DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Motorcraft battery has let me down a couple times now. My own fault really.. but listening to music with the car off... after about an hr, maybe 1.5hr she is toast. My classAB amps put a hurting on my stock 2yr old battery. :(

Anyway... I believe my battery is a group 96R. From what I understand I can put a group 40R in place if I have some extra width available in the tray. I will check into this during lunch today.

What options are out there for some cold starting, but long reserve capacity?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I would say get the biggest AGM battery you can fit. you can get the "audio" style batteries or sears platinum series.

also, you could get a second battery with an isolator. then you could kill that battery and not effect the car's battery.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Second battery is all well and good, and have done it in the past.. but really have a stealth install going on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You might be able to fit something like the Odyssey 75-PC1230 in your stock location, but I doubt the stock hold down bracket would work. It would also be at least an inch taller than your current battery. I'm pretty sure group size 96R is made just for Ford (and their subsidiaries) and I don't know of an AGM battery made in that size. Your best bet in this case might be a second battery.

·
Registered
503 Posts
You can also get a device (forget the name) that goes on the battery.
It will save the battery from discharge below low voltage.
like this PriorityStart - Stop Dead Batteries on Cars & Boats [Priority Start! Battery Protector]

Be carefull putting a high amp battery in some cars.
like everything else they design the starter for a specific job and load.
If the engine is hard to turn over with an over size battery you could do damage.
I have seen them wring the head off a starter.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Second battery is all well and good, and have done it in the past.. but really have a stealth install going on.

Stealth install...don't you have a sub in the dash and some kind of carputer?

:p Haha, I'm just messing with you.

A few of these cold mornings my car has kind of struggled to turn over. Never failed, but have thought about getting one of those Die Hard Plat batteries.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stealth install...don't you have a sub in the dash and some kind of carputer?

:p Haha, I'm just messing with you.

A few of these cold mornings my car has kind of struggled to turn over. Never failed, but have thought about getting one of those Die Hard Plat batteries.
:laugh:

Tru... but my dash sub is a mono color with the rest of the dash. If you know what you're looking for you can see the sub clear as day. The carPC is removable and lives in the glove box most of the time when the car is parked.

May be able to do a 2nd battery.. but really didn't want to go that route. The stock battery is a bit small to start with. Only about 550cca. Fine for the car, but if I start listening to the system at concert levels with the car off I'm just asking for it.

Maybe a volt meter would be a cheaper investment.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I wish I could've gotten 1.5hrs of listening with the stock system. I'm sure it's not an option but moving to the class D amps made a significant difference in time before the battery died. Personally I can't wait to dump my Optima for a Diehard Platinum.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess just upgrading to a better battery in 40R will foot the bill. Those battery saver things are neat, except they cut off the power at 11.7v. I'm sure my classAB amps will yank the battery below that pretty quick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wish I could've gotten 1.5hrs of listening with the stock system. I'm sure it's not an option but moving to the class D amps made a significant difference in time before the battery died. Personally I can't wait to dump my Optima for a Diehard Platinum.
Don't like your Optima? Which one do you have?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have owned a couple red tops, and one yellow top in the past. They are junk.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I used to defend Optima but now I agree, they are crap. I've had mine for 2 years and now it's dead. Looking to buy a battery in the next week... Any suggestions for a good price? I don't want to spend what I spent on the Yellow top.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you got 2 years out of the stock battery you did good, my JL 500/5 ate my stock battery in about 2 weeks, hard not to listen while I was installing sound deadener. Lol. I guess I got one of the good yellow tops because it's been going strong since 2006. Diehard Platinum would be my first choice, Oddesey makes more sizes of stuff but the price goes up a lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts