DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you guys think a fair price is to run 3 x sets of speaker wire through a molex into a door? Been looking at the Volvo door and it looks to be a headache to get speaker wire from the car into the door. I am going to call into a shop Monday to ask for an estimate on running the wire, just from the kick panel area into the door, I can handle the rest, but curious what a ballpark figure could be. The alternate option is to do as someone did on here with their S60, remove the door, drill a new hole and create a new boot (there is a grommet on the kick panel side already). Here is what the molex looks like in the door:

There barely seems to be room to even back the plug out of the door, much less run wires through it. This is where the grommet is on the side of the kick panel:

Obviously, going through that though means having to remove the door and carefully drill a hole big enough, then make sure to seal that new hole/boot off from the elements.

Annoyingly, despite there already being a 3-way stock in the doors, only 2 actual speaker wires pass through the boot from the OEM amp, that then splits inside the door with passive crossovers on the speakers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
640 Posts
They'll charge between 80-120 an hour in labor. Labor will probably be higher because you aren't buying anything. They'll estimate # of hours it will take.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Get ready to get kicked on this. I have an S80 and I usually get crazy looks anytime I mention the car at local shops. My door has the provision for the 3 way, but because car came with only the performance sound, I have a 2 way not the 3 way. I have received quotes of 400 buck or more to do. I assume about 150/hour as mentioned above and a couple of hours of work.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mine has the factory 3 way, I had hoped to re-use the factory speaker wire going through the boot, but after some research found out that the door plug only has 2 wires for the speakers passing through it with a full range signal, once inside the door it then splits passively inside the door (the mid and tweeter have little crossover mounted beside them them). You can see them here 2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design - MiniDSP, Alpine, SI, Infinity, Scan

Giving a lot of thought to removing the doors, drilling a hole and creating my own boot. Essentially the same as what swiffcliff did here 2015 Volvo S60 (P3) Stereo Install — JL, ARC, PHD, AE The way I am looking at it, if I remove the doors I can bring them inside and add sound deadening etc. while indoors and comfortable. Still, mentally I am not quite there yet to remove the doors.

Edit: Called a shop here, they could not say for sure without looking at it, but going through the molex the guy figured between $70 - $100 per side. While I really would prefer to do it myself, if they can do it for $140 - $200, I may just have them run it.

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
Better make sure it's not a hack job. Not saying I'd rather see you pay out the nose, but don't hesitate to question yourself on why so much less. They would have to explain in detail exactly what they plan to do.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right. I plan to take the car there sometime next week, meet with one of the techs and go over what I want and how they plan to do it. If it looks like being a hack job, I'll save my money and do it myself. In all seriousness, I suspect they will look at it and the price will go up. I should also add, that where I am located, prices of some things can typically be lower simply due to the location. If I drove 90 minutes east from here, the price would likely be double.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
If you remove the door you have complete access to the boot and you can put new wire through the existing spots and then creat another hole to fish the third wires through.

·
Listener of Music
2,941 Posts
You can drill a hole from the inside of the door as well. Drills are plenty small enough these days.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
i was just going to post that video ,, Ian you can do it !!! its not that bad .

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i was just going to post that video ,, Ian you can do it !!! its not that bad .
I actually just watched that video as well last night, problem is the boot is packed and I don't trust myself (or my luck) not for something to go wrong trying to go through there.

I'm just going to bite the bullet, remove the door and drill a new hole.

·
Registered
640 Posts
in many ways door removal probably easier. And at least the OEM is a molex you can disconnect so it's simply remove some bolts and disconnect the plug.

·
Listener of Music
2,941 Posts
in many ways door removal probably easier. And at least the OEM is a molex you can disconnect so it's simply remove some bolts and disconnect the plug.
Your not wrong. With a helper I can have the door of my Nissan in 5 minutes. To some that is a far more daunting task than drilling it a connector.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I actually just watched that video as well last night, problem is the boot is packed and I don't trust myself (or my luck) not for something to go wrong trying to go through there.

I'm just going to bite the bullet, remove the door and drill a new hole.
right on, well i know you have a good helper for that task ! if i lived closer i would come help .

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're only what 7 hours drive away, the speed you seem to work we'd have the whole install knocked out in less than the time it took you to drive here and back.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
haha facts ! well have to wait til jasons meet to hang , i may even have my system tuned by then , lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts