DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
So my factory battery is finally (after 5 years) beginning to die. I leave my car in the garage during the weekend as the wife's car is more comfortable for driving around town. Every Monday morning my car struggles just a bit more to start, one of these days it will not. So I have decided that it is time for a new battery, the problem is that I know nothing about batteries. My car is running three amplifiers and it has not had any problems with the stock battery, but like with everything there are batteries and then there are batteries. What kind of batteries are you guys using for your setups? The batteries I have seen and I am considering range from $89 to $299. As you can see I am all over the place and I need some guidance.

There is a BatteriesPlus near my house and they guy there suggested the Enersys Oddyssey or the AGP something. He basically downplayed all other batteries he carries. I have also read a bit about Yellowtops here on the forum leaving me with mixed feelings about them.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
783 Posts
X2^^^^^^

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
x4 on the Diehard, but ONLY as regards the Platinum. Bummer for both of us- they were on sale about a week ago, and I need 2 group49's :(

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Either Yellowtop Optima if money is no objection, or the cheapest store brand battery you can find (Walmart, AAP, etc). The store brand batteries are pretty much all made by the same supplier.

·
Registered
427 Posts
What's the consensus on DieHard Platinum versus "boutique" batteries like the Odyssey and Kinetic? I've only run Optima Red Tops and a few Odysseys thus far (beyond the standard batteries). I was very pleased with a single Odyssey on a rather large system - but they aren't cheap at all...

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'd heard good things about the Diehard platinum, so I looked for my application ... All the side terminal models are DUAL terminal :( I'm too picky to run a "will fit" battery in my rides :( AND then the reviews say there have been problem with the side posts !

So for me a Walmart battery and call it a day every few years I guess !

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
As I understand it, the Diehard Platinum are made by the parent company for Odessey. The Diehard Gold comes off the same line as NAPA, Costco, Dura, interstate and others. (Johnson Controls). The JCI factory manager stated "if it's the same case and the same CCA/AH rating, it's the same inside. I suppose he should know :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Good info! I'll look for a deal on a DieHard Platinum and see if I can kill it :) I'm selling the (less than 1yr old) Odyssey with my old Tacoma - so I'll need something for the new 4Runner system once it arrives at the Toyota dealer...

Rock on! :cool:

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Interesting. I think the Sears Die Hard Platinum is a rebranded Enersys Oddyssey.

It's true... but then again, most batteries are...

·
Registered
696 Posts
C & d is an excellent choice, agm technology at half the cost. A lot of these more expensive batts are just rebranded. Wasn't impressed with yt.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 25 Posts