DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a pretty beat up '88 toyota pickup. The doors appear to have no speaker ports in them whatsoever, but they're pretty torn apart so I cant really tell. The wiring harness is coming through the din opening, but most of the wires are clipped off the back of the plug. I can find most of the matching colored wires, but I suspect the wiring to the harness is shot. Is it possible to simply splice wires from the right destinations to the head unit?

on to the setup. I don't really want to buy an amp, as I'm just trying to get a decent sounding ipod playing stereo for under 400$. I initially thought that 2 tweeters, 2 speakers and a sub, but I was told i'd need crossovers and an amp and more power so; I've been thinking about getting an internally powered sub like one of those bazooka bass-tubes from crutchfield and some 100-150$ range speakers. I'd then need an HU with one pre-amp output for the sub, and powered plugs for the speakers?

What should I do?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'd grab adigital multi meter and use the original harness. Do it right the first time, if you re-run the wires you'll have your original wires taking up room which can be annoying. If you're going to spend 150ish dollars on speakers it's best to amp them to get the most out of them along with adding some sound deadener. Also, 400 dollars is a high budget for a cd player, what features besides the use of an ipod are you wanting? There are head units on the 200 range that have ipod features. As far as power wire Knukonceptz makes quality stuff for the price and i don't think you'll get a better deal for the price unless you look around for deals. Take a look around the classifieds section and you'll be able to build a decent setup with a decent amount of money if you're willing to buy used. For the 150ish price you can check out Image ynamics 6.5 CTX's components @ woofersetc.com goodluck on your build.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Look into some of the Pioneer decks. Some can actually bridge the two rear channels to get about 70wrms @ 2ohm. Slap some components on the front channels and a 2ohm sub on the bridged rears and you got yourself a cheap and simple setup.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Look into some of the Pioneer decks. Some can actually bridge the two rear channels to get about 70wrms @ 2ohm. Slap some components on the front channels and a 2ohm sub on the bridged rears and you got yourself a cheap and simple setup.

Never knew that was possible, off the top of your head do you know which pioneer units?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here's what I'm thinking

HU: Pioneer-DEH-6300UB

speakers: JL-Audio-C2-600X

I'd start with just these, get them all wired up and working before I ordered the sub, then I'd either go for

A Pioneer-TS-SWX251 bridged over the back two channels (must the bridged sub have a 2 ohm impetance? this one is 4...)

or a Kicker-11PT8 (enclosed powered woofer) to a pre-amp output

what do you guys think?

Thanks for helping a total noob

/abel

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
here's what I'm thinking

HU: Pioneer-DEH-6300UB

speakers: JL-Audio-C2-600X

I'd start with just these, get them all wired up and working before I ordered the sub, then I'd either go for

A Pioneer-TS-SWX251 bridged over the back two channels (must the bridged sub have a 2 ohm impetance? this one is 4...)

or a Kicker-11PT8 (enclosed powered woofer) to a pre-amp output

what do you guys think?

Thanks for helping a total noob

/abel

Have you looked into Hybrid audio technologies 6.5 imagine? They are known to be really good. Why not the C3 instead of the C2?
Read on the imagine set here: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-reviews-product-comparisons/74505-hat-imagine-6-5-set.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im really tryna keep the cost of the composites under 200$. that way for 400$ ill be able to at least get tunes in the truck; then another 200$ to bring in the bass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts