DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
if i add a battery isolator the amp rating on the isolator is for the battery or the alternator? as in if the alternator is rated at 250amps does the isolator have to be rated at 250amps or better?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Yes the isolator should be rated above the 250.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Yes the isolator should be rated above the 250.
sorry, wrong.

you want to rate the isolator for the amplifiers you have. if you can pull 150amps from all your amplifiers, then get 150amp version. there is no reason to get one rated for the alternator.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Right your just switching for the amps an the amps will never reach that high of output.

I'm not wrong. If the amps draw the full, you want the full. Better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Right your just switching for the amps an the amps will never reach that high of output.

I'm not wrong. If the amps draw the full, you want the full. Better safe then sorry.
he never specified how many amps his amplifiers could draw. if they can draw 250amps, then yes, you would need a 250 amp isolator. if they draw 50 amps, you would only need 50A isolator. there is no way for the current to just go there for fun. something has to draw it there.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Its cheaper and better to go with a high amp relay, like the one stinger sells. This way you won't get the 1ish volt drop. Very important if running loosely regulated amps.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Its cheaper and better to go with a high amp relay, like the one stinger sells. This way you won't get the 1ish volt drop. Very important if running loosely regulated amps.
those are both called isolators. The one you are talking about is called a diode isolator and yes, do not use those. too much loss and create alot of heat.

the solenoid isolators are essentially super high current relays.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
You are correct, but like i stated, you don't get the voltage drop with the relay, you do with an isolater. I've used both, and by far the relay is cheaper, smaller, last longer and more reliable. Any thing else you wanna argue about, like that the Rangers won't beat the Cardinals? LOL just kidding:laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
lol, maybe argue that baseball is not a real sport, lol. he he, I dont care if they win or not ;)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Your right, not much of a baseball fan, but when UT beats MIZZWHO, thats
another matter.

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Your right, not much of a baseball fan, but when UT beats MIZZWHO, thats
another matter.
Enough of the baseball nice nice.
Both teams suck.
Doesn't even feel like a real World Series this year.

More Electrical technician sword fighting pleazzze! :p

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
407 Posts
Angry cause a Cali teams not in it. Im not an ET. Though I did put a Kraco underdash 8track on a John Deer years ago. Does that count?

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Angry cause a Cali teams not in it. Im not an ET. Though I did put a Kraco underdash 8track on a John Deer years ago. Does that count?
YES!
It's not a true WS unless it's a west coast east coast series! :p

NO!
8tracks are not music.
Any medium that actually interrupts a song to perform a mechanical operation does not count. :p:p

So come on you two, more electrical Jujitsu!

Bret
PPI ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
YES!

NO!
8tracks are not music.
Any medium that actually interrupts a song to perform a mechanical operation does not count. :p:p

Bret
PPI ART COLLECTOR

you crack me up!

fine.........your electrons spin counter clockwise! that is the problem!

·
Registered
407 Posts
YES!

NO!
8tracks are not music.

Bret
PPI ART COLLECTOR
So I guess my Teac reel to reel don't count as music players either. So foolish grasshopper

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
you have to spin your amplifier REALLY fast the other way, like 100k RPM. then the electrons will spin the other way, thus fixing all your phase issues and saving the world!

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
you have to spin your amplifier REALLY fast the other way, like 100k RPM. then the electrons will spin the other way, thus fixing all your phase issues and saving the world!
I'M ALL ABOUT THAT!
I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW THAT GOES.

I'M ON IT!

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

1 - 20 of 30 Posts