DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all....I've been out of the game for quite a while now. I just bought a 2018 Jeep Wrangler and am looking to upgrade the sound. I've been doing research, but am confused. I know wranglers aren't know for good sound, so I'm not going to try....I just want BETTER sound than stock...What's some good mid-priced speakers for an upgrade? I have 5.25 components for the knee panels and 6.5's in the roll bar. I would like to change out the head unit for an android type with a good signal. I will be running some old equipment for the amps...Xtant M404 for the interiors and a Focal FDX 1.1000 for the sub. I have to research the sub still, but I at least I have a wattage starting point! Thanks in advance....

Oh..When I was in the game last, Alpine, JL, MTX, Hifonix and Focal were king lol

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
If you're going to swap the head unit anyway, just do that first. A lot of times simply sending the speakers a better signal helps make a significant improvement, even with the OEM speakers. A decent head unit will have a clean signal, and some good tuning tools (depending on what you buy), usually that's enough to make the system sound much better.

·
Registered
663 Posts
You mentioned an "Android type" head-unit. Just be careful. Most of those Chinese full Android head-units are pretty crappy in terms of sound quality. I tried two different units (an Eonon and a Hizpo) and they both had pretty severe audio issues (interference noises from wifi, poor screen quality, etc). Definitely not up to par with the well-known head-unit brands like Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.... External amps don't help either as the issues are even before the signal gets to the amp.

The functionality is pretty cool (but wears off quickly, to be honest), but so far, they are just not up to par in terms of sound quality - at least the ones I tried...

·
Registered
60 Posts
You mentioned an "Android type" head-unit. Just be careful. Most of those Chinese full Android head-units are pretty crappy in terms of sound quality. I tried two different units (an Eonon and a Hizpo) and they both had pretty severe audio issues (interference noises from wifi, poor screen quality, etc). Definitely not up to par with the well-known head-unit brands like Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.... External amps don't help either as the issues are even before the signal gets to the amp.

The functionality is pretty cool (but wears off quickly, to be honest), but so far, they are just not up to par in terms of sound quality - at least the ones I tried...

I 100% agree with this statement.

I tested 3 eonon units (2 different models) and the signal was just poor. I have JL amps, but the signal was so poor that it couldn’t get any decent volume. I did enjoy the functionality, but ultimately went back to my 10 year old pioneer deck and bumping hard again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback...I don't have 'budget' per say, but I don't want to break the bank either. I am going to spend the money on tried and true components....I just would like some help and point me in the right direction. The only thing I truly care about in a head unit is being able to waze as an app....

as for speakers....same deal...something decent, but I don't want to spend thousands on it....just a finger pointing me in the right direction...

maybe some links to get me going....

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Thanks for the feedback...I don't have 'budget' per say, but I don't want to break the bank either. I am going to spend the money on tried and true components....I just would like some help and point me in the right direction. The only thing I truly care about in a head unit is being able to waze as an app....

as for speakers....same deal...something decent, but I don't want to spend thousands on it....just a finger pointing me in the right direction...

maybe some links to get me going....

Thanks!
Start shopping for a head unit from Kenwood or Pioneer. Both have plenty of options with CarPlay so that you can run Waze.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd take a look at the JL Audio C3-525 and JL Audio C3-650. Or the Focal PC-150 and Focal PS-165FX. I currently have the C3's in my run around truck. They are powered off of a Kenwood DMX7706S head unit. And they have no problem keeping up with a JL Audio 10W6v2 powered by a JL Audio XD600/1.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I heard there is a pretty nice lightly used set of Audiofrog 6.5” components on EBay for around $400 that would be pretty bad ass. I think the GS series, not GB.. These were my first true components and boy did they impress!

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
I wouldn't even both shopping for speakers until you get the head unit sorted. Maybe make a wish list, but replace the head unit first, you'll notice a big difference after spending just a few minutes setting it up.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Hey all....I've been out of the game for quite a while now. I just bought a 2018 Jeep Wrangler and am looking to upgrade the sound. I've been doing research, but am confused. I know wranglers aren't know for good sound, so I'm not going to try....I just want BETTER sound than stock...What's some good mid-priced speakers for an upgrade? I have 5.25 components for the knee panels and 6.5's in the roll bar. I would like to change out the head unit for an android type with a good signal. I will be running some old equipment for the amps...Xtant M404 for the interiors and a Focal FDX 1.1000 for the sub. I have to research the sub still, but I at least I have a wattage starting point! Thanks in advance....

Oh..When I was in the game last, Alpine, JL, MTX, Hifonix and Focal were king lol
You should come to the great get together in Taunton on November 10th and check out all of the cars there to get some good ideas.
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/12-volt-events-team-diyma/422829-2019-north-east-sound-quality-gtg.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts