DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To prevent water damage would it be advisable to use baffles (like the one's on crutchfield.com) when installing door speakers? Would the use of the baffle affect the sound (in a noticable way)? I would have the midbass drivers in the doors, so wasn't sure if the baffles would decrease the performance of the speakers.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DBeistel said:
You can use them but cut the bottom curved part out so the speaker won't sound muffeled.

is there a better way to protect the door speakers than using a baffle? Is water damage a real danger when installing in doors? I just wonder if the home audio drivers can hold up to water leaks. Of course, it is a magnesioum cone driver, so perhaps it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would take DBeistel's advice it wont hinder performance too much and will protect your driver. There is a lot of water that gets onto the driver depending on the car and the window location. I've seen many terminals go rusty and magnet assemblies get ugly. Protect them, especially the home audio drivers, they were never intended for the brutal car environment. i.e. uv coatings, resins, materials, covers, etc.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
use the tupperware method...do a search, I explained it a bit on another thread in here before.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I'm having a horrible time considering taking out my CA18's when i decide to change them out, say for Dangs Proto 6.5's when they come out, i'd just hate to see what they look like with any possible water or rust on them....:( Then putting them in the house :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
demon2091tb said:
I'm having a horrible time considering taking out my CA18's when i decide to change them out, say for Dangs Proto 6.5's when they come out, i'd just hate to see what they look like with any possible water or rust on them....:( Then putting them in the house :)

Yea its really shocking to see the terminals and magnet all wasted, it makes you wonder how those paper/pressed pulp cones dont come apart ( like how MDF does when it gets wet) :eek:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've given it some thought, and I might actually prefer to mount the speakers from the outside. Put a wooden ring between the door metal and door panel (bridging the gap, reducing vibration of the door panel). Seal the door with dynamat (or similar) and put some sort of baffle to protect the back of the speaker (trim holes in it to allow the air to vent out of the baffle). Then put a small 1/4" piece of mdf (preferrable wrapped to match the door material) on the outside of the door. Screw the speaker into this (and thereby into the wooden ring on the other side of the panel. Should give plenty of mounting depth and swapping speakers would be a snap. No panel to take off. I would just have to make sure it looked ok. Anyone else try something similar? I'm not worried about resale value because I can replace the door panels if I absolutely have to, but chances of me driving my next car until the wheels fall off are rather high. So resale value is sort of out the window at that point.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
The tupperware method is the best, you can cut it in half, to have a half baffle to use as a splash shield. This way it protects against water, and yet wont hinder the rear waves like a fully enclosed baffle would. I dont know why more people dont use this method...Its a no brainer!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AzGrower said:
The tupperware method is the best, you can cut it in half, to have a half baffle to use as a splash shield. This way it protects against water, and yet wont hinder the rear waves like a fully enclosed baffle would. I dont know why more people dont use this method...Its a no brainer!

yeah, I have no problem with that sort of baffle. It is just as easy to buy a set of baffles from crutchfield and cut them. I don't fiberglass well.

My main question is how to install from the front and it it can be made to look decent

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
sheepdog said:
yeah, I have no problem with that sort of baffle. It is just as easy to buy a set of baffles from crutchfield and cut them. I don't fiberglass well.
Its very easy to do, especially on a project like "the tupperware method", heck you can even use Kitty Hair, which is just fiberglass reinforced body filler. Then you dont need to worry about laying down layers. Learning how to fglass will open a HUGE DOOR of new opportunities in car audio installations.

sheepdog said:
My main question is how to install from the front and it it can be made to look decent
Make a door pod...like you stated earlier. You know, there is a guy I know, Bostonian Fats who had some really nice kick panels made for his Chevy truck where his front baffle could easily be swapped out with different speakers. Let me see if I can find some pics for you, to at least give you some ideas.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AzGrower said:
Make a door pod...like you stated earlier. You know, there is a guy I know, Bostonian Fats who had some really nice kick panels made for his Chevy truck where his front baffle could easily be swapped out with different speakers. Let me see if I can find some pics for you, to at least give you some ideas.

thanks, that would be great.

My 2 car choices are the Toyota Matrix and Mazda 3 hatchback. Both doors would be workable with some sort of door pod. Depending on how I do it, I might even be able to make it look like part of the original door (which is the basic goal). I know I could remake the bottom half of the Mazda door and turn it into a sealed enclosure for the midbass. Blend perfectly, just have to get some assistance from people who know what they are doing.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Here are the pics. YOu can see the kick panel has a removable baffle that you can swap out different speakers. IIRC what he did was just basically use a MDF ring on the backside of the kick, then created a front baffle that could just be screwed and unscrewed in place. Pretty nifty idea that can easily be incorporated into a set of door pods. Once you decided on the vehicle, take some pics of the door panels to see what we can do there for ya.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/...5108AcOWzFu5bNz

1 - 17 of 17 Posts