DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there was a time that i may have scoffed at the idea of doing a system in a prius, believing that no one who buys one would want to have a full build in their hyper milers :) but since coming to california, where the reality of high gas prices set in, and most importantly, after actually working on one, my viewpoint has basically done a complete 180. Nowadays, the current gen Prius is perhaps one of my favorite vehicles to work on, it has a surprisingly stout electrical system, an interior that can achieve good SQ results using stock locations, and just overall a decent car to take apart and put back together.

So it was actually kind of exciting to do this 2014 model, as it is the first prius plugin i have worked on.

The goals were simple:

1. achieve a decent level of sound quality on a modest budget

2. maintain a total stealth appearance inside the cabin

3. have good low end performance but maintain all storage space and spare

lets get started:

the signal starts with the new flagship pioneer 8000NEX headunit, this is our first experience with this unit and i am very impressed. the capacitive touch screen is super responsive, and it truly behaves like a phone or tablet:

using a voltage stepper and some other parts, i was able to retain his oem backup camera to work with the pioneer headunit:

for the front stage, as is the norm with our entry level SQ builds a pair of Morel Tempo Ultra 6.5" component was used. the speakers were installed in the stock locations, first, new speaker wires were run into the doors:

then the door was sound proofed with a combination of STP CLD and stinger foam:

then a pair of spacer baffles were fabricated and coated with several layers of truck bedliner to protect them against the elements:

the baffles were then bolted to the door using stock mounting points:

and the morel tempo ultra midbass installed:

the outer door skin also received some CLD to help with resonance:

the same procedure was repeated on the passenger side:

the Tempo ultra tweeters were installed in the stock location via a set of slightly modified illusion audio tweeter mounting bridges, the bridges were trimmed out and painted and the morel tweeters fitted, then they were bolted into the car:

to power the entire system actively and still keep thing hidden, a single arc audio xdiv2 1200.6 sends 150 watts x 4 to the front stage, and 600 watts to the sub. the amp, along with the mosconi 4to6dsp that controls it all, resides in a combination rack under the front passenger seat...similar to the ones i done before.

front the outside of the car, the only thing you can see is the side of the amp rack:

a few quick build pics of the rack, first, the two sections were fabricated and all the mounting holes pre drilled:

they were then vinyled and secured together:

then a section of the carpet was trimmed away and four rivet nuts were installed into the floor pan:

the rack was then bolted in place:

then the various wire bundles were organized, secured and ran down to the area below the passenger seat:

then the amp and dsp was installed and everything wired up:

moving onto the hatch area, the only component visible is a side fiberglass enclosure. in the past, we have done 8" subs there but for this build, we went up in size and did a single audiomobile gts 2110 driver.

the goal was to keep the box was recessed as possible, so here in normal view, the box is pushed back to behind the opening threashold of the trunk. there is a breathable grille in place to protect the sub:

pop off the grille and the audiomobile sub is visible, the box itself is roughly about half a cubic foot, well suited for the 2110:

a few quick build pics of the box, first, the area was taped off and the back mold laid down, bonded to a mdf floor:

when that cured, it was removed from the vehicle, trimmed, and the ring baffle with flush mounting walls made out of low heat plastic (lets see if anyone reads this line re low heat plastic) was aimed and secured:

then mold cloth was pulled, resin applied, allowed to cure and reinforced from the inside via. the outter edges were backfilled and then sanded smooth, resulting in this bare enclosure:

then the enclosure was carpeted and wired up:

and finally, the breathable grille was fabricated and carpeted:

so thats it for this very simple project, and once again, the combination of arc audio xdiv2 amp, gts 2110, tempo ultra and 4to6dsp continues to yield great results at a modest budget. the midbass is full of impact and the mids and hgihs are detailed yet smooth. the 10's extra ouput really does well to fill the cabin. imaging and staging are all above average for a stock location car, its just an overall, very balanced system that is pleasant to listen to for hour and hours.

cheers,

Bing

·
Registered
34 Posts
when that cured, it was removed from the vehicle, trimmed, and the ring baffle with flush mounting walls made out of low heat plastic (lets see if anyone reads this line re low heat plastic) was aimed and secured:
Wait... what's the blue ring around the sub baffle made out of again? :laugh:

Barely noticed the enclosure in the first wide shot of the trunk - beautiful work :)

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Nice work. I almost missed the sub enclosure too.

A quick heads up, we've had some problems with the 8000NEX. We had one that just randomly locked up and would not restart even after a hard reset. We had another one that I put a CD in, was testing everything out, and when I hit eject, it did everything you'd expect except it didn't stop playing and it didn't eject the disc. It slid the face down, but nothing happened. I've heard a couple other issues from other stores in the chain, so just something to keep in mind.

Does the factory Toyota camera work on 5V or something?

Jay

·
Registered
160 Posts
there was a time that i may have scoffed at the idea of doing a system in a prius, believing that no one who buys one would want to have a full build in their hyper milers :) but since coming to california, where the reality of high gas prices set in, and most importantly, after actually working on one, my viewpoint has basically done a complete 180. Nowadays, the current gen Prius is perhaps one of my favorite vehicles to work on, it has a surprisingly stout electrical system, an interior that can achieve good SQ results using stock locations, and just overall a decent car to take apart and put back together.

So it was actually kind of exciting to do this 2014 model, as it is the first prius plugin i have worked on.
Another great install!

As somewhat a car guy, I was in the same camp. But being a car guy the more I looked at the Prius, the more I got turned on. It is an amazing piece of technology.

It's funny, your not the only shop owner to find it exciting. I took mine to a nearby tuning shop that specializes in Subaru's. They thought I was nuts for wanting a performance alignment on a Prius. That said, I reviewed the dash cam video afterwards and it was funny to hear their comments. As it was the first they had seen up close, they were almost giddy as they were checking it out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Your install is really making me consider mounting my amp and DSP under the passenger seat also to save on the cargo storage.

Hopefully you can answer a couple of quick questions: What is your preferred way to hook into the battery? Also, what do you do for, and where do you usually place the fuse box? Any pics?

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your install is really making me consider mounting my amp and DSP under the passenger seat also to save on the cargo storage.

Hopefully you can answer a couple of quick questions: What is your preferred way to hook into the battery? Also, what do you do for, and where do you usually place the fuse box? Any pics?
in the prius we just hook right to the 12v battery int he back, and usually have the fuse holder secured right next to the battery. if we do another one i will try and grab a pic. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts