DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am toying with using the DQX2496 in my install, but I am not confident that I will get the unbalanced/balanced/unbalanced conversion right and noise free. Based on other threads, I understand what needs to be done physically to convert the XLR plugs to RCA. However, I am quite unclear as to the electrical side of the conversion. I assume I need to do something. There have been a few mentions of the use of transformers, but nothing specific. Can anyone help me out here?

A sticky that includes the exhaustive list of steps needed to integrate a balanced 120v processor into a 12v unbalanced mobile audio environment would be extremely helpful. Especially once the noise free 12v power supply is available;)

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
In my experience it's not the balanced/unbalanced conversion that introduces noise, it's ground loops in the power supply. You can use transformers to break that up. But other than that, if your amps can handle a 9v input signal then you're fine. If not, you can disconnect the cold wire from the ground.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's some excellent reading about this subject from Rane's technical library:

http://rane.com/note110.html
http://rane.com/note151.html

The first note has all the different combinations broken out in diagrams. I believe the inputs would be #17, where the RCA signal goes to the XLR hot and the RCA ground goes to the XLR cold. The XLR shield goes to the cable shield (if you have one). The outputs would be #4, where the XLR hot goes to the RCA signal and the XLR shield goes to the RCA ground.

I believe as long as the processor has differential inputs, they should provide isolation between the power supply ground and the input signal reference and thus prevent noise problems.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
That's what I wanted to believe as well... but it still had a TON of noise. Something like the Rane balance buddy or some Jensen transformers do the trick at a price... or maybe Hans will finally release his isolated power supply because I've all but given up on mine ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts