DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't even remember where I bought my RCA cables for the car, but they are pretty cheap. :( When I went to tie in my amps to the factory deck, I had to splice wires, but the strands in the cables I had were pitifully thin... almost non existent! I've heard that some cheap brands use as small as 30 gauge stranded wire in their RCA's... I can believe it!

I already had **** taken apart and it was getting cloudy, so I made do with it, but those things are mega-fragile and sooner or later I want to redo it with better RCA's. Just curious who definitely makes better cables than this, with wires that won't give if you look at them too hard. I'll need 2 pairs of 16 footers. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
What exactly are you looking for? Almost all RCA cables use very thin gauge center conductors. You could look for something with RG59 or RG6 but keep in mind that cheaper coaxial cable has a coated steel center conductor. It's also bulky and less flexible than most car audio RCAs.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Why didn't you use a line out converter? You're going to need to learn how to work with those tiny gauge wires if you need to cut up some RCA cables in the future.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why didn't you use a line out converter? You're going to need to learn how to work with those tiny gauge wires if you need to cut up some RCA cables in the future.
Why would I need an LOC? The HU with the nav already puts out a line level signal, so I tapped into that. The only processing is on the subwoofer channel, and I didn't use that anyway. Everything works and sounds fine, but I worry about those extremely thin wires. Maybe it's a non-issue though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Roll your own!
Get some decent balanced cable (twisted pair + drain/shield)
your favorite RCA's and a soldering station.
You'll have quieter, less expensive RCA interconnects that are made to
the correct size (no big, inductive bundles lurking behind a panel)
and the satisfaction of having lived up to the DIY credo.
And after your buddies see what wonders you've worked, they might
ask you to put some together for them. Good way to make a few bucks.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Roll your own!
Get some decent balanced cable (twisted pair + drain/shield)
your favorite RCA's and a soldering station.
You'll have quieter, less expensive RCA interconnects that are made to
the correct size (no big, inductive bundles lurking behind a panel)
and the satisfaction of having lived up to the DIY credo.
And after your buddies see what wonders you've worked, they might
ask you to put some together for them. Good way to make a few bucks.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Connectors are ~$1/ea and gepco cable can be found for ~$.13/ft. That is $8.16 for a 2ch 16ft RCA cable. Not to mention it will have better shielding than 95% of whats on the market. In home this aint that big of a deal but in the car where theres alot of noise to pick up, it is a big deal.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
MTX JH amps come with RCA plugs that have two wires, to connect to stock HU speakers. Seems like you could find/make a set for the HU, just wire them to the HU and plug them on to any RCA cable you want to run through the car. If you actually need shielding for that little spot you could fabricate something. Some old home audio used to use RCA to hook up speakers, was just normal speaker wire with RCA plugs. RS had the ends.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
My OG Monster Cable... (early 90's vintage) :laugh::eek:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I'd take coax with a small center conductor over twisted pair any day. Twisted pair isn't even going to help. You need them twisted at a specific twists per inch to reject certain frequencies of noise... It's a gimmick for audio. Not to say that it wouldn't work, but I'd rather have coax...

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I'd take coax with a small center conductor over twisted pair any day. Twisted pair isn't even going to help. You need them twisted at a specific twists per inch to reject certain frequencies of noise... It's a gimmick for audio. Not to say that it wouldn't work, but I'd rather have coax...

Been using my twisted pair RCAs since the early 90's without a single noise issue... (these same ones)

The point was the size of the conductor, not construction... but thanks..

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's no noise now, honest. I was only worried about the frail conductor strands eventually breaking or working their way out of the crimp. I'll look into those suggestions soon though.

I used to have some of that Radio Shack speaker cable with RCA ends, but I don't know if it survived moving this summer. :worried:

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
About all you can do is shrink tube it.

Twisted may work for balanced input, but otherwise you want shielded for normal car audio. Some car RCA are twisted and shielded. I didn't like my twisted schoche RCA but after close examination I can see it is plain shielded RCA pair that is twisted likely for appearance reasons. I had a tiny bit of whine with my kicker if I put volume to zero, used at least 8 other amps in there now with no noise and no changes to wiring.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
My OG Monster Cable... (early 90's vintage) :laugh::eek:

I think you guys missed the silver DRAIN wire, that connects shield to ground...

These are double foil shielded w/drain wire, double twisted pair..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts