DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking into this unit for processing for my 8250. i'm going to be making custom cables. is there anyway to sum the left and right signals from one of the balanced outputs on the h/u to present a mono signal to a single input on the x-over (6 pin miniDIN to XLR)? the corresponding output would go to my sub amp, allowing me to maintain use of the fader on the h/u for sub control.

also, the manual describes the in/outs as "servo-balanced". in this case, which figure from the van den hul site is applicable for xlr to rca cables?
http://www.vandenhul.com/artpap/wiring2.htm

one more thing: any news on the 12v conversion yet, npdang? sorry if you're getting tired of that question

-dave

(ps. enjoying the site :) )

·
Registered
242 Posts
i just pm'd him on this matter. I'm not sure if he wants me to disclose the ultra top secret information he revealed to me so i will keep my mouth shut. lmao

i'm sure he'll chime in.. i have no clue when it's coming out though.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Just keep the output in stereo, and sum it to mono on a single channel using the processor. I highly recommend downloading and playing with the software in order to see all the features, and how to use them. www.behringer.com

Also, you want to use config #2. Using #1 will kill your output voltage.

As for the 12v power supply, all I can say is soon I hope?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
npdang said:
Just keep the output in stereo, and sum it to mono on a single channel using the processor. I highly recommend downloading and playing with the software in order to see all the features, and how to use them. www.behringer.com
it certainly would be easiest to use only one output on the h/u and two inputs on the behringer, but i then would lose the ability to fade front to back for sub control, which is often nice.

robm had this suggestion (it's easy enough to wire, but i don't know enough to say whether it's a good or bad idea otherwise):

"As for summing the balanced outputs, you could probably get away with a simple resistor mixer. A better bet would be an active mixer, but that'd be an extra piece of equipment.

You can make a resistor mixer by taking four approximately 2k resistors, attaching them to L+, L-, R+, and R-. The other end of the resistors on L+ and R+ should be connected together to form the output +, and the same for L- and R-. You may get increased noise due to the higher output impedance from the resistors."

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just tried out the software, pretty intuitive really. unless i missed something though, i don't see anyway it would allow use of both front and rear h/u outputs. nor should it, i guess, as summing the l/r channels of the rear h/u output would have to occur upstream of the behringer unit. is it me, or is it strange to have an odd number of inputs?? i'll try RobM's suggestion and if i end up with noise, we'll go from there.

now all i need is a decent power supply (hint, hint :wink:)

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Ah I see. I thought you just wanted to sum the l+r channels for mono.

Yes you would lose the ability to control the sub remotely. My advice, buy an amp with remote gain control :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts