DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, a bad product inspired this review…..

The products in question are “Knukonceptz” KonFused Battery Terminals, Item number KBT-30N.

What originally attracted my attention was the stated 3, 1/0 AWG wire inputs along with the ability to house a smaller AWG size as well. However, the fittings not only screw non uniformly into their housing, but actually bent under wrenching pressure! Additionally, the fittings don’t hold the wire well at all and are a potential risk should a ground fall out!!!

I’m going to stop their to avoid winding myself, but if you do attempt using this product after reading this, you’re a fool.

However, if you go and purchase the JL Audio XB-BTU (P/N #91659) Battery Terminal, you’re a champ.

Talk about a step up, this thing is a beast and comes with every adapter in the books. More importantly, the unit fits 3, 1/0 AWG inputs with ease and securely while also allowing a ring terminal option!

I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves…….

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, and the link to the JL Terminals in the first post are the cheapest I have EVER seen them for, hence my purchase

·
Registered
446 Posts
streetwires dual ring terminals for the win. simple sleek silver look.

cheap. on partsexpress and hold up to 6 ring terminals each. 3 per screw

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
I'm not a big fan of multi way fused or non fuse post terminals like those. Putting an expensive piece at the source of where the battery acid comes from can lead to problems.

I like to follow the OEM style of using a terminal and a thick cable run from the post to a distribution block/fuse box away from the battery. You can then use a heavy duty terminal that has a protective coating that doesn't let battery acid corrode it.

You also don't have to worry about taking your car in for service one day and the mechanic not being able to put the terminals back on properly because of their design complexity.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not a big fan of multi way fused or non fuse post terminals like those. Putting an expensive piece at the source of where the battery acid comes from can lead to problems.

I like to follow the OEM style of using a terminal and a thick cable run from the post to a distribution block/fuse box away from the battery. You can then use a heavy duty terminal that has a protective coating that doesn't let battery acid corrode it.

You also don't have to worry about taking your car in for service one day and the mechanic not being able to put the terminals back on properly because of their design complexity.
Point taken, in fact, 2 of the power runs are to d blocks. On the other hand, what if you have a sealed battery :p ? No acid...

And if my mechanic couldn't understand the complexity involved with removing and returning my battery terminal, he shouldn't ever be allowed to touch my car...lol

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
These seemed to work well: Parts Express:p3 Platinum Negative (-) Battery Terminal Block. Only a single 1/0, couple 8s, and a 4/0 ga., but they hold securely and are a bit less expensive than some. However DO NOT get the positive terminal counterpart to this as the hole seems to be too big even w/ the clamp tightened all the way for some batteries. Just get two negatives.
I've used these before, and the "0awg" output isn't a true 0awg output, or the 0awg I'm using is larger than 0awg, which I doubt. I couldn't fit the entire wire in there without stray strands getting bunched up and not fitting in. Also IIRC I had problems with the clamping force around the battery terminal, it would slide right off with little effort, ask me how I know!!!

I'd opt for this one, then grab a set of these and be done with it.

I know the terminal I'm using doesn't have as many options as others (only allows 1 0awg wire w/ the use of a ring terminal) but that is fine with me. Plus they're dirt cheap compared to others, and I've had them for about two years now with zero issues.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've used these before, and the "0awg" output isn't a true 0awg output, or the 0awg I'm using is larger than 0awg, which I doubt. I couldn't fit the entire wire in there without stray strands getting bunched up and not fitting in. Also IIRC I had problems with the clamping force around the battery terminal, it would slide right off with little effort, ask me how I know!!!

I'd opt for this one, then grab a set of these and be done with it.

I know the terminal I'm using doesn't have as many options as others (only allows 1 0awg wire w/ the use of a ring terminal) but that is fine with me. Plus they're dirt cheap compared to others, and I've had them for about two years now with zero issues.
Hmmm, but between the terminal and a pair of the 1/0 terminals, your ~$10 bucks away from the JL....

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Point taken, in fact, 2 of the power runs are to d blocks. On the other hand, what if you have a sealed battery :p ? No acid...

And if my mechanic couldn't understand the complexity involved with removing and returning my battery terminal, he shouldn't ever be allowed to touch my car...lol
Ever seen a sealed battery's post leak acid gas from imperceivable damage caused by a careless mechanics rough housing. ;)

By the way, not trying to be argumentative, just showing some things that could possibly happen. :)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Hmmm, but between the terminal and a pair of the 1/0 terminals, your ~$10 bucks away from the JL....

The ring terminals come in pairs, it's 9.85 for a pair ;)

Even with two battery terminals and the pair of rings, it's still less than HALF of one JL. I'm sure the JL is quality, but I can't justify 120 bucks on a pair of battery terminals, when my set for less than 40 works just fine :)

Granted, if you need more than 1 0awg input/output then I can understand your need for the JL terminals, but since I don't, I'm content with what I have.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize they were only 35 each, good deal there!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah the JL terminals look nice but even at the discounted sonix electronix price its $70 for both terminals before shipping. I cant justify spending that much on battery terminals. Too bad the KnuKonceptz ones are junk.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I've got the Knu terminals, and once you get them on the right posts they are great...you must have squeezed the piss out of those rings to bend them like that, I had no problems with mine.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Agreed, there is a price dilemma regarding the JLs. That is soley why I waited until now for purchase utilizing the sale price.

But for a vehicle like mine, that sees rocking, bumping, and traversing of roads not even normally used, fitment is critical, and the JL's price reflects the dozen plus or so adapters that come with each terminal to ensure fitment.

That along with the need to power a winch, lighting, normal OEM wiring, and a stereo, calls for a terminal that can not only actually fit 1/0 awg, but also without jacket interference from 3, 1/0 inputs. While some may say simply run a line to a d-block, can you imagine the load from the 1/0 to the d-block, engine running, lights on, and a winch at an 8,000 pd load? Plus, I already have 2 d-blocks, there is only sooo much room (I can't even fit quick disconnects for the winch).

So, its really a price to performance ratio...Once again, you get what you pay for, and in the case of the JL, its not a bust product....You won't have buyers remorse.

Ever seen a sealed battery's post leak acid gas from imperceivable damage caused by a careless mechanics rough housing. ;)

By the way, not trying to be argumentative, just showing some things that could possibly happen. :)
I have not ever seen that nor want too :eek: !

I too wasn't being argumentative, and knew you weren't as well.

I actually like the idea of making this thread a discussion anyways with scenarios and answers for anybody needing/wanting a battery terminal.

You know, while I wanted to illusrtate the lack of quality regarding knukoncepts, I too wanted to show how the JL terminals worked so well for me.

Had I been installing into a sedan or smaller coupe, theres obviously no need for such a culmalative option as the JL, and thus, I would be more inclined to use other suggestions as mentioned.

Price too was obviously a concern to me as well, I did buy the cheap alternative with the knukonceptz first right. So not only did I get burned, but I too waited patiently for the best option for me to go on sale.

bass_lover1 said:
The ring terminals come in pairs, it's 9.85 for a pair

My bad, I misread.

·
Registered
59 Posts
One question I have is did you ever contact Knu Konceptz about your problems with these terminals. From what I hear they have pretty good customer service.

·
Registered
404 Posts
QUOTE]

Yeah seems like several people have had trouble w/ the Positive+ version of this clamp being too loose. Hence the cue to use only the Negative version as the design is identical except for the proper sized terminal clamping. I never did use 0awg, but did use the hole for two 4 ga to complete Big 3. Worked well for me to help organize and if acid eats it over time at less than $5 a piece I'll replace 'em.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts