DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Battery Terminals: The Best versus The Worst

51K views 51 replies 26 participants last post by  bbfoto 
#1 ·
Unfortunately, a bad product inspired this review…..

The products in question are “Knukonceptz” KonFused Battery Terminals, Item number KBT-30N.

What originally attracted my attention was the stated 3, 1/0 AWG wire inputs along with the ability to house a smaller AWG size as well. However, the fittings not only screw non uniformly into their housing, but actually bent under wrenching pressure! Additionally, the fittings don’t hold the wire well at all and are a potential risk should a ground fall out!!!

I’m going to stop their to avoid winding myself, but if you do attempt using this product after reading this, you’re a fool.

However, if you go and purchase the JL Audio XB-BTU (P/N #91659) Battery Terminal, you’re a champ.

Talk about a step up, this thing is a beast and comes with every adapter in the books. More importantly, the unit fits 3, 1/0 AWG inputs with ease and securely while also allowing a ring terminal option!

I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves…….

See less See more
#11 ·
I've used these before, and the "0awg" output isn't a true 0awg output, or the 0awg I'm using is larger than 0awg, which I doubt. I couldn't fit the entire wire in there without stray strands getting bunched up and not fitting in. Also IIRC I had problems with the clamping force around the battery terminal, it would slide right off with little effort, ask me how I know!!!

I'd opt for this one, then grab a set of these and be done with it.

I know the terminal I'm using doesn't have as many options as others (only allows 1 0awg wire w/ the use of a ring terminal) but that is fine with me. Plus they're dirt cheap compared to others, and I've had them for about two years now with zero issues.

#9 ·
I'm not a big fan of multi way fused or non fuse post terminals like those. Putting an expensive piece at the source of where the battery acid comes from can lead to problems.

I like to follow the OEM style of using a terminal and a thick cable run from the post to a distribution block/fuse box away from the battery. You can then use a heavy duty terminal that has a protective coating that doesn't let battery acid corrode it.

You also don't have to worry about taking your car in for service one day and the mechanic not being able to put the terminals back on properly because of their design complexity.

#10 ·
Point taken, in fact, 2 of the power runs are to d blocks. On the other hand, what if you have a sealed battery :p ? No acid...

And if my mechanic couldn't understand the complexity involved with removing and returning my battery terminal, he shouldn't ever be allowed to touch my car...lol

#21 ·
I had an eerie feeling this thread was gonna be about MY terminals. Looks like I'll be poppin' the hood tomorrow:rolleyes:.

#36 ·
This one was impressive in use: Phoenix Gold fused battery terminal, came w/ my AKIT1 1/0 gauge wire kit.

I'll remove this if you don't want this post to include different terminals besides the JL and the Knu ones, but IMO this one is pretty damn amazing. I forgot to take a pic of the undercarriage of this thing, which holds the large set-screws that grabs the wire. For connections, there is non-fused 1/0 gauge output, a fused 1/0 gauge output, and a fused 8 gauge output. It also has a ring terminal output on the top, and the ability to parallel two main fuses on the body of the terminal. It tightens down on the battery post w/ two allen screws on the front of the terminal, which grabs ferociously. Overall, very nice.

#43 ·
I just ordered this kit. For $60 with free shipping on ebay I just couldn't pass it up. Does anyone know if this terminal can be purchased seperately or if PG makes a matching negative terminal? It'd be nice to have a matching one on the other side of the battery.

#37 ·
these are what i use and they work out awesome side posts and i was able to secure 2 1/0 ground terminals no issue they big heavy copper welding lugs, and 3 1/0 gauge for power and probably need to add a regular lug on the power and maybe a longer screw. best and easiest terminal to work with and came out very clean and does not add height to the battery.

#39 ·
I have the DEI Essentials ones with the LCD digital readout. It was great when i first put it on about 3 years ago. But as time progressed, the elements have caused some corrosion. The other problem i have is that they're so big, it's hard to jump start cars with them on. Those JL look great, but that's alittle too much to spend.

#42 ·
So i originally had a set of the knu battery terminals, which worked fine. They fit my battery, held the wires securely..ect. I bought a die hard plat. battery last week and of course the stupid terminals didn't fit over the posts. I noticed that sonic electronix had these JL terminals on sale for $35 a piece so I picked up a set. I must say, these are VERY VERY nice. I mean how nice can battery terminals get? Seriously, for $35 a piece they are a steal. Very well built, all of the connections are solid, it fits the battery posts, and it comes with a crap load of accessories that are actually useful. Just thought I would share my findings on going from Knu's to the JL's...

#45 ·
I know they aren't the purty bling many people look for but if you want the best most versatile terminal the simple military one is the best choice for our application IMO.
I have hooked 2 runs of 1/0g, the starter 2g and half a dozen other ring terminals to one of these and had plenty of room for more.
Since a pair is under $10 and there are no cheesy connections to come loose there is no other option for me.
http://checkenginesite.com/parts/00...minal_1_Set_Positive_and_Negative_per_Package

Sr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.