DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i do not know what the mathmatics involved in this are - its something to do with a parabola and the focus point of the sound, im assuming it has to do with the disatnace from the diaphram of the tweeter to the focal point of the parabola to meet the inverse arc - and all that has to do with the diameter of the diaphram and such.

but getting some of these made would be sweet - but the cost of the part would be astronomical. building a pair of these in any sort of accuracy would be next to impossible without precision machine tools too.

but i really like the way that they are going with this design and i think it is extremly fitting for the enviornment of the car audio world.

patrick? any comments? mic wallace?

i just threw this design together using the vifa NE19VTS-04 3\4" silk dome tweeter as a base for dimensioning purposes. im sure there are other tweeters that could benefit, and it would be very easy to integrate into may cars - depending on the depth of the tweeter to be used.

i just cant figure out how these could be made for any acceptable cost, even if they were made in large batches. :confused:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I actually have an Audi A8L W12 with the B&O system in the shop right now.

Rear tweeter.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
What would be cool is to even make something life that out of MDF and fiberglass and use it to snap on over the tweeter for critical listening sessions or competition, even if it is not for everyday use.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Not hard or expensive.

A simple silicone mold made off of a master and you can cast them out of epoxy or urethane.

You could hand form the master or use SLA or 3D printer as mentioned above.

Eric

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Not hard or expensive.

A simple silicone mold made off of a master and you can cast them out of epoxy or urethane.

You could hand form the master or use SLA or 3D printer as mentioned above.

Eric
Up for a new project Eric???

·
Registered
194 Posts
One critical parameter is the distance the dome sits from the parabola, get that wrong and the whole purpose of the lens is destroyed.

Hmm.. I have a presentation on it somewhere, including some nice simulations. Let me see if I can find it..

·
Registered
21 Posts
A similar design to the B&O tweeter lens is the Mirage Omnipolar design. Ever since I saw these speakers, I thought about how they would sound in a dash corner placement. I have the bookshelf speakers at home and I love them. Huge soundstage that make the walls disappear. I'm sure it may not work quite as well in an auto environment, but I can't see it being any worst then a direct radiating speaker. I think a small mid/tweeter up firing into an omniguide at the dash, with a dedicated midbass in the doors would be pretty amazing for soundstage in a car.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I like this idea, I allready used 3D printing for a tweeter cup. Would love to get some info on the dimensions and shapes needed.
Jowens500, how does that Audi sound? :)

req said:
i just cant figure out how these could be made for any acceptable cost, even if they were made in large batches.
If you want to know what the cost is, get an account at: Shapeways | Passionate about creating and upload your model. Choose your material and you have your figure...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hmm... The presentation I have is in danish, but I have uploaded it to my site, here:
http://www.jjaz.dk/privat/b&o.rar

Have a look at it.. I will try and explain any questions you may have, but I am by no means an expert on the "acoustic lens subject".

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Have you seen this thread:
Cloning a $3200 Speaker for $400 - diyAudio

It seems Patrick gave up on it. 3D modeling and printing would be safer ;)
It's a shame I don't see how I could incorporate this in my car. I'd love to try it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
See my original build thread. It was the patent from this that drove the experimentation of the tweeter lens that I was playing with at the time. Though my design differed from theirs, their patent helped mold the shape of some of what I was doing then. My results were positive in that it was clear this was a path that could produce results, but I found that I could get further by selecting speakers with favorable directivity patterns and careful aiming in less time. Finding the Beo5 and the patent online as I started researching what I was doing made me realize that it had already been done and that I was following a path that already had a solution, so my time wasn't being spent coming up with something new.

It always comes back to time...

-T

·
Premium Member
6,046 Posts
Patrick gave up on a project? If *he* gives up on something, that's when you truly know it's beyond the realm of what you can do at home :D
I nearly cut my thumb off on that project :O

I should post the pics on my forum, they're disgusting

Walked into the supermarket with half my thumb hanging off and a trail of blood behind me

(real DIYers don't go to the hospital, right?)

My right thumb has been tingling for three years now because of that stupid project

But it IS a neat idea isn't it?

It's tough to build though. The dimensions are really tight, and I was using power tools, and they're not forgiving...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
3D printing would be a much safer way to try it :)
It's not that hard to produce a 3D drawing if you know what you want. Upload it and you get your model. Materials are still a bit limited but more are getting available in time.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts