Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 BMW 330Ci Convertible

- OEM BMW are constructed to resist damage from vibrations
-- 80aH / 640cca
-- 13L x 7W x 7-1/2H
-- top terminals
-- $160 or so, but that's not the most important thing, although I won't spend $300 either

I live in Florida, so the heat takes its toll on our batteries.

My system is simple:
MS-8 pushing two tweeters
Arc Audio XDi805 5-channel amp (full-range class D, ~800 watts maybe) pushing the rest

(I don't sit with my car parked and listen to the stereo; I only use it while I'm driving the car. If I do have someone audition it, I start the car, but this is rare...I'm the only one my age who gives a ****! Lol)

Should I just go with the BMW direct replacement or look for something better (if I can find it)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
Check out Walmarts offerings. They are pretty robust and dont cost a arm and leg. Most will have better specs than you factory battery also. I replaced the batt and my G8 for less than $100 a few months ago with one with better all around specs.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good enough for me! DieHard Platinum it is! Hopefully they have the right size.

Thanks guys!

(see Greg, I was trying not to bug you! Lol)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ref the alternator, the convertible comes with a beefier alternator, plus I'm using a class-d amp that is really efficient. No need.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Ref the alternator, the convertible comes with a beefier alternator, plus I'm using a class-d amp that is really efficient. No need.

X2 on that. until you have dead battery issues on a regular basis due to over working the charging system. the stock will work.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed...I forget, it's either 120v or 140v.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have run Optimas for 10 years. They work great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone have any suggestions what/where to get dual post batteries? I'm working with a car that has very rigid covers over both positive and negative terminals that make it difficult and dangerous to add new wires. The positive post needs to be on the top surface, in the far left corner. I can't really tear apart all the stock wiring since it's not my car and my friend doesn't want to pay for more than a battery.

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone have any suggestions what/where to get dual post batteries? I'm working with a car that has very rigid covers over both positive and negative terminals that make it difficult and dangerous to add new wires. The positive post needs to be on the top surface, in the far left corner. I can't really tear apart all the stock wiring since it's not my car and my friend doesn't want to pay for more than a battery.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Some of the sears platinums I saw had the double-posts. $220. AGM. but hurry, see my latest post.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Darrin for sure the diehard platinum!
Went to get the DieHard Platinum yesterday after work. Went to work, then docs, then to sears to see if they could get me one in a 94R, or physically measure one up against a 94R to see what would fit, 34/35 like you suggested.

Here's the deal, the Platinum is BEING PHASED OUT. Probably lost their ass on the warranty. They have replaced it with the DieHard Gold "Plus". It's an AGM battery, serious power and reserve capacity, etc.
Basically THE SAME THING AS THE PLATINUM, except it comes in more sizes, has a 3-year straight replace/ 3-year pro-rated warranty, and it's about $40 cheaper to make up for the smaller warranty.

Worked for me! Bought it, had them throw it in the trunk so I could swap it out myself this morning (I am off today).

Stopped at Walmart on my way from sears to get coffee, etc. Came out, got in the car, and the [email protected] battery wouldn't start the car! Luckily my car comes with a toolkit, so there I was, in the WalMart parking lot, in the dark, swapping out my battery in my trunk! Lol. How embarrassing! (Started right up though!)

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
are they gonna change the current gold series? because the gold series listed on thier website is not AGM

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, I don't think so, hence the "Plus" at the end. The Gold is just a normal lead acid batt, and will prob be the flagship lead version. Those are like $129 with the 3/3 warranty. Still not bad.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
ah ok. so they will keep the "platinum" label until they phase it out and then re-label em, lol. think I will wait till the gold+ come out. $40 less sounds good to me.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CORRECTION to my earlier post though...
I said it was the Gold Plus, which is what it said on his computer screen, but the battery itself says "ADVANCED GOLD". ?

The Gold Plus (Advanced Gold, see below) series are available now; my sears had both the new Gold in the back and the leftover Platinums on the shelves, but had to get me the 94R in the Gold from the back...couldn't sell me a Platinum cause they don't carry it in my size.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts