DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I will look into / consider a small clamp meter. But I already know my electrical system is right on the edge of what it can handle, by the difference I can hear from when the alternator is cold and charging to 14.5 volts, vs hot, and only charging to low 13's.
And the other thing, was making the electrical strong enough for future upgrades.

Glad I posted about this though.... As I have learned about "gassing" being an issue to consider, "not" just with cheap batts, but lead/acid batts in general.

Will give more consideration to cheap AGM's....

Thanks to all for the input.
In spirit of the thread title... "Convince me".
How do you know you are right at the limit?

This seems more like "feeling" in the absence of any evidence to support the facts.
Hence I am out, as I cannot refute, or support feelings as a way to make rational decisions.

But feelings are great for Valentine's Day, which is a place where they work better.

XO my friend.
(V-day gift is tough ❤)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
In spirit of the thread title... "Convince me".
How do you know you are right at the limit?

This seems more like "feeling" in the absence of any evidence to support the facts.
Hence I am out, as I cannot refute, or support feelings as a way to make rational decisions.

But feelings are great for Valentine's Day, which is a place where they work better.

XO my friend.
(V-day gift is tough ❤)
I think I have explained why I "know" its right at the limit of what it can do... But let me try again.... Because if I beat on the system pretty hard, my voltage drops, and the system starts to clip easier, and not hit as hard. This is worse when its hot (Sacramento Summer). Now granted, it does seem to be a little better (less drop) right now, but its still pretty cool weather. Summers coming, and eventually, I'll be running more power, and at least, and extra battery or two.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
You're probably right.
I am running regulated amps, so it is like apples and oranges to get my head around.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts