DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there all,

Total newb - please forgive ignorance!

I'm in the UK and own a Ford Fusion (which I believe is a very different car in the US), with an AUX input into the car audio system.

The jack is situated in the central unit by the gear shift/stick. And it works, but only intermittently.

The problem is, when I change gear (shift) the audio is affected - like my right door speaker will go dead/quiet. From my limited knowledge, it feels like one of the audio channels are dropping, similar to what occurs when you partially pull out a headphone jack from a personal music player and one of the R/L channels goes dead.

Anyway, I can get around this by using a gentle touch when changing gear but even then the problem still arises sometimes.

The harder I move the stick, the more likely the audio is to be affected.

Again, from my layman's perspective, I would guess at some kind of loose connection/wire down below that is making contact somehow with the gear stick assembly?

My question is: what on earth can I do about it?! I have no clue how to even lift that part of the dashboard away and investigate what is going on, so absolutely any advice or help would be immensely appreciated.

Many thanks, and apologies again if my ignorance has annoyed!

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
it sounds like a faulty jack or bad connection(harness). if you do not have a clue on how to remove trim, i suggest that you take it to a dealer or a qualified audio installer

·
Registered
118 Posts
It could be the aux cable you are using as well. wouldnt be the first time that was the cause.

I do agree that you should check the factory side of the plug first. The oem connectors for the backside of the jack can loosen if the wiring is too tight.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
try the easiest fix first and try a new cable. if that is not it then it sounds like the jack in the radio has a bad solder joint.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts