Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I tried sending the bellow message to NVX, but they haven't gotten back to me, and it's been several days. I'm tired of waiting, so I figured I'd come on here to ask anyone if they could help answer my question, and maybe give some input as to whether I should do a 5-channel amp or a 4 channel + 1 mono setup. Here was my original message:

I’m currently trying to design my car audio setup and trying to decide if I want to go with a 4channel amp + mono block amp, or do a 5 channel amp. I’m thinking of going with your VAD11005 amp, but then noticed there is a difference in the bass knobs between the VAD11005 amp and something like the VAD10001 (both pictured below). While they both have the Gain, LPF, Subsonic and Boost knobs/controls, the VAD10001 has a “Bass Freq.” knob while the VAD11005 does not. So my question is what does the “Bass Freq.” knob/setting do? Also, what is the difference between the “Gain” and “Boost” controls?

So hoping someone has some answers as to what these controls are. Also, again, if you have reasons why I should do a 5 channel or 4channel + 1 mono, then I'd love to hear your input. Hope everyone is doing awesome.

Keep bumpin',

Kevin

·
Registered
376 Posts
The mono amp lets you select the boost frequency between 40hz-100hz. The 5 channel has fixed frequency. Gain is used to match the input voltage. Boost does just that... boosts a certain frequency usually 40hzish. 5 channel is easier install, the 4-1 will give you more watts to the sub but will come at the cost of space and electrical drain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The mono amp lets you select the boost frequency between 40hz-100hz. The 5 channel has fixed frequency. Gain is used to match the input voltage. Boost does just that... boosts a certain frequency usually 40hzish. 5 channel is easier install, the 4-1 will give you more watts to the sub but will come at the cost of space and electrical drain.
Succinct and to the point. Thanks for the info, Dave. Appreciate it. Really like the idea of being able to select my boost frequency, but also really love the idea of an easier install and not having as much electrical drain on my car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@DaveG would you mind explaining how exactly the subsonic filter would act? From one website I found the description: "A subsonic filter is a component on your subwoofer that reduces the intensity of notes which come through at lower frequencies. It decreases the amplitude of those low notes that you feel more than you hear." So then lets say I set the subsonic filter at 10Hz, that means that it would cut the frequencies off at 10hz, 10Hz and below, 10Hz and above?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sure. If you're using a sealed sub it's not important unless your enclosure is way too big. But in a ported enclosure the speaker will bottom out below the tuned frequency when pushing it hard. It's there to protect the speaker below where the enclosure is tuned.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The subsonic filter is a Highpass Filter, so it will cut the frequencies below it's setting. As DaveG mentioned, typically you don't need them for small sealed enclosures ... you do need them for most ported and infinite baflle installs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts