DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hillbilly
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been moving a system from vehicle to vehicle for several years now... JL Audio HD 900/5 Amp with the JBL MS-8 Processor ... and basically purchasing a new sub(s) and speakers. But that system is gone, although it always spoiled me on how well it could make a car system sound... and understandably never as good as my home audio system. Either way... I've lost touch with what is available on the market these days as far as processing.

With that system now gone, I have a new 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab truck with the 8.4" display and Alpine system with sub. SiriusXM sounds marginal at best... being as highly compressed as it is, but I have been very surprised at how good (relatively speaking) the uncompressed music on my USB dongle sounds. The bass is a bit bloated and missing the lowest octave, but again, not all that bad considering what I've heard in times past with factory systems. I actually think the speakers are fairly respectable... maybe they need some cleaner power. I believe with a better amp and some sort of processing/equalization, it would improve on the system to a point of happiness, although I do realize is won't be competition grade by any means... as well as there will be a limit to the volume.

I suppose what I am trying to find out is if there is anything out there that is similar to what the JBL MS-8 does with the auto-EQ processing that would work in this truck?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Yeah. Unfortunately, not much auto-eq is available for car audio as there should be. Thats a nice piece though just a little pricey

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
You are pretty much correct. Though I also moved from the MS-8 in various builds (still have one if you need one), I switched mostly to Helix DSP's and for me the V-Eight is just perfect most of the time. 10 channels of DSP, 8 channels of 75W power. That means the V-Eight plus the sub amp of my choice, and I'm DONE. 3-way active front on pretty much any car, rear fill, and sub. The only time it doesn't work is when you need more than 75W of power, so I just pair it with efficient speakers and there's never been an issue.

As far as it being auto-EQ, I've gotten pretty decent at tuning so I've made peace with that part. The Helix units can sorta auto-tune but I find that I can get as good or better than MS-8 sound with just 10-20 minutes of basic tuning on my own, and then it just gets better from there.

The DIRAC-LIVE thing looks pretty sweet though.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
you also have the minidsp & dayton paired with REW but that is more complex than most prefer and require a mic and time and learning the software.

·
Hillbilly
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have two MS-8's... one is leaving in a truck I am about to sell... and the other is missing some of the parts, remote, etc... plus it is pretty old.

Being around REW all of it's life... and being very familiar with Dirac Live having a DDRC-88BM, NAD T758 and a NAD M17v2... the new C-DSP will be a welcomed addition to my RAM system.

I got the email announcement from Tony and Flavio ... just so busy that I had completely forgot about it. I remember saying to myself that it would surely be something to consider. After I posted this thread... about 4-5 days later it hit me that miniDSP was coming out with it. A duh moment I suppose... they are becoming regular.

I was gonna try to do something to improve on the factory system a little... but I can't resist it... done ordered some Hybrid speakers, amp, MTIAcoustics custom build box with the Clarius subs... and have the C-DSP on its way from miniDSP. Done dug myself a hole now.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Did you see Rob's custom enclosure for the 2019 Ram with JL Subs for sale? What a work of art.

I have two MS-8's... one is leaving in a truck I am about to sell... and the other is missing some of the parts, remote, etc... plus it is pretty old.

Being around REW all of it's life... and being very familiar with Dirac Live having a DDRC-88BM, NAD T758 and a NAD M17v2... the new C-DSP will be a welcomed addition to my RAM system.

I got the email announcement from Tony and Flavio ... just so busy that I had completely forgot about it. I remember saying to myself that it would surely be something to consider. After I posted this thread... about 4-5 days later it hit me that miniDSP was coming out with it. A duh moment I suppose... they are becoming regular.

I was gonna try to do something to improve on the factory system a little... but I can't resist it... done ordered some Hybrid speakers, amp, MTIAcoustics custom build box with the Clarius subs... and have the C-DSP on its way from miniDSP. Done dug myself a hole now.

·
Hillbilly
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did... and was extremely impressed with it. It was just a little more than I wanted to spend... and I think I will prefer the Clarus subs for my particular preferences. I also ended up opting to not badge or light the box... more about stealth and factory look.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts

let us know how you like the performance and auto eq please. Enjoy it

Im considering going back to an MS8 so let me know if you decide to sell. I just have connections in Indonesia and Malaysia and everything is different there but it always a risk. My friend in West Borneo just hooked up these Nakamichi 3 way set and LOVES them. He had a beautiful set of hifonix that is nothing like American available hifonix. Asia always gets the good stuff and america gets the cheap stuff.

Off subject but theyre so pretty. Who here doesnt like looking at nice speakers

Attachments

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Wow, I saw that Nakamichi set when looking for a 3-way speaker set for our new Ram. May have to reconsider them based on those photos.

·
Hillbilly
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those do look nice. I remember some Nakamichi amps I had back in the 80's in a van system I had.

I'll get that other MS-8 out and see exactly what all is missing. I would be happy to ship it to you and let you make sure you can get it all working and if so, then you can pay me a little something for it.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Wow, I saw that Nakamichi set when looking for a 3-way speaker set for our new Ram. May have to reconsider them based on those photos.
Yeah. These are from the ones on ebay now....Im debating myself :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NAKAMICHI-NS6-Q3-High-End-Car-Speaker-6-5-3-Way-Component-System-High-End/332755133416?_trkparms=aid=1110001&algo=SPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20190711095549&meid=07177d52e1d54dbfb4816a0adddf1e45&pid=100047&rk=2&rkt=6&mehot=lo&sd=232634493097&itm=332755133416&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100047.m2108

As a FYI, lots of Nakamichi US speakers and amplifiers are simply the same as boston acoustics post Mosconi. The amps even have q tune still on them. Same build house and they just took the design straight up since boston is out

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nakamichi-NGTD6001-Class-D-Monoblock-Amplifier-6000-Watts/202672761984?epid=2254377408&hash=item2f303cec80:g:aMwAAOSwtLxc0aeb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts