DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for suggestions on my baffle situation. Ive been using the stock baffles since my first set of 6.5s. They have a steep angle, a water deflector, a tweeter mount all built in, and they fit every set of 6.5s Ive tried in the last 5 years, until now.

The stupid off size HAT decided to use for their "6" is just too big for my trusty stockers. The problem is, the stock ones have a steep angle built in that go pretty much from 1/8" to 2.5". This angle is also required to fit the speaker behind the door panel.

So this leaves me with 3 options, hack up the stock ones even though the holes wont line up, or build some new ones. I would love a set of nice custom baffles, but Im having trouble figuring out a way to keep the angle of 1/8 to 2.5.

·
jtaudioacc
1,952 Posts
I'd just build new ones. some wood, fiberglass, short hair body filler to help keep that angle. probably be stronger than a plastic(?) factory baffle? I'm not familiar with what kind of car you have.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd just build new ones. some wood, fiberglass, short hair body filler to help keep that angle. probably be stronger than a plastic(?) factory baffle? I'm not familiar with what kind of car you have.
This is what they look like, notice just how thin they get!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I went to Lowes today just to get some ideas. I thought some 6" pvc pipe might line up with the bolt hole pattern on the mids, and Id be able to cut and angle it with the limited tools I have. Much to my disappointment, the outer diameter edge of the 6" PVC pipe goes directly through the center of the bolt pattern, so Its just BARELY too small, this also means the 6" PVC adapters are just a little too big.

·
jtaudioacc
1,952 Posts
if you are really limited on tools, just find someone that can make you some baffles. it's not that serious of an issue, and your mounting will be much stronger in the end. :)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you are really limited on tools, just find someone that can make you some baffles. it's not that serious of an issue, and your mounting will be much stronger in the end. :)
I know its not that serious, but if all I had to do was cut out a flat piece of MDF, treat it with some sealer and install it, I wouldnt have a thread because it would already be done. Its the steep angle that has to be there not only to fit the shallow end behind the door panel, but also to clear the window. Ive never messed with fiberglass before, and I really dont have the time anymore, but Im not going to settle for paying someone else to do it..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Maybe see if your local natural gas company uses 6 and 8" pe pipe. It comes in 40' lengths and is easily cut with a hand saw or sawzall to any angle you want. It's about a 1/2" thick as opposed to pvc,and takes a course drywall screw without stripping. Worth a try. Also,the 8" size fits most 8" subs or mids that I've tried.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holy crap that looks amazing! Thanks for the info! Now to google!

Thanks, that stuff looks perfect!

·
Registered
117 Posts
If your locals don't use it,[btw,this is MDPE ,medium density PE,the HDPE,high density PE works good too,but it's usually black],pm me with your address and I'll send you a chunk to play with. It's also 5-1/2"ID,and easily tapered with a wood rasp or file.
Steve

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Look at these...not exactly the same but, I've been there:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Maybe see if your local natural gas company uses 6 and 8" pe pipe. It comes in 40' lengths and is easily cut with a hand saw or sawzall to any angle you want. It's about a 1/2" thick as opposed to pvc,and takes a course drywall screw without stripping. Worth a try. Also,the 8" size fits most 8" subs or mids that I've tried.

I'm looking to do the same thing as the op, except my stock baffles are flat in my 08 G35. I want to get my mids more on axis and I think this is just what I need, thanks. The only problem I will have though, is interference with the stock grill. I've thought about cutting out the stock grill location and fiberglassing from the outside edge of the cut out grill to meet with the angled baffle mounted on the door skin. Heres a pic of my grill:

Sorry if I threw the thread off track, but this was just what I was looking for

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It seems like HAT made these this way so there was no easy way to mount them....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts