DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
The FLAC issue isn't a problem, there are plenty of good file formats, and storage is cheap. The Android may be a deal breaker for you.

Are you stuck with a single din head unit? There are some great double dins with strong enough DSPs so that you don't have to buy the AF crossovers. You can run active with many Kenwood and Pioneer head double dins, have Android Auto, and FLAC. The DSP is a tad limited, but it'll do everything the AF crossovers do and more.
Single din only, unless you want to cut a massive hole in your dash

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ok so it looks like the 80PRS has no Android support and doesn't play FLAC files. Otherwise it's crazy good tech.
Correct, can't play music via USB connection but via BT you can do everything including calls.
USB will charge the phone though

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes unfortunately the S2000 has just a single din slot. The AF crossovers have been purchased already.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Yes unfortunately the S2000 has just a single din slot. The AF crossovers have been purchased already.
There are several new head units with a single din mounting, but with a double din screen. I don't know if that will work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The S2000 has a lid where the stereo area is, it sits right behind the shift knob well below peripheral vision. I'll need to keep the stereo interface simple for practical reasons.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
The S2000 has a lid where the stereo area is, it sits right behind the shift knob well below peripheral vision. I'll need to keep the stereo interface simple for practical reasons.
Ok. How important is Android capatiblity, do you want to be able to plug in with USB, or stream via bluetooth?

Modern bluetooth is pretty good for sound quality. The Pioneer 80PRS is great, but it doesn't support android through USB, and you are using passive crossovers, so it's not the right stereo for your needs. Go to Crutchfield and filter based on your needs, and check out the options. One of these would work well:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
@gijoe thanks for taking the time to recommend HUs. Your a gentleman and a scholar.

Android compatability is important because I only have Android devices, I'm just not cool enough for Apple ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have an S2000 and was looking into upgrading to Android Auto as well. As far as I know, the Sony XAV-AX100, AX210, AX5000, and AX7000 will fit in the single DIN slot in the S2000, but you do have to remove the radio door (and a slight amount of cutting there as well).

There is a solution being worked on in the aftermarket to make a LHD navigation bezel to fit an 8" Android tablet, but it's still in design phase and will definitely require cutting the dash.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'm really not confident enough to do all that cutting myself as I don't have a background in anything that requires handy work lol. I think I may have to get a portable hi res for my source solution instead of insisting on my phone. I could even possibly get better audio out of it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I've now received the Arc 1100.5 amp and the AF components with crossover. So I have 4 channels for the mid range and tweeters and 1 sub channel.

The 4 channels run at 4ohms and the components are 4ohms. How do I use the crossover if I'm wanting to match impendence? I've read that if I bridge the amp into the crossover, I'll have 2ohms, this will mean I will have to be wary of the volume limit. If I choose not to bridge and run 4ohms to the crossover, I'll only be using 2 channels and thus have 2 wasted channels. Option 3 would be to go active and just stomach the fact that I bought crossovers that won't be used.

What should I do?

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you are still planning to use the GB615C crossover the technical details tab states it equals 4 Ohms. It looks like when you connect the GB60 and GB15 to this crossover (this crossover was meant for those specific speakers), that the amplifier will see the crossover with those speakers attached and it will = 4 Ohms total for both midbass and tweeter.

The AF technical details tab also states it recommends an amplifier powering these speakers with a 20 Watt - 100 Watt RMS output. That means you don't need to bridge the channels on the XDi. Maybe someone here will recommend you do bridge the connection from their own personal experience on these speakers. But it wouldn't be necessary because you are going to get 150 Watts to each channel (Page 9).

I wouldn't view it as a waste if you don't bridge. Maybe one day you'll want to go fully active to try and see what that's about. This amplifier will allow you to test and grow into that depending on your interest level. Also wouldn't view it as a waste because you don't want to deal with not having enough amplifier power either.

Aside from setting simple basic digital crossovers in the stereo (which the physical crossovers you bought will dummy proof for you so you don't make a major mistake) - Going active and tuning is a very lengthy tedious frustration and education. You'll have to get a measurement mic and take on a whole other new deal of learning (like in the audiofrog tuning guide). Unless you're bored, feeling adventurous and excited about the idea, you can always ease into that in the future.

For now you can just get up and running by simply installing what you have and see if that is enough. I didn't see which stereo you picked or if you also bought a dedicated DSP.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I've now received the Arc 1100.5 amp and the AF components with crossover. So I have 4 channels for the mid range and tweeters and 1 sub channel.

The 4 channels run at 4ohms and the components are 4ohms. How do I use the crossover if I'm wanting to match impendence? I've read that if I bridge the amp into the crossover, I'll have 2ohms, this will mean I will have to be wary of the volume limit. If I choose not to bridge and run 4ohms to the crossover, I'll only be using 2 channels and thus have 2 wasted channels. Option 3 would be to go active and just stomach the fact that I bought crossovers that won't be used.

What should I do?
Did you decide on a head unit? Going active doesn't have to be as challenging as people think, it can be, but doesn't have to be. You did spend a decent amount on the crossovers, and they are pretty good crossovers, so I'd run with them for now, and if you every decide to go active it won't be a big deal.

I would recommend bridging the amp, but honestly, it won't make much difference if you do, or don't. I would because the extra power is a good thing, and you have the channels, so why not?

·
Registered
260 Posts
This also seems like a good 4 page thread about the same speakers and if they should get 200 Watts

edit or that thread may potentially confuse the matter further lol. Long story short, 150 watt RMS to each crossover is a great start, you will be meeting the recommended 100W RMS with a little extra.

I have always matched the amp wattage to be a little higher than the max wattage recommendation of the speakers. But I've never experimented matching the speakers with double or more the wattage by bridging the amp channels (because I've never needed to) but I've read plenty folks have.

Now I'm conjecturing ...... but wouldn't getting too much power on reserve potentially introduce a more noticeable noise floor, especially in the tweeters with hiss?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Due to what's going on around the world, I can't get a hold of anyone at audio shop on my side of the world (5 hour flight). I've been looking at the specs of this Alpine cde-163bt unit. I think this may be the one. There's not a whole lot of selection due to FM tuner compatibility and my "local" shop's stock range. However, if there is a significantly better HU at a reasonable price, it may be worth my while to hunt it down.

I've read through the manual for the ARC amp, it seems I can go to 3 channel mode and adjust for 4 Ohm load, so I guess problem solved.

Next step is to decide on cables and soundproofing I suppose.

I hope everyone is staying safe during these trying times.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would recommend the pioneer DEH-80prs and going active.
I run the 80prs along with the gb60 and gb15 in my s2000 as well.
Here is the build log:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hey P,

Nice car! I hope to have mine turn out like that too....but don't think it will be possible to mount my JL10W6 sub quite like that. Nice pods too, I think I may have to drill the door since I don't have a clue how to customize the pillar.

Since I have the crossover already, I'm just gonna try it and if I don't like it, I can always just go active. Is the sound improved or is it about maximizing amp performance?

That 80prs HU definitely looks like a quality unit. I'll have to find a dealer that stocks it first.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
335 Posts
The improvement in sounds mostly comes from
Being able to digitally process each speaker.

There are some enclosures designed for the s2000 you can buy off ebay that do work well, I’ve used them in old builds. And if there is not enough depth just build you a baffle on top of it.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts