DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to keep this as simple as possible so here we go...

I have a 2015 Silverado LT 2500HD.

I just bought a Iraggi HO Alternator 320Amps

I have a 4000 Watt RMS Memphis Amp (Running it at 2000 Watts @ 2ohm)

I have a 1000 Watt RMS Memphis Amp (Running it at 1000 Watts @1ohm)

That's 3000 Watts RMS = Total

I have a stock battery in my truck.

Do I need to upgrade the Battery? If so what size would be good? Do I need multiple batteries?

I've read and read about this... from what I gather, Just upgrading my SINGLE battery would be fine. (b/c I have such a nice 320A HO Alternator). Please if someone could chime in ... I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I want to keep this as simple as possible so here we go...

I have a 2015 Silverado LT 2500HD.

I just bought a Iraggi HO Alternator 320Amps

I have a 4000 Watt RMS Memphis Amp (Running it at 2000 Watts @ 2ohm)

I have a 1000 Watt RMS Memphis Amp (Running it at 1000 Watts @1ohm)

That's 3000 Watts RMS = Total

I have a stock battery in my truck.

Do I need to upgrade the Battery? If so what size would be good? Do I need multiple batteries?

I've read and read about this... from what I gather, Just upgrading my SINGLE battery would be fine. (b/c I have such a nice 320A HO Alternator). Please if someone could chime in ... I'd appreciate it.
Got any light dimming?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have it hooked up at all right now. I have a small system in my truck (1100 watts) right now. I'm waiting for my custom subwoofer enclosure to arrive to finish my work. My first step would be to disconnect the big three... add the new 320 Amp Alternator (I have it)... reconnect the big three. But I'm worried that I will need a larger battery than stock. And it seems that noone knows the answer.. (I've been on 5 websites trying to find my answer) . Do I need to replace my stock battery or do I need 2 batteries etc?. My hopes are that I can just use one battery.. the stock one or an upgraded one. ( I have room for a second battery, but would rather not use one if not needed). If I do need to upgrade the battery, what size do I need for a 3000W system ?

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
OEM battery is a group 94r. I have a 16 1500. I have a northstar 94r in stock location. But for you I'd so add a secondary battery. Something like a northstar 34 or xs power d3400

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OEM battery is a group 94r. I have a 16 1500. I have a northstar 94r in stock location. But for you I'd so add a secondary battery. Something like a northstar 34 or xs power d3400
I've been eyeing the xs power d3400 BUT why make it a second battery rather than just using it as my primary? I've been researching this a lot and multiple battery manufactures mentioned that if you run two batteries, they need to be the same brand/model.. and even purchased together so that they are manufactured nearly in the same lot. I don't know how much truth there is to that...

Alos, side note.. I have a Stinger SPV44 battery sitting at my house... would it suffice as a second battery? I think its too small..

AND p.s. Thank you for chatting about this with me

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
They dont need to be tje same brand or model as long as they're both agm. If you want to believe that then grab 2 northstar 94r batteries

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
it is wise to get two identical batteryes to avoid some discharging issues.
My vote is to go with the strongest battery you can buy/install.... I had really good results with Northstar NSB90 back in the day, and for my next battery purchace I would probably look at Northstar again. ATM Im using Oddyssey 1750 and have a bit mixed impressions about it.

·
Listener of Music
2,755 Posts
Just replace your main battery with an agm. I have never used a high output alt. I have had mine repacked to put max voltage at lower rpms (best compromise)in my last Silverado. I never noticed if it helped. Swapping the battery did. Secondly living in plow country I can tell you that guys use different two battery setups all the time. However simple battery science does tell you that they should be at the same line expectancy point.

P.S. I have had gigawatt systems back in my spl days with no HO alt's and only upgraded batteries. My 2000 Silverado used about 3000 peak and I never even had light dimming. I believed that had a 180amp alt and stock agm replacement.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Just replace your main battery with an agm. I have never used a high output alt. I have had mine repacked to put max voltage at lower rpms (best compromise)in my last Silverado. I never noticed if it helped. Swapping the battery did. Secondly living in plow country I can tell you that guys use different two battery setups all the time. However simple battery science does tell you that they should be at the same line expectancy point.

P.S. I have had gigawatt systems back in my spl days with no HO alt's and only upgraded batteries. My 2000 Silverado used about 3000 peak and I never even had light dimming. I believed that had a 180amp alt and stock agm replacement.
99-04 silverado was better for adding audio as the alternator wasnt pcm controlled. 05 and up ate which makes it do you sort of need an ho alt

·
Listener of Music
2,755 Posts
99-04 silverado was better for adding audio as the alternator wasnt pcm controlled. 05 and up ate which makes it do you sort of need an ho alt

Maybe I need schooling. My wife drives a 15 Silverado. Not upgraded yet. However I thought the PCM controlled charging systems made it pointless. I thought they limited the charging output of the alt therefore the only place to get "extra" was from a battery.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Maybe I need schooling. My wife drives a 15 Silverado. Not upgraded yet. However I thought the PCM controlled charging systems made it pointless. I thought they limited the charging output of the alt therefore the only place to get "extra" was from a battery.
They are limited is voltage. The voltage drops when the trucks doesn't need it. But a ho alt will charge at higher amperage. I have a 16

·
Listener of Music
2,755 Posts
I'm just saying that no matter the reserve in the battery the alt us going to charge at the rate set by the PCM. If you deplete it the alt isn't giving it back any faster.

So simply bypassing the PCM isn't an option with these trucks? I know with some cars you can and others throw sel and act a fool.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Yes but again an ho althas more amperage. OEM is about 100 amps at idle. My new alr is 180 at idle. I dont care about the voltage

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'm just saying that no matter the reserve in the battery the alt us going to charge at the rate set by the PCM. If you deplete it the alt isn't giving it back any faster.

So simply bypassing the PCM isn't an option with these trucks? I know with some cars you can and others throw sel and act a fool.
This is what I thought as well. Certainly, I think a battery will help, but my understanding was until you address the PCM, you are wasting time upgrading the alt. The PCM is going to regulate back anything the upgraded ALT, multiple Alts, or electrical upgrades you are trying to do. I believe there were others companies that did this including Alt companies, but years back the missing link modules were common. Basically the module takes the control away from the PCM.

https://www.missinglinkaudio.com/id24.html

·
Listener of Music
2,755 Posts
Yes but again an ho althas more amperage. OEM is about 100 amps at idle. My new alr is 180 at idle. I dont care about the voltage

I'm actual suprised it's that much at idle. My alt rebuilder got about 145 at 800 rpms and it maxed out at like 1400rpms. Never went below 15.5. But he's retired now. He was 91 when he remaned my last one about 5 years ago. I learned a lot from him because he invented the modern tractor alt. He had a full shop that could build aircraft alts from scratch.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Let's talk about some basics here. Alternators generator power, but they don't store it. Batteries store power but don't generate it.

So the battery has 2 main functions in a car audio system. It provides power when the engine is off. When the engine is running, the batt provides a power reserve/buffer when the draw exceeds the alt's capacity or the alt can't react fast enough.

W/ your wattage, u'll be drawing about 300A at full power. Since the alt is rated for 320A, the draw will not exceed the alt's capacity except in rare situations (idling for a long time, running wipers and headlights, or maybe blasting the AC) w/ the system cranked. Just don't run your system hard for more than a few minutes during those times and u'll be fine w/ 1 battery. Even a relatively small drop in volume will significantly reduce power draw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Let's talk about some basics here. Alternators generator power, but they don't store it. Batteries store power but don't generate it.

So the battery has 2 main functions in a car audio system. It provides power when the engine is off. When the engine is running, the batt provides a power reserve/buffer when the draw exceeds the alt's capacity or the alt can't react fast enough.

W/ your wattage, u'll be drawing about 300A at full power. Since the alt is rated for 320A, the draw will not exceed the alt's capacity except in rare situations (idling for a long time, running wipers and headlights, or maybe blasting the AC) w/ the system cranked. Just don't run your system hard for more than a few minutes during those times and u'll be fine w/ 1 battery. Even a relatively small drop in volume will significantly reduce power draw.
This is my thoughts exactly... but my question now is What size of battery do I get?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts