DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Average Joe Review: Sinfoni Masteoso T165W

19K views 116 replies 23 participants last post by  LaserSVT 
#1 ·
Its time once again for my completely useless and meaningless reviews. :)

This really is not a review yet just a show off of something newish that has blown my perception of a speaker out the window. I will be throughly testing these with some Scan Speak Revelator R2904s and Sinfonis own T25 Masteoso (Pronounced My-sto-so) tweeter. After talking with fellow testers and distributors of these speakers..... speakers is wrong, musical instruments, I decided to give them a go.

I will get much more in depth in a week or so but right off the bat they are stunning. Beautiful construction, excellent terminals and a gorgeous glass fiber/ carbon fiber cone. They have quite a bit of heft and the steel ring around the face is a nice touch to help from distorting the basket on installation.

I can tell you my friend is very upset at spending so much on his 3-way Focal K2 Power setup that I had installed only an hour earlier. He hoped in my truck, listened to the speakers and then swore at me and gave me the finger while shouting "Not one day! Not one day am I allowed to have the better sounding system!" LMAO!

Here are some pics. :)

See less See more
#74 ·
See the problem is he also told me the Grandioso is at yet another level. Damnit. I cant afford $6500 speakers. LOL

Maybe one day I will get a set to review. I can get my hands on some Sinfoni amps for review so I may do that as well.

#79 ·
Thank you SouthSyde! Those demo CDs are amazing. One Clair Marlow song I know by heart and had a FLAC to WAV conversion on my drive. Ill be damned if your copy didn't have more going on!
And on the other tracks like that bass heavy female song.... gotta be careful with the subs on that one but the vocals were spectacular.

My favorite was a song I never heard by Billy Idol. Prodigal Blues. I must have played it back to back several times. The drums are just stellar and that solid never ending bass line just is awesome. When I closed my eyes it was like he was on my steering wheel singing to me.

These speakers do not make you feel as if you are front row at a concert. They make you feel as if you are in the recording room with the artists sitting with them just holding the mic. Every time I get more and more impressed with these speakers. Just phenomenal.

#83 ·
Mine arrived today and they are gorgeous. I can't wait to get some time to put them in my car and hear how they sound. Won't be until next week unfortunatly as i ordered some FAST rings, and they wont arrive until Monday.

But i am super stoked and they are for sure as beautifully made as everyone has said.:)

#86 ·
Yeah those two are great to work with. Can't wait for you to play with them. They are so pretty its a shame to hide their baskets. I even love the wire terminals.

#87 ·
I didn't get to really look at the wire terminals last night, but i am very much loving the concept of screw down wire terminals. Thats a first for me seeing it, and in my head i have always thought that it was the best way to go. Especially for subwoofers.

I think including an allen key, or mentioning on the website what size key it is would be a nice touch. JL and Mosconi does that with their amps and i think thats grrrrrrrreat :)

#88 ·
No. In the box is speakers. Nothing more, nothing less. LOL

#92 ·
A lot of what you said to me this weekend has been reverberating around my head. There were a couple things I really liked, for instance our discussion on tonality. I was pleased that you liked the tonality as I was curious how a seasoned ear would like them with no DSP trickery or an EQ mattress. I know your OCD was in overdrive over the sound stage but I could see in your face you liked the sound.
Thats the one thing that has impressed me the most. With these speakers you can drop them in, set the crossover and just go and several SQ dedicated people will still enjoy them. Granted once we got the stage somewhat tuned in it was on yet another level. Gotta thank you and Eric for that.

I am still playing with the EQ and have settled on a final crossover setting of 63/2.5k both with a 24db slope but I always find myself happy after a drive.

#90 ·
Thanks Chad. Means something coming from this weekends winner in SQ. :D

#93 ·
Its a start....and OMG all i can say is that just listening to this speaker, no tweeter or sub gave me goosebumps. I guess you are safe:)

I am going to order some matching stainless snap caps to cover the screws, even though noone will ever see them. Now i just have to hope the door panel fits back on. If anyone wants me to sent them screws and stainless caps, just shoot me a pm...i get them thru Pro-dec for sign work:eek:

Thanks for the push guys...these things are everything you said they were.:cool:

#98 ·
The KAXBLTWT is a very nice tweeter and a great match for these woofers.

This is also the first time i have used a woofer that i think would be very happy with 2-300 watts. It seems to be laughing at my 100 watts of mosconi power :)

#97 ·
Excellent! So glad you like them and I can love for another day. They really are something special.

#99 ·
Yeah 200 is about perfect for them. Proper crossovers and EQ settings keep them safe. I just spent the last 40 minutes running my Mosconi at 7/10ths with some hip hop and rap (playing with the "there is way more bass with the windows down" phenomenon) and they just dont even care. Thats with the Zero4 running them. Couple times I shut the subs down just to make sure the rattles I heard were not the mids. Nope, nice and punchy and crystal clean.
Now I have to find the trucks rattle..... just when I think I have them gone I will find a song that makes something resonate. LOL

#102 ·
Try a crosover around 3.15k with a 18-24 db slope on the tweeter and 6-12 db slope on the mid. I think you may find that to be the sweet spot.

And yeah, these mids are something else. Never have I heard a driver that can simultaneously reproduce a drum kick in the 150 hz area while also reproducing female vocals and not lose impact on the bass or muddy up the vocals. They sound as if you have two speakers.
Wait till they break in! After 30-40 hours their bottom end really gets impressive. Dont hear any change above 300hz but below they really get some impact.

#106 ·
You guys...smh I knew I was in trouble when I joined this site. Thing is I always wanted a high sq system. Never wanted to spend the green, but this is going in a car i plan on having for a long time, so be it. I only want the best for this ride. So I feel I can justify it!!!

#109 ·
I had danced around with "cheaper" drivers and liked many of them. They all had some great traits and some compromises. The Sinfoni does not compromise. They only give you excellent sound. They are also very unusual about how user friendly they are. As I was spending more and more on my speakers I noticed positioning becoming more and more critical. Also the better they got the worst they sounded with sub-perfect recordings or certain styles of music. Some of that has to do with them being home drivers. The Sinfonis were designed from the get go for the automotive environment. They knew how hard it is to have the speakers on axis and issues to work around with door mounted drivers. As a result they sound spectacular on or off axis. They also somehow allow you to listen to sub-par recordings or any kind of music and always sound great. The tweeters are just dazzling and the woofers realy kick some tail on the low end while maintaing perfect pitch on vocals.
For the first time I can mean it when I say my front stage is done. There is no other speaker out there like these and they are just wonderful. The ONLY speakers I could ever see me swapping these out for would be the Grandioso but there is no way to fit them in my doors so thats out.
If the truck ever gets sold they will not be sold with the truck. Actually I am so happy with every component I have now I wouldnt sell any of it with the truck. LOL

G
#113 ·
In my opinion... the secret sauce is that Sinfoni "voices" all there speakers in a car.... multiple cars actually.... during the lengthy development process. ...

My $0.02

Hey, I just have away part of my Grandioso review....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.