DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm having trouble deciding on whether to put smaller 3-4" speakers or fitting 6.5" speakers in my doors. I'm trying to work with what I got/what I can afford(which isn't really much), and right now am leaning towards CDT ES-4's(or whatever else I can find that'll play very well up to 2kHz), but of course it will not play as low as larger speakers. 6.5" speakers are kind of a tight fit, I'd rather have something under 6" in the door; plus I already have CDT M6's(they recommend a ported enclosure for these speakers, since it seems no one has really tried building a specific enclosure for these: if I do run them I'll try to fabricate a fiberglass ported "bladder-style" enclosure in the door, similar to the "Bass tubes" in the JDM Honda CRXs.).

My plan right now is to have the rears compensate for bass(under about 200Hz) but would this be a good idea? Would it be better to have the full range up front? I've seen many prefer a 3-way up front, but I pretty much have no room for a 3-way; so in essence would it be fine to run the tweeters/mids up front with the mid-woofers in the rear and still sound as well as a 3-way setup?

Thanks, Kevin N.E.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
You can get decent response in a car door/kick pod from a 6.5"
Dont expect anything resembling midbass response from a 4". If you only have room for 2 drivers up front, why not just go with a 6.5" 2-way setup up front ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Try to make some mdf or hardwood plates or something that will make the 6.5 fit up front. I'm sure its possible, and would sound much better

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The 6.5's can be made to fit, I'm sure, but the drivers I have seem like they don't perform too well from reviews I've read(CDT M6); if I go that route I'll definitely want to build a enclosure with the specs CDT recommends(IIRC, like a .35ft^3 with a double-flared port tube; pretty large to fit in that door).

If I can trade for better 6.5s, I'd probably put them in the doors; but that's highly unlikely. 4" speakers seem easier to find at a reasonable cost. Not to mention; a lot of mid-bass would probably shake the hell out of my doors(they don't even have side-impact beams); and I'm trying to avoid have doors filled with sound-dampening material(SQ is not top priority with this car, just trying to improve the car as much as I can without adding too much weight).

If I can run kick pods, I would; but I would need very shallow speakers(clutch would come VERY close; I'd probably kick it a lot).

So I guess it's safe for me to assume a front 6.5" 2-way is the best route to go instead of a "3-way" with the mid-woofers in the back? What about 5.25"(which is the stock size btw)?

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
It's really important that your midbass be a minimum of 6.5" and not only that, but in my opinion (and experience) the driver you pick needs to be capable of kicking butt to be effective. I would argue that an 8" midbass is the "ideal" but there are some 6.5" midbasses that are beastly enough to get it done.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah but what I was trying to get at is whether mid-range in the front with mid-bass in the back would work fine(having those 6.5" drivers in a sealed enclosure in the back with the 4" drivers up front).

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yeah but what I was trying to get at is whether mid-range in the front with mid-bass in the back would work fine(having those 6.5" drivers in a sealed enclosure in the back with the 4" drivers up front).
yes. it has been said to work really well. do a search on "sphere of confusion" or "circle of confusion"

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
In my opinion, there is a "tactile" experience that goes along with bass sound and I can tell where the bulk of the bass is coming from. I couldn't stand the bulk of the bass coming from my trunk. It annoyed the crap out of me. I have gone out of my way to mod my doors and move my comps to kick panels just to move more bass up front. Now I have a 50Hz highpass on my midbasses up front. It's EXACTLY what I hoped it would be. When a drum solo kicks out, I get impact and the tactile feel of a performance in front of me. So, if I were giving my personal advice. I would recommend trying to put as much bass up front as you can get. I find my enjoyment level has gone up dramatically.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
yes. it has been said to work really well. do a search on "sphere of confusion" or "circle of confusion"
Thank you very much!

My Civic has the rear 6.5" pods right next to the side rear windows, so should work better than a rear-deck or trunk setup. Also my car is a hatchback, if that makes any difference.

What about having the rear speakers face the front vs towards the roof? The CRX has the rear speakers facing the front; and if that works better I can modify rear CRX panels to fit my car.

I understand that having more bass up front is desired, but isn't that the point of the "circle of confusion"?

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Thank you very much!

My Civic has the rear 6.5" pods right next to the side rear windows, so should work better than a rear-deck or trunk setup. Also my car is a hatchback, if that makes any difference.

What about having the rear speakers face the front vs towards the roof? The CRX has the rear speakers facing the front; and if that works better I can modify rear CRX panels to fit my car.

I understand that having more bass up front is desired, but isn't that the point of the "circle of confusion"?

Well with "midbass" frequencies, it is still pretty easy for me to locate where the sound is coming from.
Honestly, I think you'd be best served by doing a 6.5" 2 way setup. Make sure you cut a decent baffle to mount them to in the doors and you'll be fine. ;)

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
In the olden days people actually ran 6x9 in the back and they made plenty of midbass, but you just don't do that anymore or so I'm told.:) Otherwise I agree, I'd put the largest thing I could fit in front and always have.

I can tell anything from about 80Hz up is from the back. Still if properly set up a system with rears can sound good...IMO, and have a lot more MB than just fronts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts