. I used to be a huge Aurasound fanboy when they were still making their MR components and amps, which the components also used the same motor design just scaled down. What's not to love about a fully shorted underhung neo-radial? The only issue with them was the temp resistance of the neo grades and coating at the time so they could not handle much power before the magnet coating and the magnets themselves started disintegrating.

I've actually spent the last few months recreating the motor design of these Aura subs with the use of higher temp grade N42SH radial magnets that can withstand up to 150℃ instead of 70℃ like the neo of 20 years ago and bought a coil winding machine so I can make custom 3" 4-layer 22awg coils with 150℃ wire. Should be able to get the same sound with more power handling. Actually going to assemble the first 15" prototype in the next few weeks and send it off for Klippel testing. Simulated bl(x) and le(x) both within 80% at almost 20mm one way. (not the final revision pictured, just some development pics). View attachment 353025
View attachment 353024 View attachment 353026
That's f***ing awesome!

· Registered
2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring Reserve
508 Posts

I've actually spent the last few months recreating the motor design of these Aura subs with the use of higher temp grade N42SH radial magnets that can withstand up to 150℃ instead of 70℃ like the neo of 20 years ago and bought a coil winding machine so I can make custom 3" 4-layer 22awg coils with 150℃ wire. Should be able to get the same sound with more power handling. Actually going to assemble the first 15" prototype in the next few weeks and send it off for Klippel testing. Simulated bl(x) and le(x) both within 80% at almost 20mm one way. (not the final revision pictured, just some development pics). View attachment 353025
Do you have a thread tracking these updates? I'm sure you'd have interest if you plan on selling these.

· Registered
1,901 Posts

Now this is great stuff right here, very interesting and fun to see this

· Registered
1,744 Posts
Do you have a thread tracking these updates? I'm sure you'd have interest if you plan on selling these.
No thread. I'm just working on a manual lathe and building in my garage. I highly doubt that I would be able to sell one for any more than the cost of materials to make it. I have built subs for around a decade now and couldn't even hardly give them away whenever I'd try and sell them. If it turns out good I wouldn't mind selling the design, bom, and the process planning to a speaker company that wants to diversify.

· Registered
508 Posts
No thread. I'm just working on a manual lathe and building in my garage. I highly doubt that I would be able to sell one for any more than the cost of materials to make it. I have built subs for around a decade now and couldn't even hardly give them away whenever I'd try and sell them. If it turns out good I wouldn't mind selling the design, bom, and the process planning to a speaker company that wants to diversify.
If you don't mind me asking, what do you think it will end up costing to make once you have everything figured out? I think a few of us might just be interested for the novelty.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
Should be a little over $400 each to build one. Steel is actually the most expensive part of it, for some reason 1018 has skyrocketed in price. There's almost $200 in steel in just the motor and it only weighs 18 pounds. But it's locally sourced with ASTM instead of Chinese steel so it's not melted skyscrapers.

I would hope people that would want to buy one would want it for its low distortion and high output performance more than as a "novelty". Perception is the most important thing over performance: a DIY sub with good quantifiable performance will always be a novelty unless the same thing is made by an established brand where then it would actually be revered.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
That level of diy makes my morning, I can't imagine a sub beating the aurasound

Maybe match it but not beat
The crux of the original Aura drivers is low power handling and low thermal capacity. What I'm doing is creating an evolution of the original design just made for higher output and more power handling. Think along the lines of an Aura NS and an Audiomobile MASS having a baby and this is it. I'll be happy with 500-700 watts rms, but will have a temp probe on the back side of the magnets to monitor their temperature. If it can stay within temp range at that power, my next prototype will probably be a 6 layer 24awg triple voice coil on titanium and shoot for more power.

But I started this as a project for myself with no intent to make a product or anything.

· Registered
314 Posts
To be honest with you I was saving to buy a raven 12xl which will cost me about 1k aud

From what I understand the raven is a slight improved illusion c12xl

If your confident in the performance of the driver ill go with your design first, I might even end up getting a second one

· Registered
508 Posts
Should be a little over $400 each to build one. Steel is actually the most expensive part of it, for some reason 1018 has skyrocketed in price. There's almost $200 in steel in just the motor and it only weighs 18 pounds. But it's locally sourced with ASTM instead of Chinese steel so it's not melted skyscrapers.

I would hope people that would want to buy one would want it for its low distortion and high output performance more than as a "novelty". Perception is the most important thing over performance: a DIY sub with good quantifiable performance will always be a novelty unless the same thing is made by an established brand where then it would actually be revered.
I only meant novelty in the sense that you might have a few people willing to spend a bit extra for something unique. Maybe it's not as prevalent anymore, but the forums used to have quite a few people building and selling custom subs (although I don't think I've ever seen someone go to the trouble of reverse engineering one).

· Registered
314 Posts
For me technically I save anyway oppose to spending on jl or something

I'm a price/performance guy neo motor save wieght

So many wins

I was hoping for another company to make a nrt motor I assume the patent for it ended already

Companies probably don't want to make one because not enough of the market would buy one and appreciate it

· Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Put me on the short list too.

· Registered
1,067 Posts
I would be on the list as well! This is some old school npdang **** right here

Reactions: saltyone
1 - 20 of 79 Posts