DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they mastered and mixed differently?
Are there any good ripping techniques I can use that they do?
thanks
rob

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Well, yeah they are mastered good, but the recordings were good to begin with, and that's really the most important thing since you can't make a bad recording good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
+1 on high quality source material. They picked well-engineered recordings that emphasize realism and nuance. Most popular recordings (pop, rock, country) are mixed and mastered to maximize impact and cut through on the radio, much to the lament of many producers and recording engineers.

The rips are very good partly because of the high bitrate, but also because of the codec that was used. It's a lossless codec, meaning the compression algorithm doesn't throw away any bits. In theory, when you decode it on playback or to convert to CD audio you get back every single bit you put in. The trade off is the compressed file isn't as small as an MP3 or other "lossy" format would be.

MP3 is a "lossy" format. By using psychoacoustic models it discards or reduces precision of audio information that is less audible to human hearing. For example, the masking effect: When there are two sounds of the same frequency, but different loudness, we only hear the louder of the two. MP3 throws away the information that masking would cause to be "hidden" from the human ear. Trouble is nothing is perfect. Even at very high bitrates some encoders create files that sound like crap. Some are tolerable, but none are imperceptably different (in my experience) from the original recording.

Frankly even the rips that were posted here probably don't sound quite as good as the original CD, but they sound quite good.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
plus [ excellent recording techniques ] :)

minus [ ain't free ] :(

Elusive Disc - Hardware, Accessories, SACDs, Vinyl LPs, DVD-As and MORE! Call us (800)-782-3472

quote:>

XRCD allows the listener to hear what the producer and artist intended... the sound of the original master tape!

You don't need a "golden ear" to hear the improvement in an xrcd. The improvement in sound quality of xrcd over a conventional CD is not subtle. Obvious gains in clarity, transparency, dynamics and warmth of XRCD can be heard by all. XRCD allows the listener to hear what the producer and artist intended to hear the sound of the original master tape. And, unlike some other recent attempts to improve CD sound quality, no additional equipment or add on converter is necessary to fully realize the sonic benefits of the xrcd process.

All XRCDs will play on ANY CD Player!

XRCD is the optimization of CD mastering and manufacturing. The care and time put into the creation of an XRCD far exceeds that of any other compact disc. Sophisticated analysis by both test instrument and ear are used to evaluate every step of signal transfer, from the inception of the mastering process through the final manufacture of the disc. The degree of specialization of the process is such that only one production line at one manufacturing facility in YOKOHAMA, Japan is of sufficient quality to produce the XRCD.

Find out why virtually every audio publication in the US has given XRCD a glowing "thumbs up." LISTEN AND COMPARE.

Learn about the Process: XRCD, XRCD2, XRCD24 Super Analogue & XRCD24 Refined Digital

What makes the XRCD - 24 bit Refined Digital so impressive:
• XRCD is a standard “Red Book” CD and can be enjoyed on any CD player.
• A 24 bit digital signal is used as an essential part of the CD manufacturing process.
• High precision DVD K2 Laser and K2 Rubidium Clock are used together.

quote:>

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's a shame most of them are so incredibly boring.
so the music you like would probably be recorded like junk - besides its useless trying to use most good SQ systems for the normal ordinary run of the mill top twenty type of tracks cos most SQ systems would sound overly clinical with those and make those crappy recordings sound ....... well ....... crappy

ive got loads of reference discs - and ive found that as my system gets better i cant listen to my old retro stuff and my old vinyl rips cos those are ruthlessly found wanting and in the end the only stuff i can stomach on these "good" systems is the brilliantly recorded reference stuff (all boring stuff to you) the rest sound like cats mating on a tin roof trying to use claws for a a stronghold

most modern music is to me downright poorly recorded - and mostly its the boring genre's of music that try to record things in a lifelike manner ie smooth jazz and classical and genre's of that ilk - the rest is all music in a can thats competing to see who can get it to sound the loudest but the worst

i havent bothered much with music over the last two years besides for the odd jazz disc but i still search the bargain bins for those old forgotten classics that may just pique my interest - the popular stuff is just very badly recorded so it doesnt really present the hobby of listening to music in a very good light - so i for one will stick to the "boring" well recorded stuff

·
Registered
629 Posts
This cuts through all of the ******** marketing hoohaw...

If it will play on any CD player, it's 16 bit, 44.1Khz.

Now, I'm sure that they do the A/D encoding or recording in 24 bit and that they take very good care in the mastering process and they do some proprietary sound shaping processes, but bits is bits... and CDs are ALL 16 bits, regardless of the bitrate of the master.

a$$hole is very correct on the excellent recording techniques, though. Good recordings sound good. 'nuff said. :dead_horse:

All XRCDs will play on ANY CD Player!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts