DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a great forum. I've already learned a good amount from reading existing posts and thought I'd post my current thought/plan to help cut down on the dumb decisions I'd likely make.

I'm doing my '96 S-10 extended cab which has a Pioneer DEH-P44 head unit. It has a built-in 3 band parametric eq with 4 different Q settings and 4 center frequencies. This is more than any other headunit I have had before, but I'm not sure it's up to snuff for the level that many of the higher end systems here have. It doesn't have a built-in crossover that I am aware of. I hope it is a good starting point.

I also have an old JBL GTQ200, 4ch bridgeable into 4 ohm amplifier. I was planning on bridging this into a 4 ohm 8" Quattro sealed sub, which I also have. There is a built-in crossover for each channel, 12 db I think. I would use the other 2 channels for driving the front speakers, but am honestly not sure how well this would work out, as it may not be well suited for driving the front speakers. I was planning on using a passive crossover for the front channels, but I don't think that is the best idea from the other system configurations I have seen here.

Originally, I had planned on using the Vifa Infinity buyout from PE for the doors, however it seems to me that the RS180 has a bit of a following here and I'm not opposed to trying that out. Also, I thought of using some silkies that I have here for the tweeters, however I think I'll read up on some other options more suited for that task, as I doubt they are the ideal solution.

The DIY article on door treatments was well written and I really like the techniques presented. I'll try to follow that verbatim, using Raamat and Ensolite in the doors. I have 2 sheets of asphalt mat left over from Mcmaster-carr, which I thought I'd use in the rest of the extended cab area of the truck. If this isn't a good substitute for Raamat in that area, then let me know and I'll save it for another project.

I'm willing to part with any of my existing items above if they are a huge bottleneck in getting a good bang for the buck SQ installation. I'd prefer to keep the installation as invisible as practical, as I'm not fond of donating my stuff to sticky fingered passers by. I'm also not interested in overly high spl, just a nice full soundstage similar to a mid-line DIY home system. While I'd love to stay below $300 in additional spending, I'd happily go $500-700 if it would make a huge difference. Note that I have not mentioned any active crossovers, other than the one included in the JBL amp, as I don't have one and would like a recommendation if that is the direction I should go.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to try and cover most of the bases instead of simply saying "What should I buy for the perfect system?" or another such pointless question.

Thanks for the great resource! If there are any forum etiquette rules I missed, please let me know!

Sandy.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Well, first off, welcome to the forum. Second, ummmm, well, you have a lot of options here. Using your existing equipment is fine. It's just using it where it's best suited.

Your JBL amp is rated at 37 x 4. There are 2 places this amp can be used. First, would be to run your 8" sub off of the rear channels (bridged), and the front 2 channels to drive some tweeters. Then buy another amp to run some midbass/midrange drivers. That setup would definitely keep you within your price range.

Second, and this would be my suggestion, would be to bridge both channels of your JBL amp and run "2" subs. That would require you to buy another Quattro, but I think it would be well worth it. I say this because one 8" sub ran off of 100 watts is going to have a hard time keeping up with a moderately powered set of components. Then buy another amp for your front stage. Something like 75-100 watts per channel, then get a decent set of components. A decent amp can be found of ebay for around $100.00 that would do just fine.

If you really want to use the tweeters you currently own, and there's no reason you shouldn't at this point, and decide to go route #2, I have a set of Kicker crossovers that use a 3.5k crossover point. You could have them for the price of shipping. Then just buy a decent 4 ohm driver for your front stage and you should be set. With the crossover, you will need a driver that extends up to 3.5k well. A suggestion would be the MG 7" 4 ohm woofer from Vifa. It's a driver I really like in that it does extend pretty high for the size of driver. 2 of them would cost under $100.00.

Total cost of option 2 would be around $300.00 after shipping.

As far as the High Temp Mastic sheet you have from McMaster-Carr, I'd definitely use it. Dynamat has been known to relabel this stuff with their own logo and sell it for a ridiculous profit. So, by all means, use up what you have.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comments. It got me thinking in a different direction. I pondered adding another Quattro, but I think that might be a little too much area sacrificed. The truck is my main mode of transportation and while I most often only have 1 other passenger at most, I'd hate to sacrifice the utility of both jump seats if at all possible. If you still think this is the best concept, I'll contemplate some sort of arrangement that would concentrate both subs in one area behind the driver's position, though.

I agree that the JBL amp is marginal at best on power, especially if I'm considering driving the RS 180 at 8 ohm. It was something I was dismissing as OK, but thoughtfully looking at it again, I'm not sure it is a good idea. I think that amp will only suffice bridged at best.

Today, I contemplated selling the JBL ($50) and buying a pair of ED nine.4's. I thought, if I bridged 2 channels for the one Quattro, I'd be better off at roughly 150w. I could then run a pair of tweeters off the same amp for 65w into 4ohm, which I think would be plenty. That would leave the second nine.4 to bridge each channel for a pair of RS 180's at 8 ohm for a conservative 75w each. I'm still not sure that it is the best solution, but one that sounded better than I had presented initially.

What are your thoughts? Am I falling into a pit trying this with the ed amps or is this a really good approach? I'm thinking that this option, being totally active, could be an efficiency plus, but a bad idea executed well is still a bad idea. If I should look closer at running 4ohm components with passive crossovers for the fronts, that changes the amp choices a bit for sure and I am not against that at all. I have a few crossovers (and SoundEasy, which I did not mention before, oops) which could allow a decent passive solution if required.

Thanks again for the response. I appreciate that you took the time to help me spend my money wisely!

Sandy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts