DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when adding a second battery do u need to add an isolator or not. also what is the best way to wire them up. also what is the purpose of the isolator. bcae has a diagram, it throws u off because of how its wired . im sure its right i just dont see what the reasoning is. with the extra fused distro block, seems the amps would still pull from front battery. any of u executive audio peeps have some clarification for a rookie?:inout:
Basic Car Audio Electronics

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I don't know why you need a second battery. On the first place, when your system are pulling more than what your alternator can produce, why not upgrade your alternator first? I'm sure that it will cause you less pain and cheaper. Using a stock alternator to charge 2 batteries will lead to more problem later on.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don't know why you need a second battery. On the first place, when your system are pulling more than what your alternator can produce, why not upgrade your alternator first? I'm sure that it will cause you less pain and cheaper. Using a stock alternator to charge 2 batteries will lead to more problem later on.
i upgraded my hood battery to a kinetic 1800. last night i came up on a 600hc kinetic for free, well i installed some electric for someone as a trade. im gonna be adding a third amp to my system, components up front, also keeping rear fill, i like the passengers to enjoy the tunes as well. the way it was installed in his vehicle was,,, he had three 500/1 jl. they ran main from front battery to back, connected to isolator, then isolator to 600hc with a fuse in line. then off battery to amps. also the remote connected to the isolator in then out to amps... in this configuration the amps seem to have ran only off of the 600 hc, if that is true the amps wouldnt be getting enough juice since the amps totaled 1500watts. whether i actually need it or not doesnt matter since it was basically free.:)

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
i upgraded my hood battery to a kinetic 1800. last night i came up on a 600hc kinetic for free, whether i actually need it or not doesnt matter since it was basically free.:)
when you don't know what or why...

Free can get expensive ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when you don't know what or why...

Free can get expensive ;)
true that..... the guy that responded first said i didnt need it. thats why i said that.
im just trying to figure the best way to install this if i decide to. in all actuality i may even use it for my suv which could definately use the extra juice. :D

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Audio - simple use the wattage rating of the amplifier you are using. If the amp is not one of quality use the fuses on the amps and put them into this equation A x 12.5 = W this will tell you the total wattage that amp should be able to make. then again add them all up and you know the total you need to support. Vehicle - DONT FORGET THE TRUCK! . The vehicle is designed to work based on its factory alternator and battery alone it cannot make any more power than that. So how do you find out what you truck needs to function. Simple use this equation again Amperage of your alternator x 12.5 = wattage Now the end result add up the vehicle, the amplifier wattage take that total and this is what you need to support.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
It depends on the application, the location, and your desires.

I'd recommend steering clear of a battery isolator, too much voltage drop and there are better ways of isolating a second battery- A multi battery solenoid is a way better way to go because the 2 batteries are truly in parallel when it's activated and separated when it's not.

Ideally any time you have more than one battery you want them as identical as possible so one doesn't "feed" off the other.

I've got dual batteries in my truck, but they're both under the hood so I just wired them parallel with 1/0. I also have a 250 amp alternator with an overdrive pulley, so I'm able to keep them both charged. They're identical, both bought at the same time with the same date code. I just got the biggest ones I could fit from a regular auto store.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this isnt the best way to go? [i upgraded my hood battery to a kinetic 1800. last night i came up on a 600hc kinetic for free

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
That's a solenoid, not an isolator. It'll work fine.

"Isolator", in the original sense, is something that looks like a heatsink with 3 (or sometimes 4) terminals on the top, it's basically just an input and 2 outputs diodeisolated from the input with rectifiers.
The relay/solenoid you pictured does "isolate" the 2 batteries from each other until it's engaged, then it runs them parallel when it's activated.

Hopefully I didn't confuse earlier by using the word "isolator" to mean a "multi battery isolator" rather than "something that isolates batteries".

Battery isolator:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
http://www.pac-audio.com/instructions/PAC-200.pdf thanks for the input. much appreciated. the diagram frpm that link is that the best wiring situation? battery 1 under hood, main + to pac. remote wire to pac. other terminal to ground. out other large terminal of pac, fuse inline to battery2 positive. negative battery terminal to ground. when remote is on it allows current to flow through the pac? the amps then have power lines run directly off positive on battery 2. i guess i just dont fully understand how it works. with it wired this way do the amps then only run off battery2? the vehicle it was in had 1500 watts with this configuration of wiring. the 600 hc is enough for that, or do the amps pull from both batteries still?
one other thing is what if front battery is a factory car battery? that is how they had it. that isnt a good thing? u stated urs are exactly the same.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you dont plan on running your system with the car off, there really is no need for an isolator of any kind.
makes sense. now with the batteries in parrellel do the amps run off both batteries? i would need the pac for my app

·
Registered
84 Posts
makes sense. now with the batteries in parrellel do the amps run off both batteries? i would need the pac for my app
Yes running them in parallel they will run off both batteries, but that is kind of the point of running multiple batteries. Especially when running only a 600 in the rear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts