DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Okay I have about 20 hours on them now and am simply overjoyed with these things capabilities. I have had the good fortune to test many great speakers the last couple years and have been pretty happy with each and every one of them. Says a lot for todays tech. These quite simply are on another level. Their ability to reproduce 60-150 hz where the impact is at is stellar. They are tight and accurate which you would expect from a high end 6.5" driver. Whats really impressive is they can also play just great to 4000hz (as tested though are said to play higher just fine) while also producing those bass frequencies.
One song in particular that stands out is a song by Haim. Its a remix of.... crud, have to look up the songs name again. Anyway there is a complex bass line in the beginning of the song that a lot of 6.5" speakers have a hard time reproducing. The Illusion, Hertz, Esotar and TM play them just fine but when she starts to sing while those notes are being played it really resonates her voice and is a bit sloppy. Less of an issue with the Hertz and almost imperceptible with the Esotar but with the Sinfoni it sounds as if it is a different driver making the midrange frequencies. In a two way configuration these are a superior speaker to anything I have ever heard. And I mean EVER.
As I have said before, they don't reproduce music but sound like the actual music. Like the artist is there with you singing only to you. The cones speed and control is breathtaking and for me it is listening nirvana. These are the midranges by which all others should be judged. Its the BMW M3 of the speaker world. That's not even a good comparison. Its the BMW M3 with the performance of an Agera R.

Pink Floyd is a whole new experience. I can sit for hours and listen to it. The sound so much reminds me of my old Infinity Beta IRS Vs I am shocked. Then again hearing memory isn't the best and its been a decade since I had them but I always remember losing myself in the music and the feeling of bliss when I heard them and these speakers provide the same feeling.

I do have them paired with some pretty righteous tweeters though. The Scan Speak R2904 is a joy paired with these. Seamless blending and an excellent companion. If the Sinfoni tweeters pair half as well then this will be one exciting ride.

I still have them high passed at 80hz with a 12db slope and the subwoofers are at 63hz with a 12db slope. I run the mids to 3.15k on a 6db slope and the tweeters at 3.15k with an 18db slope. So far they take anything I can dish at them. They have even allowed me to listen to some of my songs I like that I only have in a lower quality MP3 version. On some of my other systems these songs just sounded terrible due to the poor recording quality. While I hear it with these they seem to smooth out the rough edges and allow me to once again enjoy my entire music library.

They have a heafty price tag but are worth every penny. They are cheaper than the Esotars but I believe to be a superior speaker. They are more than the large Scan-Speak 18WU but you don't need a ridiculous mounting depth for them.

In short, if you have the means then you will love these speakers in your system. Easy to dial in and the sound is just spectacular. I can only imagine what the Grandioso must be like.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The cone moves fast and is well controlled which helps with midrange frequencies. It does so due to a strong motor and light cone. Because it moves so fast it sounds good. I thoroughly enjoy listening to them and it brings a sense of euphoria or nirvana.

Or you can read it as it sucks so bad I cant breath and want to shoot myself like Kurt from Nirvana did......

·
Registered
950 Posts
Great write up Bill. I can confirm whole heartedly that I enjoy the Maestoso T165 much more than I did the E650, it is crazy to think a car audio set of speakers could offer as much as these speakers do. I am thoroughly impressed!! Cant say enough good about them.

Leave Kurt out of this Bill. lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thank you for the great comparative review! The review conveys your excitement for the sound reproduction of these speakers. Do you know the mounting depth on these T165's?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
2.75"

·
Vendor
2,383 Posts
Okay I have about 20 hours on them now and am simply overjoyed with these things capabilities. I have had the good fortune to test many great speakers the last couple years and have been pretty happy with each and every one of them. Says a lot for todays tech. These quite simply are on another level. Their ability to reproduce 60-150 hz where the impact is at is stellar. They are tight and accurate which you would expect from a high end 6.5" driver. Whats really impressive is they can also play just great to 4000hz (as tested though are said to play higher just fine) while also producing those bass frequencies.
One song in particular that stands out is a song by Haim. Its a remix of.... crud, have to look up the songs name again. Anyway there is a complex bass line in the beginning of the song that a lot of 6.5" speakers have a hard time reproducing. The Illusion, Hertz, Esotar and TM play them just fine but when she starts to sing while those notes are being played it really resonates her voice and is a bit sloppy. Less of an issue with the Hertz and almost imperceptible with the Esotar but with the Sinfoni it sounds as if it is a different driver making the midrange frequencies. In a two way configuration these are a superior speaker to anything I have ever heard. And I mean EVER.
As I have said before, they don't reproduce music but sound like the actual music. Like the artist is there with you singing only to you. The cones speed and control is breathtaking and for me it is listening nirvana. These are the midranges by which all others should be judged. Its the BMW M3 of the speaker world. That's not even a good comparison. Its the BMW M3 with the performance of an Agera R.

Pink Floyd is a whole new experience. I can sit for hours and listen to it. The sound so much reminds me of my old Infinity Beta IRS Vs I am shocked. Then again hearing memory isn't the best and its been a decade since I had them but I always remember losing myself in the music and the feeling of bliss when I heard them and these speakers provide the same feeling.

I do have them paired with some pretty righteous tweeters though. The Scan Speak R2904 is a joy paired with these. Seamless blending and an excellent companion. If the Sinfoni tweeters pair half as well then this will be one exciting ride.

I still have them high passed at 80hz with a 12db slope and the subwoofers are at 63hz with a 12db slope. I run the mids to 3.15k on a 6db slope and the tweeters at 3.15k with an 18db slope. So far they take anything I can dish at them. They have even allowed me to listen to some of my songs I like that I only have in a lower quality MP3 version. On some of my other systems these songs just sounded terrible due to the poor recording quality. While I hear it with these they seem to smooth out the rough edges and allow me to once again enjoy my entire music library.

They have a heafty price tag but are worth every penny. They are cheaper than the Esotars but I believe to be a superior speaker. They are more than the large Scan-Speak 18WU but you don't need a ridiculous mounting depth for them.

In short, if you have the means then you will love these speakers in your system. Easy to dial in and the sound is just spectacular. I can only imagine what the Grandioso must be like.
Wow, nice write-up. Sounds like a killer mid. :D

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
They really are Nick. Expensive but really nice. They blend perfect with the SI BM sub but then again its been easy to pair anything with those.

·
Vendor
2,383 Posts
They really are Nick. Expensive but really nice. They blend perfect with the SI BM sub but then again its been easy to pair anything with those.
I liked a few of the itemized elements of those mids in their literature like the bifilar voice coil. I use bifilar coils in my larger subwoofer drivers to lower inductance due to the size/length of the coil which works out well overall since the WW (winding width, or total length of the windings) is almost 3" tall. It's neat to see someone employing the same bifilar coil style on a mid.

The Sinfoni driver is a bit deeper than the TM65 so it can afford not to have venting treatment above, on, or below, the spider to smooth out the response (again, not needed with that tad bit extra depth) and the driver looks absolutely gorgeous! :cool:

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have not changed an EQ setting in a week now. That is unheard of for me. Every time I hop in the truck I smile due to the sound of these instruments.

I was even caught off guard on my way to pick up a couple amps I will be reviewing. I was listening to "Yours is no Disgrace" by Yes, a song I have listened to for over 30 years and on anything from a $5 Walkman to a $132,000 home system and I heard something I never once noticed before. Around the 7 minute mark when its just soft vocals and an acoustic guitar you can hear the guitarist lightly smack the guitar a few times. Granted it could be a small bongo drum in the background instead but I had never heard it before or at least never noticed it.
I wasn't just sitting there doing a listening session as well. I was in traffic doing 40 MPH and had the AC on max so there was plenty noise to mask it.

Its those little things that separate a good speaker from something wonderful.

These are MY reference standard for mids. All future tests I will be using them as my reference point. Don't expect any reviews on a Kicker coaxial. LOL

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So? Sinfoni or MP for your mid?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Baller. Well I get to pair them with the Sinfoni T25T tomorrow and see how they compliment each other.

One spectacular thing about Sinfoni speakers is they were designed to perform excellent in off axis applications so they are just a no brainer for stock position stealth setups. It will still be easy to aim these tiny tweeters directly at my nose even in the stock door loactions. They are just so small!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So here is a teaser video. My camera sucks so there is really no justice being done here. I dont even think it can record in stereo.
For future reviews I would be happy to post quality videos if anyone has a good audio quality camera they would like to donate or sell cheap.
I realize not everyone has a good set of PC speakers but some do and the people looking at these kind of speakers i am sure have great sounding PC systems. I have seen a couple videos from members here that had a nice quality audio mic and camera and you really got a great feel for what their system can do.

Anyway, here is a taste of their goodness.

21 - 40 of 117 Posts