DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Spotify for a while now and was pretty happy with it. Today, one of my coworkers wanted to show me some songs so they popped in their dead mouse CD and the songs had a lot more punch then what I was used to my system sounding like. I pulled up the same song on my phone and it didn't hit as hard. I have my Spotify set to the highest quality audio and haven't messed with any equalizers on my phone. Has anyone heard of this being an issue? Have any solutions? I'd like to be able to keep all my songs on my phone and easy to get to but if Spotify isn't going to give me the most out of my subs then I'd be willing to do something else for my extra punchy songs

·
Registered
548 Posts
All I know is between Bluetooth and usb hec in my psix is pretty obvious the usb sounds and hits way better. Are you connecting BT? Is there any way you can go hardwired? BT cuts off the low end extensively - you lose a ton of that low end growl.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Where does your friend get his music? If he records from “remastered” cds, those have probably been boosted to sound “better”. Since you use Spotify, try downloading a regular version of a song and then search/download a remastered version and see if they sound different.

·
Registered
260 Posts
All I know is between Bluetooth and usb hec in my psix is pretty obvious the usb sounds and hits way better. Are you connecting BT? Is there any way you can go hardwired? BT cuts off the low end extensively - you lose a ton of that low end growl.
I don't buy this... at least with modern Bluetooth codecs. With something like the Kentwood Excelon KDC-X994 I had over a decade ago yeah, BT streaming was terrible and definitely lacked low end.

Have noticed no issues in modern times. Only thing I've noticed is a difference in source levels. My CD's were definitely a tad louder than Spotify, the difference is more noticeable now since Spotify lowered their levels a while back. Thought I was going def at first since Spotify almost my sole source.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've been using Spotify for a while now and was pretty happy with it. Today, one of my coworkers wanted to show me some songs so they popped in their dead mouse CD and the songs had a lot more punch then what I was used to my system sounding like. I pulled up the same song on my phone and it didn't hit as hard. I have my Spotify set to the highest quality audio and haven't messed with any equalizers on my phone. Has anyone heard of this being an issue? Have any solutions? I'd like to be able to keep all my songs on my phone and easy to get to but if Spotify isn't going to give me the most out of my subs then I'd be willing to do something else for my extra punchy songs
Be careful, it almost sounds like you are saying you can hear a difference between Original CD quality vs Compressed 320 mp3 which for some on this board is heresy :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use a USB cord to connect my phone to my head unit

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where does your friend get his music? If he records from “remastered” cds, those have probably been boosted to sound “better”. Since you use Spotify, try downloading a regular version of a song and then search/download a remastered version and see if they sound different.
It's a store bought CD

·
Registered
178 Posts
Try Tidal streaming services. Spotify is very compressed. Tidal streams master files and depending on your data speed, it streams in full quality.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Be careful, it almost sounds like you are saying you can hear a difference between Original CD quality vs Compressed 320 mp3 which for some on this board is heresy :)
Trying to find out if that's the case, I thought newer would be better, I assumed CD would be limited by their storage capacity and that digital copies would be more clean but now I'm unsure.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Allegedly the average person can’t hear a difference in blind abx testing. I would hope I could - especially if given source material I’m familiar with - but I’m not gonna bet the farm on it.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Trying to find out if that's the case, I thought newer would be better, I assumed CD would be limited by their storage capacity and that digital copies would be more clean but now I'm unsure.
Cd is 1411kbps, mp3 from Spotify is 320, in Spotify’s case the digital isn’t lossless or anywhere near cd quality

I use deezer which does stream in lossless cd quality of you have the hifi tier

Your assumption is not accurate, Spotify is not a patch on cd, which as said, some view as heresy 🙈

1 - 15 of 15 Posts