DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I guess my first question should be, could the IDQ12D2V3 be suited for IB setup?

List of Specs:
IMP 1/4 ohms Nominal Impedance
Re .9 / 3.6 Ohms DC Resistance
Fs 26 Hz Resonant frequency
Qes .437 Electrical “Q”
Qms 2.806 Mechanical “Q”
Qts .374 Total “Q”
Vas 3.0 cuft (85 liters) Equivalent volume
Xmax 18 mm One way linear
Sd 519.45 cm2 Cone Area
Splo 87.22 dB Sensitivity
Pwr 50/500 Watts POWER Range

Or if I would prefer an IB setup, should I go to the 12" IDMax? Don't have the specs yet.

If the IDQ could be suited for IB setup, what will I need to modify in WinISD to get a good curve goin on. I will attached pics of what I have so far in the next hour.

I've also attached the spec sheet for the IDQ12D2V3 and will attach the IDMax when I receive it.

pic of winisd, second teal line is recommended port parameters, first yellow line is IB, 14 cu ft trunk

TIA!

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Bueller?

Is this a horrible frequency response or is it just me?

Seems like the ported setup has a much lower F3...

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Why not go for a sub designed for IB? The total Q for that sub will be far too low. Not to mention power handling would suck despite it's long xmax.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what I was wondering, I've read a few threads on IB and that Qts needs to be around 0.7, is this correct?

What models/brands would you recommend for IB?

Image Dynamics assured me that their ID, IDQ, and IDMax subs can all be used for IB setup but obviously that's not the case...

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
They can but you need to at least run a pair and modeling won't necessarily help unless you know the vehicle's transfer function off hand. Basically trial and error. There a few here that ran some while others use IB specific subs as well as other subs. Maybe someone will chime in...

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Why not go for a sub designed for IB? The total Q for that sub will be far too low. Not to mention power handling would suck despite it's long xmax.

Excursion in IB is what determines output. Power handling is meaningless as long as it can hit xmax. It becomes much more efficient in IB over sealed so power handling goes down because it requires less of it to hit xmax.

As for the rest, Qts most definitely does not have to be at .7. I actually prefer it much lower. My 12W6 sounded very nice with a .45 in IB.

The ported looks peaky. The IB curve looks limilar to my IB15s.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done some research and found some Dayton IB subs that look quite nice in the frequency range, has a low F3 of 40Hz, and a Qtc of .544, and I've thrown some IDMAX12 D2 V3's on there, blue is dayton DVC385-88 15" and orange is the IDMAX, IDQ is yellow

Xmax is as follows for each
IDQ 18 mm
IDMAX 24.6 mm
DVC 15.1 mm (these are 15's tho)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Something is wrong with that IB15 model. You might want to check the parameters you entered... or you entered the home version.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I actually have done several cars with 2 iDQ12v3 subs in IB and they sounded fantastic, much better than in the recommended sealed enclosure IMO. My customers were VERY happy as well and both have had a lot of experience with car audio. I talked both into it, they trusted me, and were more than thrilled with the results.

The Dynaudio Esotar2 1200 has a QTS of .34. Try to find one member on here who thinks that sub won't work IB.

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Check some of the TC clearance subs @ partsexpress. Good xmax with fairly good specs that should exhibit a smoother plot in IB. Cheap too! Yes a low Qtc can sound good, if that's what you prefer. I still have a pair of old school Kicker free air 10" that exhibits a fairly low Qts, a little too lean for me. I like a bit higher, but that depends on the individual and what you like to listen to.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
unless they changed the ID subs if they are still using Eric's design any of the ID subs will sound awesome IB

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Though there's several ways to approach IB Andy touches on a ideal that I harmonize with from experience. Using this phone sucks when trying to link, but look up his reply on page 4 of "Infinite baffle subs.... Pros & cons".

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Looks like they don't have a 15 in IDmax just quite yet, found a thread on caraudio.com dating back to 2009 about people waiting for the v4's to come out lolz

mmmmmm, even one ID15 running with a PDX6, sounds epic, because I do like getting some SPL out of my setups, should I run two 15's or just one? seems like when running two, I will run less less risk of exceeding excursion limits...

BTW, I like to listen to Hip Hop, R&B, some metal, i really listen to everything, just want a simple SQ setup really. I don't need it to hit very hard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I've got 2 IDMAX12's hung in the rear deck in my mark viii. They hit hard enough that all the mirrors are useless and the pedals and seat shake violently under me. I occasionally like to listen to music rock concert loud and this setup gets me there. The rear deck at this point is also not properly braced or sealed, so I know there is more to be had but it's too damn cold to do anything more about it now.

P.s. I just googled my trunk volume at 14.4 cu/ft.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts