DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just listened to some AVI speaker setup and it sounds pretty good. Thinking of getting the same but can't find much information on them.
Does anyone have these or can recommend them? It was the BSM-160 components & HF-25D tweeters.

My budget is around $1500 which is what this setup costs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use these in my daily driver. I bought them around the year 2001-2002. I still love them to death. Their strong points are amazing tonality and just enough warmth to make high volume listening for hours non-fatiquing without making it sound dull. I briefly heard a pair of DynAudio tweeters that sounded like they might have more detail, so I've always wanted to try that set, but the price and my current happiness has kept me from doing that.

Where did you hear them? Last I checked, you couldn't buy them over the internet anymore, physical location only. Super lame. My tweeter is the HF-30B, make sure the 25 is not a downgrade. .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard them in my friends car in Sydney.
He also said that he hasn't got any amps installed yet and also no crossovers. Just one capacitor on the tweeters.
Does that sound correct?

I'm planning on getting the same soon, but with those HF-30B's you mentioned.
I also want to get an amp at the same time. Not sure what is best, maybe one of these new JL Audio HD600/4 ??

·
Registered
59 Posts
I run mine on one pair of channels with the passive crossover. (No standalone capacitors, that's probably for the cheaper tweeter only). The passive crossover says 120w on it. There are different power ratings depending where you look (the drivers say 80-90w iirc), but I've found they sound more lively and detailed with my 150w per channel amp at -3dB than my 85w per channel amp at 0dB, same brand and series. I don't know if that's a characteristic of this set or all speakers in general (you will get varying opinions everywhere if you pose this question), but I'm a firm believer that they (and all speakers) sound better at all volumes with more power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got my car back today from the installers with my new sound system!
I got the new kenwood ddx918ws to replace the factory head unit, and I got the bsm-160 & hf-30b speakers. They didn't install any passive crossovers, so not sure exactly what they did. It sounds amazing though, and my music is crystal clear!

I will take your advise and get an amp next.
I'm thinking my next upgrade in a few months will be a 4-channel (a/b) amp to do an active crossover setup, and some sound deadening for the doors. What do you think?

I see I can get the following amps as recommended by the installer here. Not sure which to pick...

1. Masconi Zero 4
2. Helix C4
3. Tru-Tech Tungsten T4
4. Focal FPX4.400SQ

I'm so new to this, I hope I don't get the wrong one! It's soo expensiv

Thank for any ideas!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I haven't used any of those but Mosconis are probably the most popular based on posts on DIYMA followed by Helix. I've noticed Tru Tech a lot more recently, especially in SQ competition cars. So I don't think you could go wrong with any of those.

I haven't used Focal amps but they are more recent, at least in the US, and frankly I'm not impressed. I was looking at their amps a few months ago and at least looking at Crutchfield, it looks like they are discontinuing some of their fairly new amps. I was wondering if Focal may be dropping Crutchfield or vice-versa but their speakers are mostly in-stock. So I'm not sure what is going on with their amps but this issue causes me concern.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree that just about any quality amp will probably suffice. I don't recommend using a tube amp with these though. I bought a Butler Tube Driver Blue amp used from someone on this forum many years ago (I still have it somewhere), and I did not like it with these AVIs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts