DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! My name is Bill and I have been lurking around a few months now and enjoying this site. I recently got back into car audio after about 20 years! I hope you guys/gals can help me. I have an old Kenwood. Krc-405 HU with a RF punch 200-2 for the fronts (kicker ds600 co-ax) and a RF Punch 150HD for two 8" RF punch audiophile Rfa-408. The HU only has front and rear RCA outputs, no sub output. The punch 150hd is on the rear channels.

Here is my question...I get strong punchy bass when i move the balance on the HU either full right or full left(only one sub) When I balance out at center the bass cuts down a lot(both subs). Not sure why. Maybe because the HU does not have a separate sub output? I hope I am making sense. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
I have a Pioneer Premier DEH-P500UB CD player and recently purchased an Hifonics ZXi150.4 amplifier to run speakers in my vehicle. To run this 4-channel amplifier in a 3-channel configuration with a set of 6.5 components and a single 2ohm DVC subwoofer, it says that channels 3/4 of the amplifier require a mono signal for the subwoofer. I would like to use the subwoofer RCA preouts on this Pioneer head unit to supply the signal to my amp so that i can use the related subwoofer functions on this head unit.

My question is, are the two (red and white pair) subwoofer RCA preouts on my head unit a stereo signal or are each one the same mono signal? If they are a stereo signal, can I use the white subwoofer preout only and connect a y-splitter cable to make a mono signal for the amplifier from the head unit? Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully this isn't one of those questions that is been beat to death already. I tried searching on here, google, and yahoo, but can't find an answer.

Thanks,

Eric

According to page 55 of your owner's manual, the subwoofer output is mono.

Wow, it does say that. I downloaded that manual and read through it probably three times and missed that each time! I even sent Pioneer customer support an e-mail asking them about it (Their answer was for me to call them... so helpful). I really appreciate the time that you took to look that up for me.
I have used one rca to feed my amplifier for 4 subwoofers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am pretty sure my subs are in phase but I will double check. I also have a y-splitter laying around. I will give the suggestions a try and report back. Thanks!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok...phase is good. I tried the y splitter and it's still has low bass output. I did notice if I remove one of the rca's at the amp, left or right, the channel still plugged in gets louder and deeper like it should sound. With both....way less.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Could be wrong but it sounds like you have low voltage

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be wrong but it sounds like you have low voltage

I am using 8g wire. It's not the biggest but either is the amp. It's only 75w x 2. I had the same power wire running my alphasonik GP2075. That's was also 75w x 2. Maybe the amp is slowly going kaput. It is about 20 years old.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Sorry I meant low voltage after you split the signal with the Y splitter especially if your HU has very low output.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I meant low voltage after you split the signal with the Y splitter especially if your HU has very low output.

No worries. See it does it either with or without the y-splitter. Maybe your right. The HU doesn't have enough bass signal to send out for both left and right at the same time. Hmmmm, maybe a new HU is due.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like you've simply got the drivers out of phase with each other-swap the terminals round on one and re-test:)
Ok you guys, I feel like an idiot. After thinking about it and triple checking I realized that I WAS out of phase on my subs! I switched the + and - wires on one sub and the result was.......ton of bass!!! I cant believe I did such a bone head move early on. Now I just have to turn down the gains and bass knob on the amp. Plenty of power to spare now! Thanks for the help and especially to The Baron for hitting right on the button!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts