DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was thinking about adding a battery to my truck under the bunk simply to make it easier to run power cables for a few amps and a big inverter. And so it can be isolated from the truck system when needed, like at the yards for repair.

What I'm wondering is, is it even safe to store a battery in an poorly or non ventilated space. I know they put a lot of batteries in trunks and trunks do have air flow in from the trunks some through ski pass throughs or rear deck holes. So there seems to be a battery safe to share breathable air.

What I'm also curious about are batteries with higher voltage. Seen some batteries in audio shops that are 14.4v 16v and 18v. Can those even be safely integrated into a 12v system?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Use an AGM battery...no venting needed. as far as the 14, 16, 18 volt batteries, they won't really do you any good without having the ability to charge them at a higher voltage.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Use an AGM battery...no venting needed. as far as the 14, 16, 18 volt batteries, they won't really do you any good without having the ability to charge them at a higher voltage.
exactly, so you need an alternator with a higher voltage. I might add that most amplifiers will go into protect with any input voltage higher than 16.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Peterbilt 387. 4 900CCA batteries. Multiple posts outside to jump to for charging. Have a thermoking tripak auxiliary unit that is able to provide 60-100A of charging while sitting (not sure and my dmm I brought broke)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Isn't that curious, minbari? Guess the 18v batteries are for specialized amps? Or perhaps an isolated bank charged solely by plug in battery chargers?

Now I know some caps say they're 18v so that just means they can charge up that high IF you have an alternator that can manage it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Since you've got basically unlimited battery capacity already with 4 batteries that have some deep cycle capabilities and an onboard charger, how about this. Just add a switch in the cab so you can turn off the system completely when it's in the shop. That way it separated from any testing that may affect it and you don't have to add a battery in the cab.

My concern would be that a weak battery will take down good ones unless your replacing all of them they will shorten the life of the new one. I'm sure with a diesel you know not to replace one at a time. Deep Cycles don't tend to have a lot of amps for cranking, but in a diesel you have multiple batteries paralleled to make up for it, so your well ahead of the game capacity wise having 4.

If you do have to add another I would go with a sealed box vented to the outside, they all gas a little but it would sure suck to have one blow up in the cab no matter how unlikely that may be.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I'm beginning to wonder how good these batteries are lately. Gets cold and they drain too fast. Don't think they put new batteries in like they said they did.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Isn't that curious, minbari? Guess the 18v batteries are for specialized amps? Or perhaps an isolated bank charged solely by plug in battery chargers?

Now I know some caps say they're 18v so that just means they can charge up that high IF you have an alternator that can manage it?
most of the people that run 18V are bass racers and they disable the protection circuits. (they also isolate the 18V from the car or they would blow up the car electronics) and yes, usually those guy run high current power supplies since they plug in to charge em. when you are drawing 750+ amps, alternators wont cut it anymore.

·
Registered
395 Posts
There are quite a few brands that make 18 volt amplifiers now...American Bass, Soundigital, etc...plus with the adjustable voltage high output alternators they use (isolated from the rest of the car) there are many SPL competitors using them now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts